Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
C

CompUser

Ed H said:
Hummer Discontinued the H1 too, nix that off the list.

Ed

Well it doesn't really matter, no one bought the H1 and still probably got 10mpg.

USA Today:
f the Passat diesel sounds good, it's important to know that VW plans to discontinue it next year after little more than a year on the U.S. market. A new-design Passat is due August 2005, and the U.S. version won't have a diesel.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
CompUser said:
Apparently VW has discontinued the Passat TDI.
They're out there, just not in the US, they had a few stories about bringing over a Diesel Touareg for a while, but then I haven't heard anything about that for a while.

B

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
All I am going to say is with your price range, do not go with an American made car. You will be spending much more on it than $4,000. Unless of course you get lucky like we did and had a Plymouth (Chrysler) Voyager (Mini-Van) for 11 years and put over 130,000 miles on it, with no major problems.

Also maybe not be so picky. ;)

true777

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2000
California, Austria, Arkansas
I'm amazed that nobody has mentioneed the 1993-1998 Geo Tracker/Suzuki Sidekick. I drove the short 2-door one in San Francisco from 1996-2001, and it was a perfect car for the city!

It is affordable, looks cute for a woman driver, has a TON of interior space when you fold the backseats down, is short for easy parking in SF, comfortable, and gets reasonable gas mileage. And those Sidekicks/Trackers are pretty reliable!

You should easily find one in your price range, and it's a really fun car -- especially if you can find one with a hardtop. Or buy the longer 4-door one if you're into larger cars.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
CompUser said:
I wish america would have more diesel cars but then we would probably be blamed for polluting the air even more since diesel gives off more emissions.

Not more, just different. They give off some 60% less (IIRC) carbon emissions than a gasoline-burning motor, and so little carbon monoxide that you can't kill yourself by leaving it running in the garage.

They do put out more particulate emissions and nitrous oxides, which contribute to localised smog. This will be ameliorated when the US switches to ultra low sulphur diesel (ULSD) at 50ppm instead of the 500ppm we have now. Dirty fuel = dirty exhaust. It's why diesels aren't smog tested; it varies wildly from tank to tank.

There are only a few diesel cars available (aside from pickups and tractor trailers)
- Hummer H1
- Mercedes E320 CDI
- VW Jetta TDI
- VW Golf TDI
- VW New Beetle TDI
- Jeep Liberty TDI

Apparently VW has discontinued the Passat TDI.

It'll be back. VW is in a transitionary period with their diesel technology, switching from the Pumpe Düse to common rail for their injection. There will be stopgap models, but they should be back with a larger compliment of CR vehicles in 2008 that will meet the Tier 2 regulations.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
CompUser said:
Well it doesn't really matter, no one bought the H1 and still probably got 10mpg.

Somewhere around 19mpg if memory serves me correctly. It was a turbodiesel, afterall. Funny that the H2 and H3, smaller cars with no serious offroad capability, get worse mileage.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
pseudobrit said:
Somewhere around 19mpg if memory serves me correctly. It was a turbodiesel, afterall. Funny that the H2 and H3, smaller cars with no serious offroad capability, get worse mileage.
12mpg according to the reviews for the 2006 model, which is described as "significantly" improved over previous model years.

Black&Tan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2004
How about a Saab? I saw a decent convertible, mid 90's, on a used car lot for $6495. If the convertible is that much, the hardtop should be a bit less. Saabs have excellent safety records and they're sporty to boot! The 900 series has been used extensively for rally racing...

crdean1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2005
Texas
To the OP...

Seriously consider an older Honda Civic. I have only driven Hondas and Acuras, they are low maintenance and last forever.

Other than that, you could pick up a nice Vespa for $4000. Perfect for San Fran.

Edit: found this on AutoTrader.com...check it out and enter your search criteria, they usually have good cars from private sellers and dealerships.

AutoTrader.com

Link to 1995 Honda Accord w/ 103,000 miles for less than $4,000. Excellent Car.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...1981&isp=y&pager.offset=25&lang=en&cardist=31

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
matticus008 said:
12mpg according to the reviews for the 2006 model, which is described as "significantly" improved over previous model years.

http://www.dieselforum.org/where-is-diesel/cars-trucks-suvs/4columntest/

13/17 they say. Most other places are citing around 15 average, with some lower. H2 is somewhere around 8/10. I recall 19 highway from its early days. Since both are large enough to be exempt from standardised government testing, we'll never quite know an accurate figure.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
pseudobrit said:
http://www.dieselforum.org/where-is-diesel/cars-trucks-suvs/4columntest/

13/17 they say. Most other places are citing around 15 average, with some lower. H2 is somewhere around 8/10. I recall 19 highway from its early days. Since both are large enough to be exempt from standardised government testing, we'll never quite know an accurate figure.
Well, GM publishes an expected range (570 miles) and the fuel capacity (51.5 gallons [can't like to hummer.com because it's a Flash site]) is known, so that 13/17 Intellichoice figure with no source or methodology is dubious at best. Even giving it an even 600 miles and assuming you won't run the tanks dry (stop at, say, 50 gallons), that's a perfect 12mpg.

It's really neither here nor there, though. It's disgustingly wasteful for any vehicle to achieve less than 20mpg in highway driving. I'm disappointed that there are any on the road under 25mpg highway, but change is a slow beast.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
matticus008 said:
It's really neither here nor there, though. It's disgustingly wasteful for any vehicle to achieve less than 20mpg in highway driving.

Unless of course they can do what a Hummer (H1 anyway) can do offroad. In which case you may as well be as disappointed with the highway mileage of a combine.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
pseudobrit said:
Unless of course they can do what a Hummer (H1 anyway) can do offroad. In which case you may as well be as disappointed with the highway mileage of a combine.
It's true :). I do find their mileage rather disappointing--and their acceleration for that matter. But according to the state fair, they seem to come with air conditioning now and they offer a commanding view of the road. Maybe with the right accessories, you can just chew through traffic. I think the world is ready for a whole new type of SUV. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.