Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

warragul

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
In an attempt to add more, cheap, fast HD capacity to my Xserve I've bought a PCIe USB3 card from ORICO. Now I find it needs an external source of +5V to work properly, or at all. The PCIe slot doesn't supply +5V, only +3.3V and +12V. I suppose they could have derived +5V from the +12V but opted to cost-shift onto the user instead. Or maybe the current draw of bus-powered USB HDDs was beyond the PCIe's capacity; all my USB3 drives are self-powered.

So, does anyone know where I could tap into a safe source of +5V on an Xserve 1,2 or 1,1?

jamall

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2003
Canberra, Australia
Seeing as nobody else chimed in, the most obvious source of +5V would be one of the existing USB slots. You'd have to modify a cable and have it double back inside the chassis through one of the ventilation holes, but it would be a fairly simple hack.

warragul

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
'Doh! Obvious indeed. Thanks for making me feel like an idiot, jamall. :)
Of course, there's only 500mA available there but it should be enough, as long as I use self-powered peripherals.
Should be able to tap it off the back of the socket, rather than using an external plug
Thanks again.
The whole thing has been rendered moot, though. I can't find a driver for the cards I have, although I have a driver for a 0194,1033 card installed in an earlier (1,1) Xserve. All the chatter these days is about drivers for recent versions of OSX Server and I'm stuck with the 32-bit EFI that limits me to older versions. Perhaps more research on SFOTT is in order.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.