Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I would ...

• Stay on the job

Votes: 38 36.2%
  • Quit

Votes: 51 48.6%
  • Buy the business

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Don't know

Votes: 11 10.5%

• Total voters

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Many of us, including myself, often say yes to this theoretical question. But I think it'd be quite difficult to not simply walk out on the inevitable stressful and unnecessary workplace bull***t that we all previously handled and dealt with.

#holyadjectivesbatman!

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Many of us, including myself, often say yes to this theoretical question. But I think it'd be quite difficult to not simply walk out on the inevitable stressful and unnecessary workplace bull***t that we all previously handled and dealt with.

Exactly. It's everywhere.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
I'd stay working at my current job for a while until I figured out what I wanted to do. I'd probably look for a job with decent benefits, because healthcare & kids. Or I'd just start my own company and work from home.

Finally, continuing working is a great lesson to my 2 kids, and kids should know the value of a day's work. I think it was Bill Gates who said that he would leave his kids enough of his fortune that they could do anything, but not enough that they could do nothing.

NukeIT

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
I would stay long enough to recheck my numbers and then I would be GONE!!!

While $10 million is a lot of money, I think I would still need to work for sanity, and medical benefits. So find some part time gig, Tuesdays and Thursday maybe, on the beach serving the hotties umbrella drinks.

scottness

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2009
Room 101
If you won that money at age 20, and died at age 100, that's still $125,000 a year, without any interest added in. Hell, you can live off just the interest of $10m pretty easily, even at just 1% interest. I think that's pretty well above a "moderate" lifestyle. Of course, our definitions of "moderate" might be different.

I think for me, a lot of it would go towards other causes once my family was taken care of.

This is, of course, if the Feds don't stop printing money and hyper-inflation occurs. $10M could quickly become not much at all.

Strax

macrumors member
May 4, 2013
I like my job and love most of the people I work with and it's a great company but I would buy a boat and hire someone to teach me how to sail it and wander the world.

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
Boy, I could go either way, but I lean toward staying on the job. I like what I do and the people I work with, but at the same time I'd worry that the money would become an impediment to my relationships. I'd probably re-structure my salary so that the maximum amount possible would go into my retirement fund, which would have a sweet potential down the road.

Of course news of my winning the lottery would bring out every 2nd cousin and lost in-law on the planet. Just sitting here right now, I can think of at least a dozen family members who would be on my doorstep within 24 hours with their outstretched hands looking for a gift.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.