Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPost

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2003
Check out: http://music.yahoo.com/jessicaforyou

If you've been following certain blogs, apparently, Yahoo! has been trying to convince the record labels to let them sell DRM-free songs. They have been arguing to sell songs in the MP3 format that would be playable in iTunes and on the iPod with no restrictions... no 3 or 5 computer limit... no burn limits... you can use the song however you want... on your iPod... on an MP3 CD for your car...

Today, Yahoo! is offering their first DRM-free music download for purchase. It's an MP3 (amazing 256 kbps quality!) of a Jessica Simpson tune. Regardless of what you think of Jessica Simpson, or even Yahoo! for that matter, I'm hoping that people come out to support this to show the record labels that we want DRM-free music!!!

I know this has probably crossed the line into spam, but please... we need to send a message to the record industry that we don't want our music locked up in proprietary formats that prevent us from playing it where we want.

Please help send the message!

Thank you!

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
I thought I've sent that message already by using eMusic.com. Of course, if their library included more mainstream stuff, as well as some of the more famous oldies, I would love it.

Still, I cannot blame recording industry for wanting DRM. I am not sharing any of the songs I have downloaded with anybody else, but I am not a teenager under peer pressure to give his last Britney Spears song to some of his classmates. Besides, I doubt there will be too many takers for my Ali Farka Toure or Neko Case songs. :)

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
theBB said:
I doubt there will be too many takers for my Ali Farka Toure or Neko Case songs. :)

You would be surprised. Don't you know, alternative is the mainstream these days ;)

I just dumped Napster as having switched to Mac, it was proving too much of a hassle to try and use in Parallels. (On-PC playback works, download / MTP transfer doesn't in case anyone's wondering) I don't like purchased DRM in the manner of iTunes, but I do like the promise of subscription DRM. Napster was a shame to lose, but it's not like I don't have mountains of as-of-yet unlistened-to music lying around :eek:

I'm now eagerly waiting for a Mac-compatible subscription service. Even if I don't use it every day, it's very handy just to hear about a new album and go listen to it without hassle.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
iPost said:
Today, Yahoo! is offering their first DRM-free music download for purchase. It's an MP3 (amazing 256 kbps quality!) of a Jessica Simpson tune.

Good Lord. Of all the things to take DRM off of, this is what they choose? This is the song they'll permit me to put on unlimited computers?

The RIAA is freaking evil ...

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
thedude110 said:
Good Lord. Of all the things to take DRM off of, this is what they choose? This is the song they'll permit me to put on unlimited computers?

The RIAA is freaking evil ...

I'm guessing that is their plan: give you all the DRM-free that you want, but only from bad 90s pop artists. And the barbie song. Then they'll charge you $2 a song for good music with a DRM that lets you only play the song once; any more times than that you have to pay again. And everyone will do it.

slackersonly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
I always thought the microsoft would find a way to offer this first as a way to dig at Apple and use something corny like Start Me Up (Rolling Stones) from their previous ads.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Felldownthewell said:
I'm guessing that is their plan: give you all the DRM-free that you want, but only from bad 90s pop artists.

Ooh ... free, unlimited Ace of Base?

When I was in college I was studying for a philosophy exam with a bunch of friends and "The Sign" by Ace of Base came on the radio. We were studying Heidegger and we burst out laughing because we all heard the refrain as:

"I saw Da Sein, I opened up my eyes and saw Da Sein." :p

Anybody else enjoy a good Heidegger joke?

Anybody?

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
theBB said:
I thought I've sent that message already by using eMusic.com.
Right on. Their library is limited but the price is right and the DRM (or lack therof) is great. As for the Yahoo thing, didn't they used to offer a whole bunch of free music downloads that were DRM free (kind of like advertising for musicians) which they took away when they put up their store thing.

Hytower77

macrumors regular
thedude110 said:
Ooh ... free, unlimited Ace of Base?

When I was in college I was studying for a philosophy exam with a bunch of friends and "The Sign" by Ace of Base came on the radio. We were studying Heidegger and we burst out laughing because we all heard the refrain as:

"I saw Da Sein, I opened up my eyes and saw Da Sein." :p

Anybody else enjoy a good Heidegger joke?

Anybody?

That destroyed me...I need to go lay my head down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.