Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CDN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Hi everyone -

About 2 weeks ago I received a maxed-out MacBook Pro. I'd been a PC-user for my entire computing life and was psyched to make the switch to Apple. My experience with this machine has so far been excellent, and I have no regrets whatsoever in making said switch.

However, it's also apparent that Apple will most likely upgrade the MBP to the new Merom processors very soon (yes, I was impatient with my purchase . . . and naive about the upgrade cycles). Aside from occasional games, the most intensive processes I will run on my machine are individual-based simulations and math applications (such as MatLab, and Mathematica). I do not do any substantial amounts of video editing.

My questions for you are:

1) Do you think the new chip will make any difference for me, given the primary uses I have in mind (above). I know it's hard to tell for sure, given that the Core 2 Duo is not really yet available for public testing, but I'm asking for your best guesses.

2) How could I make a swap, given that nothing's wrong with my current machine. It is within the 14-day return policy limit (for another 3 days), but was upgraded at purchase, which Apple notes as voiding the normal return policy. Can I get around this? If not, where might be the best venue in which to sell my computer, which is in mint condition, in order to obtain a new one with the processor upgrade?

Many thanks,
CDN

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Matlab eh? Scientific applications.. any chance that these will go all 64 bits in the future?

I think the current machine will suit you just fine for a while though, it is a very good computer.

CDN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
My guess is that science apps (MatLab, at least) will not go exclusively 64-bit anytime in the near or moderate future. But I'm not exactly in the know about these things . . .

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
Your computer should last you many happy years.

If it's reliable for you, don't let it go. Merom is about a 20% bump in speed. So what? There will always be something faster. It's like marriage. Once you've committed, there's no point in constantly looking at what's coming down the pipeline. There will always be a new batch of hotties graduating from university every year. Doesn't mean they're as good for you as the one you already have. Though I'm sure they'll be more attractive to you... at least for the next 30 years or so... then it seems like men just give up on beautiful young women... they're either very much in love with their wives... divorced and bitter... or given up on ever regaining their freedom from their ball & chain...

wait.

sorry.

off topic.

I digress.

apologize.

Yeah, keep your MBP. Take care of it, and it'll take care of you. Reliability is the most important quality in your car, computer, fire extinguisher, gun, friends, significant other, and pet. Family would be nice too.

;)

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
^ Fantastic Reply :p

Regarding the topic, I'm quite interested to know about this too because I *really* want to order a MBP right now, but I'm aware they could be updated to the Merom processors....

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
generik said:
Matlab eh? Scientific applications.. any chance that these will go all 64 bits in the future?
1. Not really
2. My roommate had a wonderful time getting MatLab to work on his Athlon 64

CDN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Many thanks for the your responses . . .

I hear you regarding the maintenance of a marriage (I like the metaphor) . . . and the rational part of my mind agrees entirely. This computer has served me very well thus far. The neurotic part of my mind, however, keeps telling me that I'm a jacka$$ for being one of the guys that helped Apple sell down their old stock of MBP's before the big upgrade.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
CDN said:
Many thanks for the your responses . . .

I hear you regarding the maintenance of a marriage (I like the metaphor) . . . and the rational part of my mind agrees entirely. This computer has served me very well thus far. The neurotic part of my mind, however, keeps telling me that I'm a jacka$$ for being one of the guys that helped Apple sell down their old stock of MBP's before the big upgrade.
Sir, I've been waiting for next Tuesday since early June. The MBP is a great machine and it'll last you a few years. Intel just seems to be pushing a lot of chips this year.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
You won't be within a 14 day period by the time they are released (which would have to be this Sunday). I doubt we'll see them August 7th either, Apple usually saves bumps for 2-3 weeks after those big events.

Moe

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
If you go through the trouble of getting a machine with a first-generation, Napa Merom now, you'll wonder if you should've waited until the even faster 2nd generation Santa Rosa Merom, with 800MHz FSB, comes out in the first half of next calendar year. And if you wait until then, there will be something new and better on the horizon.

This merry-go-round never stops. You've jumped on, now enjoy the ride.

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
Moe said:
If you go through the trouble of getting a machine with a first-generation, Napa Merom now, you'll wonder if you should've waited until the even faster 2nd generation Santa Rosa Merom, with 800MHz FSB, comes out in the first half of next calendar year. And if you wait until then, there will be something new and better on the horizon.

