Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
There seems to be a bug in Yosemite Recovery Update 1.0 which no longer allows the recovery hd to boot from the startup manager available when booting up by holding down the option key. Command R and Command Option R may still work though.

If this is affecting you, here is a workaround to get your old recovery hd back. I would recommend not installing the Yosemite Recovery Update again until apple fixes it.

1. Download the Lion Recovery Update from http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1464 . (And before you ask, YES. I mean LION recovery update!) Make sure it is in your downloads folder. If you still happen to have the yosemite DP1 installer somewhere, right click on the Install OS X 10.10 Developer Preview.app file and click Show Package Contents. Go to Contents/SharedSupport/. Copy the InstallESD.dmg file into your Downloads folder. If you don't still have the DP1 installer, you can get it again by redownloading from your purchases tab in your mac app store.

2. Download and decompress the file recovery.sh.zip from http://4unitmaths.com/recovery.sh.zip and move recovery.sh into your Downloads folder if it's not there already.

3. Open Terminal and type the following commands:

chmod +x ~/Downloads/recovery.sh
sudo ~/Downloads/recovery.sh

4. Wait a few minutes for it to finish and return back to a prompt. Reboot with holding down the option key to test your 10.10 recovery partition.

Last edited:

swish79

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2014
Does anyone else have this issue? I can no longer boot into my recovery partition. The icon appears when I hold down the option key at boot up, but selecting it boots into the full OS X (sound is disabled though).

I hope this is fixed in the next update.

delta77thegreat

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2014
If anything I hope this is fixed before Public beta rolls out, I would think there are a LOT of users who are going to accidentally install Yosemite on their main systems in their haste and live to regret it.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
In this case yosemite itself isn't the problem. The DP4 update and the yosemite recovery update 1.0 are separate updates (as is also the itunes 12 beta).

foozipper

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2013
Does anyone else have this issue? I can no longer boot into my recovery partition. The icon appears when I hold down the option key at boot up, but selecting it boots into the full OS X (sound is disabled though).

I hope this is fixed in the next update.

Same Here.
I check "$diskutil list" command below
0: GUID_partition_scheme *256 GB disk0
1: EFI
2: Apple_CoreStorage
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD
4: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 2
5: Apple_Boot Macintosh HD 2 <- I Guess this is "Recovery 10-10"

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
You may actually have 2 issues there.

1. Firstly, the yosemite installer may have created core storage logical volume groups. The fix for this is quite simple. You can run this in terminal to get your partitions back to normal.

diskutil cs list

and then

diskutil coreStorage revert lvUUID

where lvUUID is the last lvUUID reported by the previous Terminal command.

You may have to restart for everything to get back to normal after you have run these commands in Terminal.

2. Assuming you have fixed the core storage issue if you then installed the yosemite recovery update, the second issue is that the startup manager may not show the yosemite recovery partition properly any more.

Here are before and after photos of my startup manager illustrating the problem caused on one of my computers by the yosemite recovery update.

The first one is as it should be before installing the update.

Macintosh HD is mountain lion and Macintosh HD 2 is yosemite and the two recovery partitions are also showing. All 4 boot up properly.

photo1.gif

Then after installing yosemite recovery update 1.0, the Recovery-10.10 partition has been renamed as Macintosh HD 2, i.e., the same name as my yosemite partition. Starting up from this just starts up yosemite, not the yosemite recovery partition. Recovery-10.10 is gone altogether from the startup manager.

photo2.gif

Using the workaround I posted above in the first post in this thread will restore it back to normal.

A bug report has been sent to apple for this second issue.

Last edited:

swish79

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2014
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *121.3 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 90.0 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
4: Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP 30.0 GB disk0s4
5: DA95BAA0-06E6-4C50-B17C-BFD81179D5CD 471.9 MB disk0s5

i'm not sure how partition 5 (disk0s5) was created...could be from the yosemite recovery update? it's unallocated space.

given all these issues, i might just erase the entire hdd and perform a clean install when the GM of yosemite is released.

if i wish to leave my bootcamp intact, can i simply delete all other partitions and perform a clean install?

thanks!

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
They final fixed yosemite recovery update!

I deliberately installed DP7 and yosemite recovery update 2 separately to determine if the problem still exists in yosemite recovery update 2. It isn't. After installing this the yosemite recovery partition shows up properly in the startup manager.

ninjamisto

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2015
ive made some modifications to your script, and it is now residing on:
https://github.com/leojrfs/osx-recovery-upgrade

There seems to be a bug in Yosemite Recovery Update 1.0 which no longer allows the recovery hd to boot from the startup manager available when booting up by holding down the option key. Command R and Command Option R may still work though.

If this is affecting you, here is a workaround to get your old recovery hd back. I would recommend not installing the Yosemite Recovery Update again until apple fixes it.

1. Download the Lion Recovery Update from http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1464 . (And before you ask, YES. I mean LION recovery update!) Make sure it is in your downloads folder. If you still happen to have the yosemite DP1 installer somewhere, right click on the Install OS X 10.10 Developer Preview.app file and click Show Package Contents. Go to Contents/SharedSupport/. Copy the InstallESD.dmg file into your Downloads folder. If you don't still have the DP1 installer, you can get it again by redownloading from your purchases tab in your mac app store.

2. Download and decompress the file recovery.sh.zip from http://4unitmaths.com/recovery.sh.zip and move recovery.sh into your Downloads folder if it's not there already.

4. Wait a few minutes for it to finish and return back to a prompt. Reboot with holding down the option key to test your 10.10 recovery partition.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC

Thanks TY, I just had to use this again after updating to 10.10.4. My recovery was stuck at 10.10.3 for some reason.

Do you remember the thread where someone posted a script that would invoke the full restore installer from the recovery partition as opposed to invoking an internet download? I'd like to do that but I can't locate that thread.

Thanks again for coming to the rescue.

Last edited:

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Yeah I did that too to update my recovery partition to a 10.10.4 version. (But see this thread for more modernised instructions: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/recovery-partition-wont-update.1897708/#post-21549086 )

I think a bootable usb is better though than having the full installer on the recovery partition.

But here is the link to make the full installer version of the recovery partition if you still want to do that. This is for mavericks so I don't know if it works for yosemite. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/edit-the-recovery-partition-without-breaking-it.1598564/

Last edited:

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I think a bootable usb is better though than having the full installer on the recovery partition.

But here is the link to make the full installer version of the recovery partition if you still want to do that. This is for mavericks so I don't know if it works for yosemite. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/edit-the-recovery-partition-without-breaking-it.1598564/

I don't disagree, but having it on the SSD is/or may be handier for some of the odd things I do when messing around. I want to see how fast it will do a full install (SSD to SSD) when deploying a new SSD. I have a feeling it will be much faster than a thumb drive. It's unnecessary, but I'm curious, so I play :)

EDIT:
Actually, now that I'm have read that guide (the one for putting the full OS in the recovery partition) I've changed my mind. It looks to be more trouble than it's worth.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.