Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
~Shard~ said:
My co-worker realized it was time for a new computer when I informed him that I could fit his entire HD contents (1 GB) in my RAM. :eek: :cool:

LOL!!! It must have been very old then!!!

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
...I break out the oscilloscope and start tracing tracks looking for signals for the unused USB and FireWire ports or looking at datasheets to see if I can replace the Ethernet chip for one that supports Gigabit ;)

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
When most of the damages to the machine were caused by you when you got angry because it didint work right.

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
When you still see the "It Is Now Safe To Turn Off Your Computer Screen"
When the processor in the computer does not need a heatsink.
When Your computer gets confused when you put in the current date.
When your computer is not white or aluminum.
When the front of your computer says, "Designed For Windows XP".

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
You know it's time for a new computer when...
...you have to play songs at 2x speed to hear them play at normal speed.

:p
(Not technically feasible but hey, it is funny... my dog laughed when I told him...)

macaddicted

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Down on Copperline...
You know that it is time for a new Mac when your tax preparer tells you that you owe a whole lot less than you had thought.

OK, so maybe that isn't a reason for a new computer, but it is a time to celebrate. What better way than with a Mac?

AJBMatrix

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2006
Athens, Georgia
1) When your antivirus picks up AOL software
2) When your start up menus asks you about "Safe Mode" even after a good shutdown
3) When 56k runs faster than your processor
4) When it was born the same year you were (Apple 2E of mine both 1984)
5) When you see a blue screen of death, unplug the computer for 5 sec, and plug it back in to see the screen is still there. *HAPPENED*
6) When you use it as a space heater in the winter and still get nothing done on it.
7) When you cannot find an OEM parts for it
8) When you go to donate it to charity and they offer you money to keep it and say you need the money more. *Has Not Happened*
9) When you get an error message that reads Windows ME has a critical error in .... blah ... blah ... ".dll"
10) When a White Apple does not appear on the start up screen!

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
Figuring out that Photoshop on a Macbook Pro should run 4 times faster than my iBook...even when running under Rosetta (I used the Photoshop benchmark results from the iMac Duo as an approximation). This is not really scientific, but things can only get better...especially when Universal Binaries are released.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
~Shard~ said:
Not so fast - a similar situation worked out quite nicely for Battlestar Galactica. ;) :D

Speaking of which what happened after that last episode? Did the Admiral's ship lose to Galactica or did some Cylons jump them during that cat fight? :rolleyes:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
generik said:
Speaking of which what happened after that last episode? Did the Admiral's ship lose to Galactica or did some Cylons jump them during that cat fight? :rolleyes:

I haven't seen that much of the show yet - just started with the miniseries a little while ago and am getting through Season 1... ;) :)

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
You know it's time for a new computer when it causes all of the other computers on the network to freeze upon mapping the network drive of it.

lanray

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2005
Time for a new computer

When you've got about 6 more months of AppleCare. That way it's still worth just a little bit more than if it ran out.

Agurri

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
Québec, Canada
You know it's time for a new computer when ... for the past year, sides of the PC are removed to let the air flow, and the temperature is still aournd 160F under normal use :). And the computer isn't a beast; only an Atlhon THunderbird 950 mhz ...

pianojoe

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2001
N 49.50121 E008.54558
Mechcozmo said:
...or when the drool shorts out your current computer as your stare at the MacBook Pro page....

Yeah, man!

Personally, I restrain myself to only buying a new computer when the clock speed doubles. I'm on my 1.33 12" PB G4 right now, so... oh, wait, the MacBook Pro is dual core... 2.16 means 4.32,... I WANT ONE!!!

Where's the 12" MacBook Pro anyway? I need an A4 sized tool!

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
pianojoe said:
Personally, I restrain myself to only buying a new computer when the clock speed doubles. I'm on my 1.33 12" PB G4 right now, so... oh, wait, the MacBook Pro is dual core... 2.16 means 4.32,... I WANT ONE!!!

Where's the 12" MacBook Pro anyway? I need an A4 sized tool!

No, it doesn't mean 4.32 GHz. It means TWO 2.16GHz processors. Dual processors don't boost speed by 100%, but instead by around ~40%. That's why a dual 1.42GHz G4 isn't twice as fast as a 1.42GHz mini. (Other stuff factors into it, yeah, but it isn't that big of a deal)

By my best guess, the dual 2.16Ghz MacBook Pro is equivalent to a ~3.024GHz single core. (Core Solo) Remember, G4s and G5s and Intels are not clock-for-clock equal.

But yes, I agree, I like the 12" formfactor but not the lack of features. Mind fixing that Apple?:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.