Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chaseme

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2010
Were you by chance using cDock at some point, possibly an older version?

I can tell you for a fact what's happening is your dock is repeatedly crashing.

Just upgraded from Mavericks to Yosemite today and my app switcher and dock are not showing up.

Have a good solution?

And yes, I was running cDock.

Fisu

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2014
Has something to do with Dashboard/Spaces. :confused:

This stopped the flashing Desktop and crashing Dock for me:
Open Preferences, go to Mission Control and set Dashboard to Off.

This has seemed to work for me, but only after restarting the Mac.

john2188

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2014
Topeka, KS
Yosemite: No dock and graphics flashing

I tried many of the above suggestions without results partly because it wouldn't hold default changes in System Preferences.

As a last resort, I followed a suggestion that I thought was a bit frivolous. I was desperately trying to get my 2009 MacBook ready for my Granddaughter's birthday. It goes like this - I had only one account, an Administrative Account in Yosemite. I added a Standard Account and voila the desktop picture was no longer flashing.

Now assuming that you have a lot of data in the Admin Acct you have been using, simply make a new Std Acct an Adm Acct and convert the original Adm Acct to a Std Acct.

How do you do that? System Preferences>Users & Groups>unlock the Padlock by clicking on it and providing your user name and password>click on Log In Options>select the user account you wish to change if you have more than one account>check or uncheck Allow User to Administer this Computer.
If you have only one account, click on the Lock and enter your user name and password>click on the + symbol in the lower left hand corner of the left pane>set up the new User Account with user name (probably should be different) and password (which can be the same) and check or uncheck whether you wish for the account user to be an administrator. And, if you are as fortunate as I was by selecting the standard user account (the admin. user account desktop is still was flashing), you won't have a flashing screen in the Standard Account. Installing software or making various changes in the Standard Account will require your Admin Acct. user name and password, but you don't have to Log Out and Log back In to the Admin Acct or Shut Down and Reboot.

A fringe benefit of running a Standard Account is that it is immune to a recently revealed vulnerability in Yosemite to hackers!

mexmanny101

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2015
Same issue

Hi All,

so i have the flashing screen and did the missions control and set it to off but that didnt work and i have done the other suggestions written here any other suggestions?

Fabubhai

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2017
Same for me...

Has something to do with Dashboard/Spaces. :confused:

This stopped the flashing Desktop and crashing Dock for me:
Open Preferences, go to Mission Control and set Dashboard to Off.

Don't know whether you will ever read this but: THAAAANKS! This did the job for me and saved me days of work!
Still, can anyone figure out what happened?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.