Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Like others have mentioned, it seems the upload speed sand restrictions make it unlikely to get to use the 1TB.

The web interface only lets 200 pictures at a time to be uploaded. Even the Flickr Uploadr application seems to choke on big uploads. (doesn't help that it hasn't been updated in a few years)

It's a shame, since this is the first time I was thinking of using an online photo storage/presentation site.

Yahoo failur

gbc204

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2011
Darn it - I thought they will unhide my older photo sets that disappeared when I stopped paying the Pro fee, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Sigh.

Well, they're probably there SOMEWHERE, according to the FAQs:

Are my photos ever deleted?

No, your photos will not be deleted, unless you do it yourself, or fail to play by our Community Guidelines.

gbc204

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2011
So Pro users get shafted ($24.95/year is now replaced by $49.99/year ad-free experience and unlimited is now same as free 1TB). 1TB should be enough for most pro users, but outliers will now have to pay $499.99/year for 2TB (which may not be enough for some).

Not to get all "640K ought to be enough for anybody..." but if 2TB isn't enough for you right now, you probably need to do a better job discerning "keepers" when you're selecting photos to post. Even if you're shooting a medium format camera or something, that's still a pretty massive amount of storage for images. And if you just want a cloud backup of every single image you take, there are better options than paying 500 a year for Flickr.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
Wow, talk about throwing your toys out of the pram! Maybe you should lay off the sugary drinks for a while.....

Seriously, though, I know it looks different, but what is actually wrong with it? You can still do all you could before. I quite like it....

The real question is what isn't wrong with it.... On the technical side of things,
1., Performance is abysmal. The new Flickr immediately crashes my iPad and phone, and causes Firefox and Safari to hang and occasionally have to be force quit on my C2D Mac mini.
2. Stats have been deleted? Every time I click on the link I get sent to an error page.
3. The slide show system is now broken. All of my devices will only show each photo for around 0.5 seconds.
4. All of the EXIF data has been removed. When I was starting as a photographer I liked to look at others data to see how to set up my camera, now no one can do that.
5. All of my plugins are broken. Yahoo did a suberb job in giving a whole 0 minutes for developers to code for their new updated site..
6. The guest pass feature appears to have been deleted.
7. All of my collections that I meticulously maintained have been deleted against my wishes.

Not to get all "640K ought to be enough for anybody..." but if 2TB isn't enough for you right now, you probably need to do a better job discerning "keepers" when you're selecting photos to post. Even if you're shooting a medium format camera or something, that's still a pretty massive amount of storage for images. And if you just want a cloud backup of every single image you take, there are better options than paying 500 a year for Flickr.

I have a contact who archives and scans old photos. As of now he has posted over 50,000 shots, the vast majority of which are very high in quality. What would you recommend for him, when he eventually runs out of space? Be more selective in which history to save or not? Lol
This happens because users always says when they are not happy but rarely leave positive feedback. Nowadays the important thing is to whine and write message like yours, I understand if you are 11years old.

Ah the new UI rock BTW.

I'm glad you like it, you are just about the only person though... There is a comments/complaints thread on Flickr, that in the last about 16 hours has gotten around 10,000 complaints, versus what appears to be just a handful of compliments.

Last edited:

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011

Well, it's not only photos... You can also upload 1080p videos.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Maybe this is the wrong place to ask, but what's the maximum upload speed? Just tried uploading a few pictures from iPhoto to see how it works and it was... Slow. Really slow.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Maybe this is the wrong place to ask, but what's the maximum upload speed? Just tried uploading a few pictures from iPhoto to see how it works and it was... Slow. Really slow.

I can max out my 10Mb upload. I think the service is getting overloaded at the moment.

I wouldn't take anything on the site as fact until a few days have gone past. At the moment there seem to be a few broken links and some sluggishness but Flickr seems to be what most of the internet is talking about at the moment.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I can max out my 10Mb upload. I think the service is getting overloaded at the moment.

I wouldn't take anything on the site as fact until a few days have gone past. At the moment there seem to be a few broken links and some sluggishness but Flickr seems to be what most of the internet is talking about at the moment.

Thanks. Yeah, I noticed that all of a sudden my upload speed hit the ceiling so I guess you're right - server overload at flickr :)

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool

Attachments

• May 21 stats.jpg
    May 21 stats.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 87

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
So if I'm understanding it, I need to pay 50 bucks to not see ads.

...the sad thing is, I will consider it. :eek:

Gaspode67

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Oxon, UK
The real question is what isn't wrong with it.... On the technical side of things,
1., Performance is abysmal. The new Flickr immediately crashes my iPad and phone, and causes Firefox and Safari to hang and occasionally have to be force quit on my C2D Mac mini.

Can't comment on iPad performance, but it worked fine on my Mid-2007 Macbook C2D, works fine on Firefox and Chrome on my work PC, on Firefox and Safari on my early 2009 iMac, and on my Razr I.

2. Stats have been deleted? Every time I click on the link I get sent to an error page.

My stats are showing fine, either by going direct to the page as I sometimes do, or through navigating as normal from the main Flickr page or my Profile page.

3. The slide show system is now broken. All of my devices will only show each photo for around 0.5 seconds.

Again, I 've not had any issue with slideshows on any of the devices listed earlier. All working fine...

4. All of the EXIF data has been removed. When I was starting as a photographer I liked to look at others data to see how to set up my camera, now no one can do that.

Again, I can see all my EXIF data as before, including the copyright info and licence restrictions that I've set within the Camera to be added to every photo

5. All of my plugins are broken. Yahoo did a suberb job in giving a whole 0 minutes for developers to code for their new updated site..

Can't comment on that.

6. The guest pass feature appears to have been deleted.

Never used it myself, but it IS still referenced in the Help/FAQ section: Help Section.

7. All of my collections that I meticulously maintained have been deleted against my wishes.

Again, all my sets and collections appear normally, untouched, and all the tags and location data is correct.

I'm glad you like it, you are just about the only person though... There is a comments/complaints thread on Flickr, that in the last about 16 hours has gotten around 10,000 complaints, versus what appears to be just a handful of compliments.

10,000 out of how many users? If people like it, do you expect them to post and "complain" about how they like it?

As others seem to access their info fine, could the issue be at YOUR end?

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
I've never used Flickr and I'm concerned about privacy: can anyone tell me if one's photos are safe and not data mined (a la google) or tagged (a la Facebook)? When deleted, is it permanent? Sorry, but I've never been inclined to upload personal data, but the 1TB deal is tempting for backup etc.

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
What happens if you don't switch from Pro to free after August 20? Wouldn't you still be able to switch to free at any point, by not paying or by cancelling?

-=|Mgkwho

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
My account expired Monday (20th). I was considering signing up for another year of Pro, but the 1TB Free is more than enough for me, and the ads are a minor annoyance at best for a free product. Just my 2¢

extradryny

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
I love that Apple keeps upping the megapixels on their iPhone cameras, but then gives you a ridiculous 5gb in iCloud. What a joke.

Pales in comparison to the compression of shared photo streams. Why am I still using a 3rd party app to share full-resolution photos between two iPhones in 2013?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.