Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

urban1985_

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2004
Burnaby, British Columbia
I don't know if anyone else has this problem. Yahoo Messenger for Mac doesn't support the chat room feature, so I try to go on the website using Safari and Firefox. The java applet loads, and I see things fine, but then things start screwing up. It keeps reloading the room I'm in, or it shows up on the bottom of the screen where the ad banner is supposed to be.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Or of any programs that support chat rooms? Or am I just doomed to never go on the Yahoo rooms again on my Mac :(

Pugdawg1

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2004
Elko, Nevada
I also have a problem chatting on Yahoo. When I go to a chat room, for me its just blank. Nothing there but the box where the chat would be. I have a small group of friends I'd like to chat with and would REALLY like to get this to work.

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
you could try IE. I also remember apple used to have this weird program called java applet player or something and that would sometimes work when safari didn't. it wasn't a web browser - you had to have a link that went directly to an applet or else it wouldn't work.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I haven't tried it, because I don't use Y! Msngr much anymore, but Adium recently added the ability to both join and create multi-person chats using Yahoo's system (and also AIM, but only to join existing MSN chatrooms -- not create them).

It can be downloaded here:

http://www.adiumx.com

mwpeters8182

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2003
Boston, MA
May I suggest ChitChatX? It's a pretty solid implementation of Yahoo Chat. I haven't used it much, but I have a lot of friends that do.

MP

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
urban1985_ said:
Thanks I ended up downloading ChitchatX. Seems to be working alright for now.

So how well does it work? One reviewer on versiontracker didnt seem to impressed lol:

"This is the poorest excuse for chat I have ever seen. It is nothing but a bunch of crap. You can only use one name and I have never seen such a collection of idiots together in one place. I will stick to IRC and leave Yahoo to the immature people. "

joetronic

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2004
New Oxford, PA
MacSA said:
So how well does it work? One reviewer on versiontracker didnt seem to impressed lol:

"This is the poorest excuse for chat I have ever seen. It is nothing but a bunch of crap. You can only use one name and I have never seen such a collection of idiots together in one place. I will stick to IRC and leave Yahoo to the immature people. "

It seems he is giving a review for Yahoo chat itself, not ChitchatX. But I do have to agree, some of these chatrooms seem to collect some of the most immature out there. But IRC has some of its own too, to much of "if you don't know how to........ Your a troll, or a flamer, ect.." I guess you just have to try and find what you like.

I have used ChitchatX and Adium. I seem to use Adium more than the other most of the time. But both are good, and both work equally as well.

urban1985_

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2004
Burnaby, British Columbia
joetronic said:
It seems he is giving a review for Yahoo chat itself, not ChitchatX. But I do have to agree, some of these chatrooms seem to collect some of the most immature out there. But IRC has some of its own too, to much of "if you don't know how to........ Your a troll, or a flamer, ect.." I guess you just have to try and find what you like.

I have used ChitchatX and Adium. I seem to use Adium more than the other most of the time. But both are good, and both work equally as well.

Yeah it was a comment on Yahoo chat itself. I don't really have a problem with it, a lot of poeple on Yahoo are pretty immature though. I don't really go on it for that. I just have talk to the friends I have on there mostly.

As for the app itself, it's a decent app. Simple, does the job.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Hey All,

As an enthused member of the Macintosh Yahoo chat room our community would like to welcome you all to the room.

Use

ChitChat @ http://chit.sourceforge.net/ Which works with both OS 9 and X

or

Charla @ http://charla.sourceforge.net/ Which is OS X native.

All three of the developers (2 for charla) are regular visiters to the Mac chat room - so if any problems or suggestions then you just tell them!

Hope to see you all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.