Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gnomeo86

macrumors member
May 3, 2016
Amsterdam
The two iPhone SE I've had so far look exactly like those on your pictures :( I'm starting to wonder whether there is any point in getting another replacement, cause it seems like they are all yellow.

Has anyone seen a decent-looking SE outside an Apple Store?

Last edited:

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
If uniformity is good, there is nothing to worry about
I have also IPS screen monitor and it looks more yellow than blue
I have blue tint on my Z3 Compact and iPhone SE uniformity is better overall
Blue tint/cooler colors vs yellow tint/warmer colors but iPhone has better Delta E

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
I have also both and same as yours
SE has yellow tint while Xperia Z3 Compact more blue one
I think i like more SE color/uniformity, its more realistic!
You should compare to another SE phone to see if anything goes wrong with uniformity
Its inherent to screen panel technology, some panel looks more yellow than blue

I've had 4 exchanges and they all have very uneven uniformity. the Z3C is definitely much better.

this is how the latest exchange I got looks
AF7cPLc.jpg

I've been to all NYC Apple stores, and even their display units look terrible. out of all the 4 exchanges I've gotten, there was only 1 that was decent, but to my luck, it had a volume button issue instead. I wish I had just kept that one and had the buttons fixed. but at the time, it seemed really silly for me to already get a brand new phone fixed. Apple's quality has really gone down these past few years.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
It's pretty shocking when you think Apple have been using this screen for about 4 years now since the 5 came out and it seems to be getting worse. They have had plenty of years to get the supply route and quality control sorted out, these screen should be perfect by now not getting worse.

Reactions: 5105973

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
After selling the original SE I purchased, I took a chance and purchased another SE (via Swappa). This one is space gray in color and the screen is absolutely flawless. There are no signs of yellow screen like the first SE I purchase (gold if it matters). I'll definitely be keeping this model as everything works perfectly with it. As Z3man mentioned, you'd think Apple would have better quality control on the screen since the 4" screen has been out for 4 years now.

Ugi

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2016
After selling the original SE I purchased, I took a chance and purchased another SE (via Swappa). This one is space gray in color and the screen is absolutely flawless. There are no signs of yellow screen like the first SE I purchase (gold if it matters). I'll definitely be keeping this model as everything works perfectly with it. As Z3man mentioned, you'd think Apple would have better quality control on the screen since the 4" screen has been out for 4 years now.
Can't wait to get my ordered se. It'll be delivered between the 13. And 20. Of May. I hope with a flawless display.i often catch me actually considering to rebuy the 6s/+ because I can't wait anymore. Then I think I don't need a bigger screen, and Savin around 200€ And also having apple care+ Is something what makes the waiting worth.

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
It's pretty shocking when you think Apple have been using this screen for about 4 years now since the 5 came out and it seems to be getting worse. They have had plenty of years to get the supply route and quality control sorted out, these screen should be perfect by now not getting worse.

i'm assuming they are using lesser quality displays this time around, which reflect the cheaper price. it's shocking to see how many bad SE displays there are out there. even in store, it's easy to spot them, and have the sales guys see as well, since they have the SE's right next to the 6s (which mostly don't have this display issue). i've been considering just getting the 6s along with a mophie case, since the better battery life is one of the main reasons i wanted to stick with the SE. but man.. Apple really dropped the ball on this one. terrible displays.

Predtek

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2015
NEW iPhone SE Screen is Yellowish!!!

My old iPhone 5S have severe screen yellowing issue, so I bought a new iPhone SE. I was shocked to see the screen yellowing on the new phone right out of the box!

The iPhone 6S Plus is my main phone which i think is alright.
I also borrowed another iPhone 5S which I believe has yellowish edges.

Has this issue became like a warranty lottery game thing? I am not a very picky person. My iPad Pro screen is perfect! These phones are just not acceptable IMO. (My mom's iPhone 6 has a yellow screen replaced under warranty but still yellow after the "fix")

iPhone Yellowing Issue.jpg

iPhone Yellowing Issue Areas.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: YaBoiD and 5105973

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
These photos look photoshopped, what is all that purple on the top photo 2nd iPhone on the left 5s 2014 there is a blob of purple in the middle of the screen.

