Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021
This is what you get marketing thinking some featured on apple seem like a good idea. This is so they can say they have it in the app and hopes apple will promote them some more.

I thought it was a joke when I saw it on car play while I was testing the app I worked on in the simulator. It is an example of a feature I will never use but I will give them some credit. They at least made it pretty easy to reorder previous orders from the car.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Well when they add Sushi Pizza to the menu I'm in! :p PS. I actually had Sushi Pizza in Minneapolis last week. The Japanese-Italian restaurant was fabulous!!! Take that Dominos!
IMG_0271.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: sorgo †

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
Too bad Dominos is garbage where I live - run by employees who really don’t care. We’ve found hair in our pizza twice, order are wrong, soggy, the list goes on.

• Sad
Reactions: compwiz1202

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Just wish there was standalone CarPlay so we wouldn’t need a current head unit for those of us with somewhat older vehicles.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
Many insurance providers now offer smartphone apps (e.g., Allstate Drivewise, Hartford TrueLane) that monitor driving so they can tailor premiums accordingly. One activity they monitor is phone use during driving. Does anyone know whether those apps consider activity facilitated by CarPlay and Android Auto to be phone use? I would think so because you're still using your phone, just on your vehicle's infotainment display rather than on the phone screen.

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
Big deal. You could do that from an Xbox 360 or a Wii 12 years ago.

Call me when we can order Dominoes from a Samsung Smart Fridge then we'll talk.
Hell if you want to go even further back in time, Everquest had an emote (/pizza) that would pop up a chat window and let you order Pizza Hut while playing.

It garnered enough notice that Blizzard/WoW mocked it with an emote of their own that when you /pizza'd it would say "You are hungry!" or "You are hungry. Perhaps (pc/npc name) has some food!"

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
I'll just be happy when I say "play Podcast" and CarPlay actually plays a f***king Podcast instead of launching random music at me.

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2022
It's more of a marketing and brand awareness stuff to me.

While the usefulness of CarPlay app for ordering the food may be questionable, Domino's logo will be one of the few icons you'll see in the CarPlay's menu now. Not McDonald's, but Domino's. And everytime you'll glance your view across their logo with empty stomach, there's some chance you'll end up ordering their pizza (be it via CarPlay or via other method).

tl;dr great marketing move!

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
I'm hoping WatchOS 10 will give us CarPlay from the watch (And just more watch independence in general.) I love the idea of just having my watch + airpods as my communication device, but I don't want to pick songs from a 1" screen on my wrist when I have a center console touchscreen capable of the same task.
I think driving the carplay display by wifi would drain the battery rather fast, alas.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Too bad Dominos is garbage where I live - run by employees who really don’t care. We’ve found hair in our pizza twice, order are wrong, soggy, the list goes on.
This is the issue with a few places by us. You can find one or two great locations, but the rest are terrible.

cbns

macrumors regular
May 21, 2021
absolutely ridiculous how arbitrary apple is on what they allow in carplay.
so it's OK to order pizza while driving but I'm not allowed to have a music video or YT running?

LET DEVS IMPLEMENT CARPLAY ON THEIR OWN!

goddamn anticompetitive monopolistic environment

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
CarPlay is an unnecessary feature.

The best interface is a powered MagSafe mount on the dash with a bluetooth connection to the headset. That way you don't need to use a horrible car interface and can use the iPhone directly.

Don't even need an in-dash screen for this.
After years of doing just what you say, I rented a car a few years ago that had CarPlay and it was pretty damn cool.

That said, my car doesn't have CarPlay and it's fine. The MagSafe mount is actually a massive massive improvement to the whole experience. Nothing worse than futzing with some damn clamp every time you get in or out of your car.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.