Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
Constantly asks me to verify/re-input my gmail passwords to all of my accounts. I even deleted and re-entered them and still the same issues. Not sure if this is a Mail issue or a Gmail thing to try and mess with Apple. Either way, I only want to use one email client for all of my mail. Should I just get Airmail?

----------

Everyone's mail problems would be completely solved if CloudMagic developed a Mac application.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Constantly asks me to verify/re-input my gmail passwords to all of my accounts. I even deleted and re-entered them and still the same issues.
Are you using Google 2-factor authentication + an application password specifically for Mail.app on your Mac?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Constantly asks me to verify/re-input my gmail passwords to all of my accounts. I even deleted and re-entered them and still the same issues. Not sure if this is a Mail issue or a Gmail thing to try and mess with Apple. Either way, I only want to use one email client for all of my mail. Should I just get Airmail?

I see this every day with my email addresses (3 separate email addresses/accounts) with Cox.net. Frustrating, but I reported it as a bug and worked with Apple engineers. Turns out it's an issue with Cox rejecting my login. Contacting Cox tech support is useless - their automation literally transfers the call into the Apple support line.

My solution is to migrate those accounts to a different email service. It's a massive circle jerk where everyone points their finger at someone else - a the guy paying the freight (you, me and other customers) get no solutions.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013

----------

Everyone's mail problems would be completely solved if CloudMagic developed a Mac application.

I used to have the same thing back with Mountain Lion and my Gmail account. In the end I took the huge plunge of changing across to an iCloud account and the problem was solved.

I know Gmail does not use standard email protocols e.g. marking mails so they exist in more than one folder. Whether the problem lies with Google or Apple's implementation I couldn't say.

Macbuyer7

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
I just got my rMBP, and everything is working beautifully....except Mail, which is a complete disaster. It kind of soured my first day with the machine to be honest, I've just given up and am going to check my email through Safari.

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2010
For as much as I enjoy Yosemite, I have had a lot of problems with Mail. Most times the app crashes when it tries to load the messages. Sometimes the messages simply disappear and the app hangs until I have to force quit. Never had issues like this with Mail throughout OSX's lifespan until now.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I just got my rMBP, and everything is working beautifully....except Mail, which is a complete disaster. It kind of soured my first day with the machine to be honest, I've just given up and am going to check my email through Safari.

You're not alone with your dislike of Mail. It's completely useless. Form over function. Outlook 2011 is gash as well. I'd suggest using Thunderbird.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Mail works ok for me, I have multiple personal and corporate accounts. Was a PIA to set up had drill down through all the settings one by one to get it all working seamlessly. On brighter note setting up a new Mac all the setting came across from Apple without issue, it "just worked" as the say.

Q-6

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Never really had a problem with Mail either. I had some regular time-outs with my Yahoo account a few years ago, but I could pin these on Yahoo themselves (other clients had the problem too). It seems to me that most Mail issues I read about are related to Gmail. It wouldn’t surprise me if Google does that intentionally to push people towards the web client or the iOS app, where they collect more data. They have similar problems with CalDAV/CardDAV clients.

thunderbird
Isn’t Thunderbird out of active development since a few years? I always had connection problems with Thunderbird and I thought it was just too old-fashioned. I don’t like it on Linux either, which is part of the problem why I find the switch to Linux difficult (i.e. no decent desktop mail client).

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
tbird is mozilla... not pretty, not fancy, no 'rubber' scroll, etc... but gets the job done hassle-free

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Using Mailbox.

Why is Apple not able to implement Gmail push properly when other smaller outfits are able to do the same?

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I really tried to like Mail. After Sparrow was bought out by Google and not updated anymore I tried numerous email clients. Mail just didn't have the features I was looking for. And seemed a bit unstable. I rely on a lot of gmail accounts with a mix of imap accounts.

So far I am quite pleased with Postbox. I wanted to like Airmail, but it seemed to lack some polish compared to Sparrow. I was a little hesitant to try Postbox. I didn't know anything about them and was a bit leery about paying for a mail client, but so far I find it's the best option for my needs. And well worth the money. The new 4.0 version cleaned up the interface a lot and added more features while fixing some issues. I also like the fact that you can install it on different machines with the same serial number. Even cross platform on windows. It's nice to have one mail client across different platforms. Just wish they made an iOS version but I'm happy with outlook on my iphone.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Why is Apple not able to implement Gmail push properly when other smaller outfits are able to do the same?

Why do you assume that it is Apple's fault? Clearly, other IMAP providers have had no trouble using the IMAP IDLE function for this. Either Apple's configuration settings for Gmail are wrong, in which case you should be able to configure it manually, or Google hasn't implemented IDLE properly. Given that Google does not support IDLE on iOS, it would be a good guess that Google does the same on desktop. As I said above, Google profits more from the Gmail web client.

So far I am quite pleased with Postbox. I wanted to like Airmail, but it seemed to lack some polish compared to Sparrow. I was a little hesitant to try Postbox. I didn't know anything about them and was a bit leery about paying for a mail client, but so far I find it's the best option for my needs. And well worth the money. The new 4.0 version cleaned up the interface a lot and added more features while fixing some issues. I also like the fact that you can install it on different machines with the same serial number. Even cross platform on windows. It's nice to have one mail client across different platforms. Just wish they made an iOS version but I'm happy with outlook on my iphone.

They finally released version 4? I gave Postbox a shot several times, but it never worked properly. iCloud never worked, there was no Exchange support if I remember correctly. The developer of Postbox was so silent after the release of version 3 that I thought the product had died.

Reactions: aristobrat

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Why do you assume that it is Apple's fault? Clearly, other IMAP providers have had no trouble using the IMAP IDLE function for this. Either Apple's configuration settings for Gmail are wrong, in which case you should be able to configure it manually, or Google hasn't implemented IDLE properly. Given that Google does not support IDLE on iOS, it would be a good guess that Google does the same on desktop. As I said above, Google profits more from the Gmail web client.

They finally released version 4? I gave Postbox a shot several times, but it never worked properly. iCloud never worked, there was no Exchange support if I remember correctly. The developer of Postbox was so silent after the release of version 3 that I thought the product had died.

Yes, version 4 was released a week or so ago. icloud works fine for me on postbox, even on version 3. haven't tried exchange though. It's not a bad program, but I do miss the minimal design of Sparrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.