Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adam Warlock

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2016
Breaking: Boom! The explosion of Jony Ive's pencil snapping destroyed Apple's state-of-the-art R&D facility.
Is he even designing phones any more? I seem to recall he's busy with tables and stores of late. Can't blame the guy all that much for looking for a change, but I suspect he rubber-stamps product designs from others nowadays rather than get into the nitty-gritty himself.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
I noticed this. I'm not sure why people care about a phone being edgeless. I don't see the benefit just yet.
Beyond the obvious of having a larger screen without compromising handholdability? This phone has roughly the dimensions of the iPhone 6/7 Plus but has a 6.4" instead of 5.5" screen. Applying the same ratio, you could have a 5.5" screen in a phone the size of the 4.7" iPhone. You don't see a benefit in this?

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Beyond the obvious of having a larger screen without compromising handholdability? This phone has roughly the dimensions of the iPhone 6/7 Plus but has a 6.4" instead of 5.5" screen. Applying the same ratio, you could have a 5.5" screen in a phone the size of the 4.7" iPhone. You don't see a benefit in this?
I honestly don't. I see it as cosmetic and not much else.

sanook997

macrumors regular
May 29, 2012
Bangkok
"Junk" company? Dude, they're like the Apple of China.

I see no point in shelling out close to a thousand dollars for flagship devices due to the influx of great devices from Xiaomi and Oppo that cost half.

Seriously...have you actually handled one of their phones. They have a long way to go before their is any comparison to Apple or any top supplier.

Oppo on the other hand probably makes some of the best hardware in the world......

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Just wow, best looking smartphone ever!

And lol :D.
102910h6sjr2cbs36sw33w.jpg.thumb.jpg
Since it runs Android why isn't the graphic comparing it to a Pixel? I mean the tech press said Pixel was the best Android phone ever. Wouldn't Xiaomi want to compare to the best?

We know why iPhone bezels currently exist. The home button isn't a trivial thing. In fact many complained about the iPhone 7 home button because it isn't a physical button being depressed and doesn't provide that satisfying 'click'. From a useability standpoint what makes a completely edgeless display better? It might look prettier but what makes it better? If I'm holding the phone in landscape mode won't my thumbs be converting up content?

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Love it.

Kinda worries me how a phone without bezels will take even the smallest of drops though. So even if you have an (almost) bezel-free phone, you'll probably end up adding bezels anyway in the form of protective casing.

chasonstone

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2010
Kentucky
Looks very nice. I would love for Apple to do this, without the bottom bezel... or split the bottom bezel size (on this device) between the top and bottom for symmetry and likely the camera. Unless we think Apple is getting the camera behind the display?

Reactions: otternonsense

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The weird cousin that you forget exists
But just a week or two ago it was the best Android phone ever. I guess bezels didn't matter then. But now the comparison will conveniently forget that this phone exists.

x0vash0x

Suspended
Dec 1, 2014
Since it runs Android why isn't the graphic comparing it to a Pixel? I mean the tech press said Pixel was the best Android phone ever. Wouldn't Xiaomi want to compare to the best?

Because they're a Chinese company and Google is blocked in China. There's not reason to compare it to any Google product. If anything, they would compare it to Oppo R9 which is the best selling premium Android phone in China right now.

Reactions: retroneo

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
I agree it looks good, but I don't think it's practical. If I look at my 6S as I am typing this, the fingers that hold it wrap around the edge almost exactly to the edge of the display.
Why would I want the display to extend to potentially obscured space? It cannot really be used anyway.

Edit: talking mainly about left and right edges

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.