Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nerdo

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2010
Deathstar Cantina
Might be a good idea to get this, considering how many times I throw this ffn thing across the room for disconnecting 20 times an hour. No problems with the older one or the Logitech one. Oversensitive pos :)

Last edited:

dlondon

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2013
Buy a second remote for the extra $/£20 and you’ll always have a spare in case you temporarily lose the first one (you’ll find it eventually). You could also use the spare remote in a second room if you have the device wired up.

speedyg256

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
If you have your phone to use the AirTag… why not just use the Apple TV remote in control center? It even has a keyboard ⌨️

Reactions: jicon

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
I live alone, so no issues with losing the remote, or anything else. People with an SO, kids, roommates, dogs, etc. probably do lose track of their remotes, so I understand why some people might benefit from tracking. I do like the thicker remote case though. Apple makes the remote way too thin for my old, arthritic hands, so the case without adding an AirTag might be good for people who need a thicker remote. Not a bad price either. If Apple made it they would have charged 2 or 3 times that amount!

I used a piece of self-stick nonskid material on the back of my remote to add about a 1/4” of thickness. The same material used under furniture legs to keep them from sliding around. This case would look a lot better than my home made solution though!

Attachments

• 82456F88-AAA8-4A9B-A7E1-2C7B06E24031.jpeg
    82456F88-AAA8-4A9B-A7E1-2C7B06E24031.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 49
  • C22C4015-C0D6-4626-B92B-CC6030BF29F7.jpeg
    C22C4015-C0D6-4626-B92B-CC6030BF29F7.jpeg
    438.7 KB · Views: 56

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Wobble? whose putting their Apple TV remote on a table to use it that a wobble would even matter. Complaining for the sake of it.
LG remote has slight curve that's even less so than this and you can't press any button on a table. If you don't put on table yours must have been between couch no wonder you lose them.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Imagine if someone told you 30 years ago that in the future, we'll have tracking technology to attach to our TV remotes so that it can tell us exactly where the remote is.

If, in 1991, someone has told me that, I’d have been awed and also happy. For one, that sounds quite sci-fi. And two, no more searching couch cushions.

maxfromdenmark

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Copenhagen
I ordered it right away. Not sure why people give a crap on how thick it is. It's a remote. Why do remotes have to be thin. Your hands aren't built for thin remotes. This gives it a heft that is welcome, plus you can put an AirTag in it which is great. people just like to complain about everything.

Yes, some people buys all the crap, no matter what

• Disagree
Reactions: SuperCachetes

strayts

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011

Elago is known for its range of clever case designs for Apple's devices, and its newest case designed for the Apple TV Siri Remote adds the one feature that Apple left out - Find My functionality.

elago-siri-remote-case.jpg

With the Apple TV Siri Remote R5 Case, there's space to insert an AirTag at the back, which means that if you ever lose your remote, you can locate the AirTag that's inside with the Find My app.

Priced at $15, the Elago Remote R5 Case is made from a thick layer of what the company calls premium silicone, which is designed to protect the remote from drops and other damage.

Elago says that the design of the R5 was modeled after its previous cases, but with the added AirTag holder functionality. With this case, all buttons remain accessible, including the Siri button on the side, which is protected by a silicone cover.

The Apple TV Siri Remote R5 Case can be purchased from Amazon or from the Elago website for $14.99.

Article Link: You Won't Lose Your Apple TV Remote With Elago's New AirTag Remote Case
At $59, the remote should include AirTag functionality out of the box.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
The Amazon page offers it in a white that glows blue in the dark - is that visible enough?
IMHO it's good that the lighter color is an option, and the photoluminescence is a cool perk. I didn't see it on Elago's own website. Between all of that and an AirTag surely that must cover 99% of the possible ways to lose a remote.

• Love
Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2013
This is just silly makes it huge and it’s not like you would loose it badly this can’t be real
Finally this enables us to pick up the remote without accidentally pressing a button or pausing or scrubbing forwards/backwards etc

As of now I have to locate the remote on my couch, then carefully approach it with two pointed fingers, pinching it on its sides to pick it up, then using my second hand to position the remote in my first hand. Only in this way it's guaranteed no function will be triggered.

• Love

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2010
Florida
Am I the only one who prefers the design of the old remote? As soon as I found out they changed the design I took to eBay to buy new stock of the old design. They should have kept the old style as an option.

• Wow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.