You are also a new member.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
Weird how many people apparently stare at blank white/yellowish screens all day and are troubled by them. My SE is definitely slightly more yellow at the top than the bottom, but I guess I must be far too busy making and receiving calls, texts, and emails, or taking pictures and videos, or listening to music, or checking my calendar, or playing a quick game to care about such things.

Reactions: 5105973 and MrGuder

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I'm sure its already been mentioned, but the yellow hue on these displays is likely due to the adhesive used

I recently purchased an iPhone 5 and an iPhone SE, both where factory sealed and brand new in the box. Both phones had the yellow hue initially, and I think it just takes time for it to disappear.

Took me about a week and a half each of using both phones for the screens to lose the yellow hues. Now if it still persists, that is another issue - neither my 5 nor my SE have persisted in the yellowish hue.

Reactions: MrGuder

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
Weird how many people apparently stare at blank white/yellowish screens all day and are troubled by them. My SE is definitely slightly more yellow at the top than the bottom, but I guess I must be far too busy making and receiving calls, texts, and emails, or taking pictures and videos, or listening to music, or checking my calendar, or playing a quick game to care about such things.

Weird how many people apparently don't want low quality displays when they have paid $400-$500+ of their hard earned money.

Weird how many people aren't willing to just accept Apple's poor QA.

Weird how many people expect a display that at least equals to cheaper phones that have better displays.

Weird that other people might perceive shades of color differently than you, thus making this issue considerable to them.

Weird that people have different standards than you.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
Weird how many people apparently don't want low quality displays when they have paid $400-$500+ of their hard earned money.

Weird how many people expect a display that at least equals to cheaper phones that have better displays.

Weird that other people might perceive shades of color differently than you, thus making this issue considerable to them.

No one is forcing the above highly-discerning people to buy an SE. If they think the screen is low-quality, get another phone. If they think Apple has bad QC, go Android. No one is stopping anyone from getting a cheaper phone with a better display. But for all those people above who are not trying to proof photos or do graphic layouts on their 4" cell phones, I would suggest moving on with their lives as soon as humanly possible by getting some cognitive behavioral therapy so they learn to be happy with consumer electronic devices that work exactly as intended and do miraculous things unimagined 20 years ago:

http://gizmodo.com/5658560/louis-ck-the-*********-cell-phone-in-the-world-is-a-miracle

Predtek

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2015
These photos look photoshopped, what is all that purple on the top photo 2nd iPhone on the left 5s 2014 there is a blob of purple in the middle of the screen.

You are also a new member.

The photos are of cos photo shopped otherwise there won't be any text on them. The colors, contrast, brightness remain untouched.

Yes I am a new member of this forum. Thanks for your warm welcome.

The second phone's display yellowing was NOT that severe before. The phone was untouched for months after I upgraded to iPhone 6 Plus. I recently picked it up again and the screen was like that. White in middle and yellowish all around. This was NOT photoshopped. No water/overheating damages as well.

I do not stare at the phone with the white wallpaper on. But the issue is not acceptable to me especially for the mint iPhone SE right out of the box. I can see the status bar and top parts in yellow in most of the screens.

Not really trying to complain. I simply returned the phone and they will mail me a replacement. If it's still like that then I will get a refund.
[doublepost=1463564833][/doublepost]

I agree with you.

I love my iDevices but I also have a certain level of standard and I share my points of views. Really nothing to argue in here. Relax!

Last edited:

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
this isn't going away, I made a thread that got pretty big back in 2010 and was slammed on here by the apple fanboys.

6 years later...nothing changed.

Thank you jailbreakers for making a tweak where the user can change the screen temp to however you want!!!!

Reactions: radiohead14

robes1

macrumors member
May 20, 2016
Thinking about getting a SE, but don't want this yellow screen.

Is it like a coin toss whether or not the screen might be yellow? Should I inspect the new phone in the shop before buying it?

Last edited:

Predtek

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2015
Thinking about getting a SE, but don't this yellow screen.

Is it like a coin toss whether or not the screen might be yellow? Should I inspect the new phone in the shop before buying it?

I definitely would inspect it at the store upon purchase. Do ask the staff what if the screen is obviously yellowish BEFORE paying/opening. You can even show them pictures of yellow iPhone SE. If they say you cannot open another one if that happens, I would not buy it. I ordered mine through a carrier and they are getting me a replacement. I will post new pictures.