This merry-go-round never stops. You've jumped on, now enjoy the ride.

I wonder the incidence of obsessive-compulsive disorder diagnoses that have emerged since users jump on the mystique-ridden Mac bandwagon? We should sue apple for contributing to a modern, psycho-illness ...

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
djkny said:
I wonder the incidence of obsessive-compulsive disorder diagnoses that have emerged since users jump on the mystique-ridden Mac bandwagon? We should sue apple for contributing to a modern, psycho-illness ...

Since when is that unique to Mac?

Brandon Chapman

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2006
seany916 said:
If it's reliable for you, don't let it go. Merom is about a 20% bump in speed. So what? There will always be something faster. It's like marriage. Once you've committed, there's no point in constantly looking at what's coming down the pipeline. There will always be a new batch of hotties graduating from university every year. Doesn't mean they're as good for you as the one you already have. Though I'm sure they'll be more attractive to you... at least for the next 30 years or so... then it seems like men just give up on beautiful young women... they're either very much in love with their wives... divorced and bitter... or given up on ever regaining their freedom from their ball & chain...

wait.

sorry.

off topic.

I digress.

apologize.

Yeah, keep your MBP. Take care of it, and it'll take care of you. Reliability is the most important quality in your car, computer, fire extinguisher, gun, friends, significant other, and pet. Family would be nice too.

;)

That is such a smart way to look at it. You are a smart guy.

Super Macho Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
Hollywood, CA
The MBP is a great computer. The new MBPs will be even better computers. If it were me I would get rid of that MBP ASAP. An upgrade is imminent and there is no reason to stick with a slower computer when you could get the 20% faster one for nearly the same price. OS X is a gargantuan memory hog, and you may be hurting from the 32-bit RAM limit in coming years. 5 years ago, 256MB was plenty... in another 5 years, 2GB will be what 256 was then.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Super Macho Man said:
The MBP is a great computer. The new MBPs will be even better computers. If it were me I would get rid of that MBP ASAP. An upgrade is imminent and there is no reason to stick with a slower computer when you could get the 20% faster one for nearly the same price. OS X is a gargantuan memory hog, and you may be hurting from the 32-bit RAM limit in coming years. 5 years ago, 256MB was plenty... in another 5 years, 2GB will be what 256 was then.

It makes sense to wait. But once you eat the 10% restocking fee, you're not getting the 20% for the same price. Whether that speed boost is worth the extra cash plus being without a computer for who knows how long is the real decision.

The ram limit imposed by 32 bit is actually 4 gigs, not 2, the 2 comes from the number of slots. These machines can probably use 2 gig chips when they become affordable, going higher than that is a moot point since there are no additional slots anyway.

CDN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
milo said:
It makes sense to wait. But once you eat the 10% restocking fee, you're not getting the 20% for the same price. Whether that speed boost is worth the extra cash plus being without a computer for who knows how long is the real decision.

The ram limit imposed by 32 bit is actually 4 gigs, not 2, the 2 comes from the number of slots. These machines can probably use 2 gig chips when they become affordable, going higher than that is a moot point since there are no additional slots anyway.

RAM capacty doesn't seem to be an issue for me at the moment. Running several intensive video applications simulatenously, along with background apps (Mail, Safaria, IM Service, etc.) and microsoft office on rosetta, produces no noticable slow-downs. As I said originally, my work entails running a few kinds of simulation and mathematics software, but other than that I'm doing run-of-the-mill tasks. From the feedback provided so far, I'm inclined to just stick with what I've got, even though I'll kick myself now and then for not having found a way to delay my purchase for a couple of months. It seems that buyer's remorse is inevitable when you're chewing on Apples.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
A little buyer's remorse is normal, but now that you've purchased its not really worth it to reverse your decision, too much hassle, fees, uncertainty, etc. You got a great computer, but not at the most optimal time - that's perfectly normal, only a small minority of people do time the market perfectly, and most of those people are more lucky than smart. Don't have any regrets, enjoy your computer, and in a few years you'll buy another laptop that makes the upcoming Merom MacBook pro look like a Tandy Model 100.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
djkny said:

Steve Jobs and Jonathon Ives have it for sure... as do I...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.