Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yahoo is under investigation from the Securities and Exchange Commission over its failure to disclose its massive data breaches sooner, according to The Wall Street Journal.

In September 2016, the internet company revealed that an unidentified hacker had stolen the personal data of "at least" 500 million users. Then last month, the internet company admitted that over one billion Yahoo user accounts had been compromised in a hack dating back to August 2013. Information stolen included names, email addresses, phone numbers, birth dates, hashed passwords, security questions and answers.

yahoo-800x302.jpg

According to today's report, the SEC is investigating why Yahoo waited years before disclosing the massive data breach, despite the fact that some staff had known about the incident since at least 2014. The SEC has requested documents from Yahoo relating to the hacks in order to decide whether the internet giant could have reported the breach to investors sooner.

Yahoo is currently negotiating a takeover bid by Verizon, who is reportedly seeking a $1 billion discount off an original $4.8 billion buyout agreement because of the hacking revelations. It's unclear what impact the SEC investigation will have on the deal, but Yahoo's share price had already fallen following the news.

Article Link: Yahoo Under SEC Investigation for Not Disclosing Massive Data Breach Sooner

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yahoo is really disappointing what happened these last few years and how their security deteriorated. Yahoo never used to be like this in the years past, now its a mine field loaded with click bait and garbage posts.

Whatever Yahoo has coming to them, they earned it.

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Perhaps Yahoo is thinking to get out the short end of the straw for this as the bid ?

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Just how big is a file/folder of 500m accounts?

Anyway, Yahoo is dead. Not sure how they make money, Tumblr, Flickr, or their crap search engine.

Reactions: vmistery

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Pretty soon Verizon will offer what Yahoo is actually worth: zero.

As for ads on MR: Adblock or similar.

Foggydog

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2014
Left Coast
Let's not be so hard on MacRumors for their adds. I know I personally haven't paid them for this site, and, there are often things I like that they advertise. Some I save for future reference to purchase.
Those that don't care for the adds, wou7you prefer being charged 9.99 monthly? Not being sarcastic, but I personally hate reoccurring payments.

Thank you MacRumors for your cool adds. :)

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
Let's not be so hard on MacRumors for their adds. I know I personally haven't paid them for this site, and, there are often things I like that they advertise. Some I save for future reference to purchase.
Those that don't care for the adds, wou7you prefer being charged 9.99 monthly? Not being sarcastic, but I personally hate reoccurring payments.

MacRumors has adds? DPS better kill them first then go back to attacking the boss.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009

Needing an adblocker these days is just as important (or actually more important) as an anti-virus software installed. I have been to legitimate "trust worthy" websites that have ads, dealt with them, but have encountered infections due to the insecure-ness of ads on websites. I do not mind ads. But do not make me compromise my computer security.

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
Thanks to Yahoo's incompetence the identity of every member of my family was stolen.

Borin

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2016
Somewhere over the rainbow.
Hopefully their change in leadership will actually improve things. I don't think we should cheer the death throes of any giant corporation; the next one could touch a lot closer to home.

Ads are awful on the web, but it isn't like MR aren't providing a way out of it.

Reactions: Septembersrain

thespacekid

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
Perhaps someone would investigate the theft of more detailed personal data for over 20 million Americans as a result of the US Gov OPM hack.

Reactions: SteveW928

Foggydog

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2014
Left Coast
Needing an adblocker these days is just as important (or actually more important) as an anti-virus software installed. I have been to legitimate "trust worthy" websites that have ads, dealt with them, but have encountered infections due to the insecure-ness of ads on websites. I do not mind ads. But do not make me compromise my computer security.

You do make a good point. I am so used to never needing to worry about viruses, that I don't even think of that anymore.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Thanks to Yahoo's incompetence the identity of every member of my family was stolen.

Based on what we collectively know about the security of all on-line systems, I'm surprised that you blame only Yahoo for incompetence. I have used several Yahoo services and my data was also stolen (but not my identity), but fortunately I understand what data is safe to give others and what is not. ISTM that you and your family might have learned an important lesson and also share some of the blame.

I don't leave my wallet in a locked car because it might easily get stolen, even though the car should be secure enough to protect it, the police should be available to keep someone from breaking into my car, and the establishment where I park my car should have security cameras and policies to keep thieves out.

Common sense, I guess, is lacking when assaulted with all of the free gee wiz services marketed to the inexperienced. At the end of the day free has the value that you pay for it, nothing. Free means corners have to be cut. Free means that value judgements are sorely lacking. Free means that you are not the primary concern. A good lesson for us all to keep in mind.

Of course Yahoo should be held accountable and should get the maximum penalty, but people should really think about their own data and security, and take responsibility for their own protection.

Reactions: Borin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.