Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akcolleen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2005
Hi All,
I've read the posts regarding Xineplayer as a preferred region free DVD player, and have downloaded it to my vintage G4.
I have changed the system preferences to open Xineplayer as my default player, but as am still freezing up pre- playing anything but the standard piracy ad.The window for Xineplayer opens, but not much else.
What other settings do I need to address please in order to play my DVDs successfully?
I'm all out of my five changes on my stock DVD player, and we do love our region 2 discs here in remote Alaska.
Thanks for your help, and this great resource,
C.

shidoshi

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2004
One of the first questions is, do you have a DVD drive that is friendly to playing any region of DVD?

I was originally under the impression that so long as you found software that would play DVDs from any region, you were good to go. That, unfortunately, isn't the case. Some DVD drives will allow you to play the DVDs so long as the software can handle discs from any region, while others won't. For example, on my iMac G5, it won't even begin to let me play DVDs from any region, no matter what I use - VLC or so on.

So, that could be your problem. If you haven't already, use the System Profiler to find what make and model number of DVD drive you have, and do a bit of research on the net about it. There may even be Firmware updates that you can get, which would make the DVD drive any region and would remove the need for xineplayer completely.

I'm not an expert in this stuff, though, so that's about the best suggestion I can give.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.