Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
<3 DuckDuckGo

I'd love to see Apple swap over to DDG when the contract with Google ends in 2015, and actually, I can easily see them doing that.

1 - DDG is one of the four options you're allowed to pick from in iOS 8 and Yosemite, so Apple is obviously aware of its existance.

2 - DDG is the only search engine that doesn't track you. What with Tim Cook's "They can cart us out in a box" or whatever, I think Apple could swap over to DDG, just to show how committed they are to user privacy.

And if users are free to swap over to using the other search engines, why not?

Plus, besides DDG's main claim to fame of not tracking you, I actually think it's the best search engine on account of !bangs and having the cleanest UI. The only time it ever falls short is when I'm doing image searches... I feel like Google Images normally returns exactly what I'm looking for whereas DDG's images are hit-or-miss.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Isn't Yahoo just using Bing as its engine now?

That's what I keep hearing, and I want to think I read that somewhere a while ago, but if you do the same searches I don't think you get identical results so the algorithms may be slightly different.

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
Take Bing. No way to Yahoo. Bing is good. I like it better than Google. Duck Duck Go of course should stay an option.

There is a definite brand bias with Google Search. A study was done where they took Bing search results and labeled them Google, and vice versa. People chose the Bing results as the results they preferred when they were labeled as Google, even though they were in reality Bing results. Then when they showed them the same results labeled accurately as Bing, suddenly they didn't prefer them anymore.

Screw Google already.

EDIT: Here is the article about the study Google Brand Bias

Last edited:

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
If I can change it back to google then OK, but if it's set permanently to anything but google then I will be using chrome. Bing and yahoo suck compared to google.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I do not understand why Apple is cozying up with Microsoft these days given how terse relations were in the 1990s.... when Windows PCs with a clearly knockoff interface were eating Apple's market share alive and throwing Apple out of business at the time. Microsoft was making more money just licensing Windows than Apple was with their whole operation.

I am guessing this Bing deal is still a part of the deal that Apple made with Microsoft when they bailed them out in 1997 and Microsoft invested a sizable amount in Apple to have Apple bundle Internet Explorer with every shipping Mac. Looks like this "deal" is still going...

Personally, I grew up in the 1990s during all this, and have been very anti-Microsoft my whole life. I was even very anti-Intel as well, but use the current day Macs anyways once I found they were faster than the PPCs at running OS X.

I would rather see Apple engineer its own search service which blows everything away or which leverages multiple engines. Apple has the money, the resources, the infrastructure and everything else to develop such a system to dominate the future search market.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
3 words: Duck Duck Go

One word: No

Yahoo, Bing, and Google can pretty much find all find local listings of places I've searched. Duck Duck Go cannot even find all the restaurants that the other engines find when you search "restaurant type + city"

quickcalibre

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
London
I'll be using google in google chrome for sure, but I doubt if either yahoo or microsoft offer a few hundred millions more, it'll do any harm. :)

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
in fairness Apple and MS have always worked together - office for Mac and iOS, MS fonts on Mac OS, iTunes and iCloud for Windows, and Siri using Bing.

however, I don't find bing any better than google whereas Duck Duck Go really gives google a run for their money.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
I do not understand why Apple is cozying up with Microsoft these days given how terse relations were in the 1990s when Windows PCs with a knockoff interface were eating Apple's market share alive and throwing Apple out of business at the time.

I am guessing this Bing deal is still a part of the deal that Apple made with Microsoft when they bailed them out in 1997 and Microsoft invested a sizable amount in Apple to have Apple bundle Internet Explorer with every shipping Mac. Looks like this "deal" is still going...

Personally, I grew up in the 1990s during all this, and have been very anti-Microsoft my whole life. I was even very anti-Intel as well, but use the current day Macs anyways once I found they were faster than the PPCs at running OS X.

I would rather see Apple engineer its own search service which blows everything away or which leverages multiple engines. Apple has the money, the resources, the infrastructure and everything else to develop such a system to dominate the future search market.

Because corporations don't use emotions and sentiments to make business decisions..

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
I do not understand why Apple is cozying up with Microsoft these days given how terse relations were in the 1990s when Windows PCs with a knockoff interface were eating Apple's market share alive and throwing Apple out of business at the time.

That deal with Microsoft is LONG over. Plus, these days, Apple is far more pissed off at Google than at Microsoft.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
One word: No

Yahoo, Bing, and Google can pretty much find all find local listings of places I've searched. Duck Duck Go cannot even find all the restaurants that the other engines find when you search "restaurant type + city"

try using apple maps / yelp for that instead. But you're right DuckDuckGo seems to go via IP address for location which is terrible for finding the nearest restaurant in the UK because there is so much overlap now. Maybe there is some way to tell DuckDuckGo to use location services ? a pop-up should appear requesting it but it doesn't.

oneshotpro

Suspended
Aug 13, 2014
I use duckduckgo at the moment and find it as useful as google was. I actually tried yahoo for a few months and eventually changed back to google as it wasnt that great, before switching to duckduckgo which is fine.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
That deal with Microsoft is LONG over. Plus, these days, Apple is far more pissed off at Google than at Microsoft.

The pissed off-ed-ness of Apple towards Google is not because of their super search engine or their YouTube service. This is all because of Android and competition in the mobile arena.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
I reckon Apple will either switch to using DuckDuckGo/Yandex or buy out DuckDuckGo/Yandex but maintain the philosophy and policy!

Has anyone else switched to using this search engine recently, I really can't fault it and might not be quite as good as google but beats yahoo/bing in my opinion.

I use DuckDuckGo because I like their privacy philosophy and dislike those of Microsoft and Google. For that reason I would rather see DuckDuckGo remain in private hands. Using a search engine that is not owned by the owner of the operating system or Internet browser seems like the smart way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.