Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pndrgnsvc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Georgetown, Texas
Just checked to ensure that my wife received the latest XProtect updater (v2083, Sep 29). She did not!

Alas, she was still on v2081, July 30. My subsequent research indicated that somehow the setting in System Preferences/App Store to enable “Install system data apps and security updates” had not been enabled. That has now been corrected.

About how long will it take for Apple to download v2083 or is there an easy way to force the update?

TIA

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Reactions: Pndrgnsvc

Pndrgnsvc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Georgetown, Texas

Many thanks for the links, they are greatly appreciated.

But when I try to install to install the XProtect, the installer asks for the location of where install to install it. And that I don't know.

Again, your help is humbly solicited.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
You can enforce a check with this Terminal command:
Code:
sudo softwareupdate --background-critical

I believe it is enough to do an update check in the App Store as well.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Many thanks for the links, they are greatly appreciated.

But when I try to install to install the XProtect, the installer asks for the location of where install to install it. And that I don't know.

Again, your help is humbly solicited.

That shouldn't happen. The only reason I can think of why that might have happened is that you might have tried to install the wrong one.

There are 2 versions of xprotect.

XProtectPlistConfigData_1011.pkg should only be installed on el capitan or sierra.

XProtectPlistConfigData.pkg should only be installed on systems older than el capitan.

I thought I made that clear before.

Anyway the reason there are 2 versions is that the locations they install onto are different.

Reactions: Pndrgnsvc

Pndrgnsvc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Georgetown, Texas
Thanks for staying with me, Tywebb. I went back and redid things, and as you noted, operator error was indeed at play.

Now the world, well at least my machine is sunshine and light.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.