Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Code:
Mashemite:~ grahamperrin$ date ; sw_vers
Fri  8 Jul 2016 22:58:32 BST
ProductName:    Mac OS X
ProductVersion:    10.12
BuildVersion:    16A239j
Mashemite:~ grahamperrin$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_65"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_65-b14-468-11M4833)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.65-b04-468, mixed mode)
Mashemite:~ grahamperrin$ sudo cp -r /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin /Applications/OmniWeb.app/Contents/PlugIns
Password:
Mashemite:~ grahamperrin$

– that much works, but the Internet plug in is not recognised by Firefox or OmniWeb (and for OmniWeb, I tried plugging it into the application bundle as shown below).

Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 23.06.07.png

If you require outdated Java plugged into a browser, I recommend an outdated operating system (not necessarily Mac OS X) in a VirtualBoxVM.

Or maybe you could do something with Wine or CrossOver.

(A while ago – long before Sierra – I sought away to have just one browser for OS X use an outdated Java. No success.)

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 27, 2013
So it does install? There may be hope yet. For the record, I don't need it for a browser, but for an application (Pyware), where the older versions were built for MRJ and was never brought out of it.

I have several old versions of Pyware that require that specific Java plugin to work. The new Pyware is like FF and Chrome in that it just refuses to work under that one.

There may be hope yet.

Reactions: grahamperrin

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Yep, above there's 1.6.0_65.

For that version to be usable you must move or remove any superior versions from /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 27, 2013
Yep, above there's 1.6.0_65.

For that version to be usable you must move or remove any superior versions from /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/

The old applications rely on that particular Java (it makes an exact call for it and fails if it isn't there, regardless of other Javas installed). It won't launch with any other version. I guess when it comes I'll bite the bullet and see what happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: grahamperrin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.