Nothing to hate/defend here. Acceptance level is very person.

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc

having gone through multiple exchanges, i would say there's a high chance you get a yellowy screen. they vary in levels, but it's likely you'll at least get the top of the panel showing it.

robes1

macrumors member
May 20, 2016
having gone through multiple exchanges, i would say there's a high chance you get a yellowy screen. they vary in levels, but it's likely you'll at least get the top of the panel showing it.

Ugh, such a bummer. I'll still go and try it out in the store, but I was really excited about the SE and it's features. So hearing about this yellow screen and possible rattling issues, turns me off.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012

Since your a newbie you should wait till SE2 is released.
[doublepost=1464004279][/doublepost]
Ugh, such a bummer. I'll still go and try it out in the store, but I was really excited about the SE and it's features. So hearing about this yellow screen and possible rattling issues, turns me off.
Again you should wait and post back when SE2 is released.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
Yellowish isnt about uniformity?
I have some basic knowledge about computer screen monitor
Well some bad IPS have yellowish tint around corner due to the manufacturer panel.
The only assumption i ve would make: Apple obviously use old manufacturer panel which isnt the greatest among the top

Phoenixx

Suspended
Jul 3, 2015
Unfortunately, hardware problems like this with Apple products no longer surprise me. Apple just isn't the company it once was. They used to produce such wonderful products and software, but that company is long gone. It's sad to see what they have become.

With my iPhone getting to the point where it is due to be upgraded later in this year, I was actually considering the SE. Now I think I will just go with an Android phone instead.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Unfortunately, hardware problems like this with Apple products no longer surprise me. Apple just isn't the company it once was. They used to produce such wonderful products and software, but that company is long gone. It's sad to see what they have become.

With my iPhone getting to the point where it is due to be upgraded later in this year, I was actually considering the SE. Now I think I will just go with an Android phone instead.

It's ok to like Android and decide to jump over to Android we say that as if it's a bad thing. Both platforms have their good and bad. Today's Apple is mostly concerned with how much money they can make and keep stockholders happy but that is with all companies. But I agree to an extent, Apple is having a hard time with the iPhone lately with 6/6s sales being lackluster, their falling behind in not changing the design of the phone (wasted space top and bottom) with same earpiece and home button. They need a new design but that won't happen till 2018. I'm happy they are releasing updates quicker but I've learned never to update right away until you hear how other users are doing. I'll let others test the bugs then I will precede when coast is clear. In reality there is no need to rush into downloading an update.

Predtek

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2015
It's ok to like Android and decide to jump over to Android we say that as if it's a bad thing. Both platforms have their good and bad. Today's Apple is mostly concerned with how much money they can make and keep stockholders happy but that is with all companies. But I agree to an extent, Apple is having a hard time with the iPhone lately with 6/6s sales being lackluster, their falling behind in not changing the design of the phone (wasted space top and bottom) with same earpiece and home button. They need a new design but that won't happen till 2018. I'm happy they are releasing updates quicker but I've learned never to update right away until you hear how other users are doing. I'll let others test the bugs then I will precede when coast is clear. In reality there is no need to rush into downloading an update.

Don't want to start another Android versus Apple topic. Competition is always GOOD. Say you can only have one wife but you can have two phones. So there's really nothing to hate.

The reason why I returned that yellow SE. The yellowing issue is too obvious. Even my GoPro Silver LCD does not have that issue. And I will be looking at SE screen much more often than a GoPro.

Apple can do better. My iPad Pro 12" has a perfect screen *touch wood*. My iPhone 6S Plus is ok too. But not my dad's iPhone 6. It is showing yellow too. Apple replaced the screen for him but it still is yellow. May be not as severe as the SE.

Any screen experts here? It's science & manufacturing afterall.

Still waiting for a replacement... I will post back.

b777ba

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2016
I bought my first SE 27th april and received 20th may from China. Detected yellow tint, I called Apple and sent me yesterday a new one from Netherland that arrive home today. It looks as bad as first, even darker on the top. I dont know to call Apple and get a replacement or a refound.

My 5S look amazing, all screen white (left), but reading something in SE its horrible, looks like the screen has been used in the past...
Yshb0qwl.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.