Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
erickkoch said:
Your faverite songs in high school are now played on "oldies" or "classic rock" stations.

Cute young girls call you "sir."

You make that "uhhhmph" sound every time you get off the couch.

You know what an 8-Track Tape player is or used to own one.

You drive at or below the speed limit.

You remember what it was like to have to get off your butt to change the TV channel manually.
Dang!

All of these apply. Loved those 8-Track tapes.

BTW, I remember when the remotes first came out. Folks would leave them on the TVs. So they would get off the couch, go to the TV, pick up the remote, and then use it to change the channel.

BTW2, do you remember the remote control adapters for regular rotary knob TVs? Those where cool for their time.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
sushi said:
Nice calculator. Have one too. Although mine is a bit younger. Only about 10 years old. Love it.

How are the buttons? Still look good or a bit worn?

Works like a charm, a couple of dents, and rubber feet are missing, but keeps on going!!

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
stubeeef said:
Works like a charm, a couple of dents, and rubber feet are missing, but keeps on going!!
Awesome.

Twenty three years. Guess you got your money's worth out of it! :)

HP sure made some good calculators.

UberMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2005
England
Applespider said:
When most of the people in trendy pubs look around 14 to your eyes:rolleyes:

People in bars are 14, this is London (England) we're talking about!

Anyhoo, I started to feel old when I...started to drive, bought my first lottery ticket...oh wait I only did those, like, a month or so ago! I'm still all lovely and young :D :p

Uber

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
sushi said:
HP sure made some good calculators.
I've got two. An 11c, circa 1988; and a 48g, circa 1998. Both still going strong, I use the 11c at home and the 48g at work.

As a side benefit, no one ever borrows them from my workstation. :D

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
mactastic said:
I've got two. An 11c, circa 1988; and a 48g, circa 1998. Both still going strong, I use the 11c at home and the 48g at work.

As a side benefit, no one ever borrows them from my workstation. :D

Isn't the fashion of entering numbers on those things very different than most calculators?

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
For me I know I knew I was getting old when I started deciding on whether to play sport (football, tennis etc) based on what I was doing that evening or the next day. It used to be that I could play back to back games of football in a day and then back up for a party that night and a BBQ/bushwalk the next day. Now after a single game I need a long soak in a warm bath and an early night to bed. A low activity next day is required for a full recovery :eek:.

jaysmith

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2005
sushi said:
Nice calculator. Have one too. Although mine is a bit younger. Only about 10 years old. Love it.

How are the buttons? Still look good or a bit worn?
"...when you spend time on forums discussing you 10+year old calculator..."

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Originally Posted by jaysmith
"...when you spend time on forums discussing you 10+year old calculator..."
sushi said:
Ouch. That's cold! :mad: :D :D
Or when you read discussions in here about 10+ year old calculators, go to look for yours to see just how old it is, and can't find it. :eek:

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
CompuServe, Prodigy, NetCom and America OnLine were cool and the only thing available. And it used to take 3 hours to download the newest beta of Netscape 2.0.

Yes, I was 9-12 years old at the time. Yes, I was/am a huge nerd. :)

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I think you guys are getting too old to make a getting old thread. Too many of these things apply to me, and I'm 18. :p

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
treblah said:
CompuServe, Prodigy, NetCom and America OnLine were cool and the only thing available. And it used to take 3 hours to download the newest beta of Netscape 2.0.

Yes, I was 9-12 years old at the time. Yes, I was/am a huge nerd. :)

When Netscape Beta 0.98 was a big deal because it introduced flashing text and allowed display of JPEG images. :)

How about this. When you read this thread and feel old because of the things people posting seem so new...

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
xsedrinam said:
Or when you read discussions in here about 10+ year old calculators, go to look for yours to see just how old it is, and can't find it. :eek:
Now I'm thinking that we should get Dr. Q involved to determine the age distribution of MR member's ages compared to the age of Stubeef's HP-12C that is 23 years old.

I wonder how many members are younger than his calculator? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.