Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mowogg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2004
San Gabriel, CA
Sorry for posting this here, but I don't know of any Windows forums.

My inlaws have a Dell with Windows XP. They also have AOL dial up. I know, how 1998.

There is one feature I can't figure out, and it's pretty cool.

They have two log ins on the machine (His & Hers) and on the log in screen it tells them how many outstanding emails they have. Now, keep in mind that they have dial up on a second phone line. I don't know if AOL or Windows is calling in and chacking on its own or what.

Has anyone else seen this? Do you know what it is doing or how it does this?

My inlaws are of no help, they use the machine to check email, find cheap airfares and play solitaire.

TIA,
Rob

colosodian

macrumors member
May 1, 2005
SF Bay Area
It's not dialing in to check,*it just stores how many unopened emails you have. Ive seen it work for me on outlook, thunderbird, and hotmail.

If you hover over, it will also tell you which email address its for.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
The info about how many e-mail messages you have is stored in your mail profile, and Windows is smart enough to read this information out of the registry and show it to you at the login screen. There's nothing magic about it...

mowogg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2004
San Gabriel, CA
clayj said:
The info about how many e-mail messages you have is stored in your mail profile, and Windows is smart enough to read this information out of the registry and show it to you at the login screen. There's nothing magic about it...

So it's unread on the local machine and not on the server. That's less interesting. It would be cool to have some baic info (emails, RSS feed updates, etc...) available at the login. I guess that goes against having the log in to protect basic information such as these.

Thanks for the responses all!

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
mowogg said:
So it's unread on the local machine and not on the server. That's less interesting. It would be cool to have some baic info (emails, RSS feed updates, etc...) available at the login. I guess that goes against having the log in to protect basic information such as these.

Thanks for the responses all!

That's asking a lot of Windows lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.