You know the drill drop your pants and show me your RAM

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by HeyMAC, Sep 16, 2004.

1. HeyMAC macrumors newbie

HeyMAC

I just clicked the buy button for my iMac G5 1.8 ghz. With 512 mb 1 dimm,I want to get 1 GB with 1 dim so i can keep the 512. Where can i get a cheap but good qaulity stick of ram? How do you tell if its 1 dimm (a lot of the times it says 187 slots or something else)?

2. HeyMAC thread starter macrumors newbie

HeyMAC

But since the imac g5 1.8 17" has only 2 slots and i want to keep the 512 stick(takes up one slot) and add 1 gb that only takes up one slot, HOW DO I TELL HOW MANY SLOTS IT TAKES UP???

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

OWC often has cheaper RAM than Crucial, and the quality is just as good.

You want/need a 1GB DIMM to fit into the iMac. Not 2x512MB... 1x1GB is what you want.

4. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

And newegg.com has Crucial RAM cheaper than Crucial.com and generic RAM from OWC.

BTW, OP, G5 iMac works best when the 2 sticks of RAM are the same size and speed. For a G5 iMac, another stick of Crucial PC3200 512MB from newegg.com will give you the best bang for buck.

5. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

well this is a pretty ****** question...amazingly....1 stick of ram takes up a whopping 1 slot. you guessed it...2 sticks of ram, and say goodbye to your 2 ram slots.

typically a 1GB RAM DIMM is....1 stick. they don't sell the DIMM's as 1GB then give you two x 512...that would be false advertising.

6. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Actually, it's called a matched pair, a lot of companies sells it.

7. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

the matched pair is just for the G5 desktops, because there you need to install in pairs...

J