Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djplong

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2015
New Hampshire
THEY WANT $5/MO or $50/YEAR FOR THE "SERVICE".

These people want to charge the price of an ENTIRE Apple Arcade subscription for their ONE tracking game? HARD PASS!

I pay less for an annual Runkeeper+ subscription and I can make custom workouts, track my goals, get all kinds of reports on progress, save maps, identify trends and more.

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016

These people want to charge the price of an ENTIRE Apple Arcade subscription for their ONE tracking game? HARD PASS!

I pay less for an annual Runkeeper+ subscription and I can make custom workouts, track my goals, get all kinds of reports on progress, save maps, identify trends and more.
It is included with Apple Arcade. That's the price for Apple Arcade, they are just informing you that you need Arcade to use it.

This game as with all Apple Arcade games does not have in-app purchases. It is one of the great things about Arcade IMO.

Last edited:

Corsig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
So do you need to have your watch running it while walking? thinking it will kill my battery

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
When I walked home from school I used to pretend I was doing real life Oregon Trail or whatever edutainment games we had on the Macintoshes in the classroom.
Why the heck would I pay a subscription for something I can do for free in my head?

A far better game would be Humpback the game. It tracks your movement to squishing a camel into the eye of a needle.

HumpBack-Title.gif

bobone

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2015
If you already pay for Apple Music and iCloud consider it Apple Arcade and TV+ thrown in and get the basic Apple One. As a bonus, Apple will stop annoying you to subscribe to Apple One.
Apple TV+ and Music together are enough to get Apple One. Arcade and iCloud are just a bonus after that, especially if you have a family plan.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Siri: "Where you going, Bob?"

Bob: "I'm walking the Virtual Oregon Trail."

Siri: "You are heading Southeast, Bob. You're walking towards Texas."

Bob: "Um... what?!"

Siri: "Oregon is West-NorthWest from here. Here, I'll show you a compass. You have 426 miles left to walk."

Bob: "Well...umm.... well, I suppose...."

Siri: "And you forgot to list a Beneficiary, Bob."

Bob: "Beneficiary.... for what??"

Siri: "You have a 31% chance of dying from dysentery."

Piplodocus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
Is it just me that thinks this is terribly sad? Once getting away from everything man-made for a bit, getting back to the beauty of nature and the uninterrupted thoughts in your own head was great and didn't need excuses. Now even getting out into nature and the real world needs some kind of internet and game experience to taint reality and keep it unreal. I'd like to walk the Oregon trail specifically to get away from phones, notifications and the usually inescapable onmipresence of the internet for a bit. No wonder most people no longer seem to have respect for the planet and ecosystems that we depend on when a hike without a phone game is too much effort.

Also can't see how my Apple watch battery would stand any chance of a day-long workout without being dead half way through.

• Disagree
Reactions: ProfessionalFan

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
So do you need to have your watch running it while walking? thinking it will kill my battery
No you don't need to have it open. It reads from your health data and will show your progress next time you open it if you don't want the live updates.

Reactions: Corsig

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth

Bigger obstacle for me is this requires an Apple Watch? If so, THAT will be a hard pass for me. Still neat idea none of the less

If you already pay for Apple Music and iCloud consider it Apple Arcade and TV+ thrown in and get the basic Apple One. As a bonus, Apple will stop annoying you to subscribe to Apple One.
Reminder that if you have Costco membership, AA and ATV+ each go for $45 per year there.

Last edited:

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked and the price is still too high for what we need.

I pay for 2TB for iCloud storage and I have iTunes Match (yes, it still exists).

We don’t need Apple Music—We already have Amazon Music and use the free tier of Spotify. Part of the reason I never did Apple Music was there were reports of people having their (legally-purchased) DRM-less music switched to DRM. I’m sure it’s been worked out by now but that ship has sailed for us so to speak.

Did a free trial for Apple News and we paid for Apple TV+ a couple of months, but I almost never used Apple News, and the Morning Show was all we really wanted to watch and we already have Netflix and Hulu with much more content.

So anyway, to get 2TB for iCloud it’d have to be the highest tier of Apple One, we’re already set with music and TV/movies, and I wouldn’t use Apple Arcade enough to justify it just for that.

A year or two down the line if there’s more content we’d like on Apple TV or Apple Arcade maybe we’ll make the switch. :)

Reactions: ackmondual
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.