Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingOfStuff

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2013
something i noticed

after messing around a bit i noticed something else. I use the accessibility zoom A LOT. if you look at the WindowServer in activity monitor you can see it uses very little cpu when not zoomed in. Now, if you have two monitors you may be able to replicate what i am seeing. zoom in on the screen and the WindowServer shoots up in cpu time for a short second as it should. move your mouse around and it shoots up again close to 70% cpu. if you have istat you can see the gpu fps hover in the 30s. now if you open a VM and enter fullscreen and redo the tests you will see a difference. the cpu doesnt shoot above 20% while zoomed in and moving the mouse. in iStat you will see the gpu fps go to 60 while moving the mouse instead of hovering around 30.

just thought i'd mention all this in here.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Interested to know reports from 2013/2014 rMBP 13/15 owners without discrete GPU that are on 10.10.2. I'm on Mavericks (downgraded last week) because of this annoying issue that hampers my workflow.

ijha

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2009
Interested to know reports from 2013/2014 rMBP 13/15 owners without discrete GPU that are on 10.10.2. I'm on Mavericks (downgraded last week) because of this annoying issue that hampers my workflow.

On my initial observation, at least my late 2013 rMBP reports around 12 hrs of the remaining time constantly. Used to be around 7-8 hrs on the 10.10.1. If the graphic lag and the short battery life are related, this means that the issue must be fixed I think?

peabo

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
As expected, after installing everything seemed much smoother, but that was only due to the fact that the computer just restarted. Already things are bogging down again and animations are dropping frames. I'm sure by tomorrow it'll be just as choppy as every prior version of Yosemite was.

The only thing they actually fixed was the transition between tabs on the About The Mac window.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I just noticed that on my late 2013 13" rMBP with 16 GB of RAM that Window Server is using 7.83 GB of Memory and 3.24 GB of Compressed Memory. If I restart that goes down to around 50 mb. And that's also when the computer speeds up again. I believe that Window Server is also related to screen sharing crashes I was having. Whenever I would share my rMBP's screen and then stop sharing, my rMBP would crash if I used any UI element--like as soon as I clicked on a window or something. Apple's response was to disable OpenCL for the Screen Sharing application.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
As expected, after installing everything seemed much smoother, but that was only due to the fact that the computer just restarted. Already things are bogging down again and animations are dropping frames. I'm sure by tomorrow it'll be just as choppy as every prior version of Yosemite was.

The only thing they actually fixed was the transition between tabs on the About The Mac window.

Thanks for clarifying, I'll stick with my reliable Mavericks install. I can't use an OS that can't handle being on for less than a week without needing a reboot due to lag or instability. And I'll only do so if there's a system update or I need Windows in bootcamp exclusively.

askabob91

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2008
10.10.2 doesn't fix any of the dual monitor issues, particular the menu bar redraw when switching displays. I'll stick with my Mavericks partition, thanks.

rMBP 15" max specs

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
10.10.2 seems make the UI much smoother, but I don't know if it's just because of the reboot, have to monitor it for few more days.

kwokaaron

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
London, UK
Anyone care to rerun the Xbench graphics and UI test? Interested in whether or not the benchmark app is really broken or if it has improved since 10.10.1.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Anyone care to rerun the Xbench graphics and UI test? Interested in whether or not the benchmark app is really broken or if it has improved since 10.10.1.

This one?

Screen Shot 2015-01-29 at 02.59.22.jpg

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
On my Late 2013 rMBP (integrated graphics) most of the graphics issues are gone now. 10.10.2 is better but still not as fast as Mavericks though.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thanks. Does the UI still slow down after leaving it on for a while?

Smooth in the last few days. When having 6 desktops with multiple Windows opened, mission control animation may reduced to about 90% smoothness (according to my eyes), but it won't affect other UI smoothness. Turn off transparency or increase contrast won't help, still 90%.

Apart from the strange window resize animation lag in the Appstore app, there is no unacceptable lag so far. And no indication that the smoothness is time related.

danielceleste

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
After a few days...

I've had 10.10.2 on my late 2013 rMBP since it came out (a few days now?). I was really skeptical at first, but I've noticed it really has improved the lag problem. Things aren't quite perfect, but at least I can comfortably use my computer without having the "Reduce transparency" setting enabled that makes everything ugly as hell.

The lag in "About This Mac" was clearly 100% software related because it's flawless now in 10.10.2. However, animations in apps like Settings when going into different modes still lags.

I also find that WindowServer actually behaves now. No more painfully sluggish computer after hooking up/using/unhooking with an external monitor.

Many animations, including swiping between spaces, showing the desktop via a finger spread, minimizing windows, entering launchpad, and using stacks in the dock are finally no longer a disgrace.

Oh, and for those who do prefer the look of the "Reduce transparency" effect, Apple finally got rid of the stupid black corners on the volume/brightness thing!

Of course I'm not 100% satisfied with this release (will we ever be?), but I'm surprised that Apple has not descended further with this one.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
10.10.2 doesn't fix any of the dual monitor issues, particular the menu bar redraw when switching displays. I'll stick with my Mavericks partition, thanks.

rMBP 15" max specs
The menu bar redraw would do my head in (though I now use my Mac in clamshell mode when connected to an external display) but it can be worked around by just disabling separate spaces for external displays. Or something like that.... it's an option in system preferences somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment.

jackdtz

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2014
I've had 10.10.2 on my late 2013 rMBP since it came out (a few days now?). I was really skeptical at first, but I've noticed it really has improved the lag problem. Things aren't quite perfect, but at least I can comfortably use my computer without having the "Reduce transparency" setting enabled that makes everything ugly as hell.

The lag in "About This Mac" was clearly 100% software related because it's flawless now in 10.10.2. However, animations in apps like Settings when going into different modes still lags.

I also find that WindowServer actually behaves now. No more painfully sluggish computer after hooking up/using/unhooking with an external monitor.

Many animations, including swiping between spaces, showing the desktop via a finger spread, minimizing windows, entering launchpad, and using stacks in the dock are finally no longer a disgrace.

Oh, and for those who do prefer the look of the "Reduce transparency" effect, Apple finally got rid of the stupid black corners on the volume/brightness thing!

Of course I'm not 100% satisfied with this release (will we ever be?), but I'm surprised that Apple has not descended further with this one.

while you are loading a page(like Facebook or whatever) and then switch to another desktop. does the ui lag exist?

For me, 10.10.2 makes the ui animation better but still lags a little bit.

askabob91

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2008
The menu bar redraw would do my head in (though I now use my Mac in clamshell mode when connected to an external display) but it can be worked around by just disabling separate spaces for external displays. Or something like that.... it's an option in system preferences somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment.

Unfortunately that fix disables an essential feature, which fixes one problem but creates another. Until it is fixed, properly, I will stick to Mavericks.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Unfortunately that fix disables an essential feature, which fixes one problem but creates another. Until it is fixed, properly, I will stick to Mavericks.

What essential feature is that, may I ask?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.