Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've been on it for a while now and the system works perfect on my iPod touch.

Even in this early stage I can tell it will be a great when finalised.

Jumpman2033

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
Um...Not sure if i missed it, but my number one question is this:

How much data is used by a normal message (ie. maybe a 2 - 3 line message)??

ag227

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
I have 2 questions about this:

1. Can you select not to send iMessages and only send regular SMS to everyone?

2. What happens if you send an iMessage to someone who is seen to be iMessage capable, but then that person moves into a 2g area, can they still recieve it? you do you have to wait for a edge/3g/wifi signal? In which case an SMS would be better?

thanks.....

Kubus

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
Montreal, QC
I have 2 questions about this:

1. Can you select not to send iMessages and only send regular SMS to everyone?

2. What happens if you send an iMessage to someone who is seen to be iMessage capable, but then that person moves into a 2g area, can they still recieve it? you do you have to wait for a edge/3g/wifi signal? In which case an SMS would be better?

thanks.....

You get delivery reports. You would see the message isn't delivered. You could try to resend. Im not sure the phone is smart enough to react to it. Im sure someone can test it out by shutting off their cellular data and WiFi on a device and try to send an iMessage to it from another iOS5 device. My friend who I could test it with is sleeping so Im of no use.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Um...Not sure if i missed it, but my number one question is this:

How much data is used by a normal message (ie. maybe a 2 - 3 line message)??

I've read a typical SMS is under 2KB (and that's being plenty generous). So, let's say you send 7,500 iMessages a month, that's 15MB. And that's NOT including messages you send for free over Wifi.

sdmcwilliams

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
It's great if everyone you know owns an iPhone. I don't pay for unlimited texting. I have the 200 text plan on AT&T for $5 per month. I don't want to spend another $15 for unlimited texting. I have convinced all of my family and friends who are on iPhone, Android and BB to use PingChat because it is free. It has the sent and read check/receipt, group messages, you can send pictures, etc. I guess I will use iMessage with my wife and a couple of co-workers. It will be faster than PingChat. She has an iPad 2 so she will use it on that, too.

I just want one cross-platform app that if free that everyone signs up on. We may never see that, though.

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
If you already use some other messaging App/Service and are happy with it...Don't use iMessage. Wow, that was tough.:rolleyes:

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
actually WhatsApp works on iPod Touches. I was doing that with someone not too long ago.

It may have, but since late last year, it only works on "telephony" devices (look it up in the AppStore & scroll to the bottom, iPod touches/iPads don't work).

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I have 200 txt plan from ATT at $5. I come very close to my limit every month. I say about half is towards others that also have an iPhone. So I would have to keep the 200 text plan anyway since it's the lowest plan for text, but on the up side I don't have to watch my limit so closely anymore & read/receipt confirmation is a plus. I wouldn't drop my text plan, cause $0.15 a text or whatever the price is adds up quickly.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Apple would've said something if AT&T wasn't going to allow it or charge for it. Failing that, we would've seen a press release from AT&T that explained their charges. :rolleyes:
I seriously believe the US carriers will not go along with allowing iMessage, as they do not want anything eating their profits away. Sure RIM does it, but APPLE is becoming a much larger player than RIM. They will either block that feature, or charge per message.

Cancelled
Jan 15, 2008
My main problem, as with everything I have had that was supposed to sync over Apple's cloud or MM or whatever they change the name to next year, is that it does not work.

My conversations do not show up on both my iPad and iPhone. I can send from iPad and receive a reply, but any message originating elsewhere that is not a reply to my iPad imessage ends up in my mail inbox.

youknome

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
iMessage is nice but I personally won't find it useful as I have 12,000 text allowance each month.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
iMessage is nice but I personally won't find it useful as I have 12,000 text allowance each month.

You saw my list of benefits over texting, right?

It's not "I have unlimited texts, so I'm fine" - iMessage offers much much more with real-time text confirmation, works over 3G and Wifi, works on iPod touches/iPads etc...

Again, I have yet to find a reason not to use iMessage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.