Yet another windows media problem thread

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rebelins, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Rebelins macrumors newbie

So, I am a long to windows user, and I just got an iMac, and am thinking about getting a macbook. Today I tried to listend to ministry of sounds online radio (http://www.ministryofsound.com/radio) and it said that it required the windows media player plugin to work. So, I downloaded flip4mac, and it still doesn't work. Except now when I go to the website instead of getting the missing plugin icon, there is just an empty white box where the media player should be.

-Wes

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Did you download the most recent version of flip4mac (v2.1), that is Universal?

Also, what browser are you using to view the website?

3. Rebelins thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe it was the most recent version, it was linked off of microsoft's home page. I tried using safari, firefox, and netscape, and the same thing happened in all of them. I also tried enabling rosetta (even though I don't know what that means or does).

-Wes

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

In Safari, go to preferences->security, and ensure that 'use plugins' is selected. Does this help?

5. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Can't you just download WMP for mac (Note: Not flip4mac)? I don't know about for intels, but you definitely can for PPC...

6. Rebelins thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked and yes, plugins are enabled.

I'm not sure if you can or not, when I went to microsoft's site, they listed the last release of media player for mac being 9, and I believe PCs are on 11, so I just assumed that it either wouldn't work or would be outdated. They recommended to download flip4mac instead.

-Wes

7. eji macrumors 6502

eji

I find that Flip4Mac is more hassle than it's worth. All the Windows Media-using sites like Comedy Central work fine with the old version of Windows Media Player. 9, I think it is. You just have to find and use the WM installer, not simply drop the application into your Apps folder.

So download it here, install, and then try the Ministry of Sound streaming radio. It works fine for me.

8. Rebelins thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, I installed windows media player, then I had to un-install flip4mac, and now it works. Thanks for the help!

-Wes

9. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Basically, WM9 is fine for streaming, but a lot of download media becomes choppy in it, so flip is a good alternative to that.