Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rebelins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
So, I am a long to windows user, and I just got an iMac, and am thinking about getting a macbook. Today I tried to listend to ministry of sounds online radio (http://www.ministryofsound.com/radio) and it said that it required the windows media player plugin to work. So, I downloaded flip4mac, and it still doesn't work. Except now when I go to the website instead of getting the missing plugin icon, there is just an empty white box where the media player should be.

-Wes

Rebelins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
I believe it was the most recent version, it was linked off of microsoft's home page. I tried using safari, firefox, and netscape, and the same thing happened in all of them. I also tried enabling rosetta (even though I don't know what that means or does).

-Wes

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Can't you just download WMP for mac (Note: Not flip4mac)? I don't know about for intels, but you definitely can for PPC...

Rebelins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
In Safari, go to preferences->security, and ensure that 'use plugins' is selected. Does this help?

I checked and yes, plugins are enabled.

Can't you just download WMP for mac (Note: Not flip4mac)? I don't know about for intels, but you definitely can for PPC...

I'm not sure if you can or not, when I went to microsoft's site, they listed the last release of media player for mac being 9, and I believe PCs are on 11, so I just assumed that it either wouldn't work or would be outdated. They recommended to download flip4mac instead.

-Wes

eji

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
INW
I find that Flip4Mac is more hassle than it's worth. All the Windows Media-using sites like Comedy Central work fine with the old version of Windows Media Player. 9, I think it is. You just have to find and use the WM installer, not simply drop the application into your Apps folder.

So download it here, install, and then try the Ministry of Sound streaming radio. It works fine for me.

Rebelins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
Alright, I installed windows media player, then I had to un-install flip4mac, and now it works. Thanks for the help!

-Wes

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
eji said:
I find that Flip4Mac is more hassle than it's worth. All the Windows Media-using sites like Comedy Central work fine with the old version of Windows Media Player. 9, I think it is. You just have to find and use the WM installer, not simply drop the application into your Apps folder.

So download it here, install, and then try the Ministry of Sound streaming radio. It works fine for me.

Basically, WM9 is fine for streaming, but a lot of download media becomes choppy in it, so flip is a good alternative to that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.