Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjharwaz

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2017
Tucson, AZ
Every time I add my credit card to the wallet, it gets compromised. No way I am putting my ID on it.

I wouldn't mind putting my AAA or other organization membership cards on there.
I have my AAA, various airline miles memberships, Marriott, PetSmart, Walgreens, Kroger, Office Depot all added to my wallet on my phone. Some work for NFC recognition (Walgreens for example) while others have the appropriate membership info available for display to whomever needs to see it (barcode for scanning at stores, AAA membership number and status, etc.).

Reactions: Jakuta

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
This is convenient, but I see privacy issues coming up for this...

i.e. we have to present ID to the police, but as of now, they cannot force us to give phone password. So what do you do?
Be prepared to give your phone and phone access to law enforcement....

actually no...im my state a law was enacted 5 years ago that required law enforcement to accept a digital ID AND does not allow them to touch the phone. We already have a private app that is linked to the motor vehicles department and dept of health so you have digital versions of DL and Vaccine cards. Im sure many states that dont already offer this will follow suit quickly. Sounds like Apple is about to put them out of business

Last edited:
Reactions: Tagbert

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Yet again, people saying "you'll have to hand your unlocked phone to police, no thanks". Literally not how the Wallet app works. You can use cards in it with the phone locked. Granted, you may inadvertently unlock your phone and hand it over then the cop gets an unlocked phone. Magically you can make sure you first double tap the lock button before getting your face in view, then it stays on Wallet app, then it's locked and you can access ID cards from the Wallet app. You can get additional protection by disabling FaceID by holding the lock button and down volume button for a few seconds, then FaceID is disabled, which you should do in a stop anyway (so they can't hover it in front of your face and get it unlocked), then you still can access cards as you need, but no one can access the phone and they can't hover it in front of your face to unlock it.

Disabling FaceID basically gives you as much protection as you can get without leaving your phone behind.

kheard73

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2010
Texas

i.e. we have to present ID to the police, but as of now, they cannot force us to give phone password. So what do you do?
I would assume in this instance that a double click on the side button would pull up the wallet and allow you to see your ID without accessing the phone itself.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
I have my AAA, various airline miles memberships, Marriott, PetSmart, Walgreens, Kroger, Office Depot all added to my wallet on my phone. Some work for NFC recognition (Walgreens for example) while others have the appropriate membership info available for display to whomever needs to see it (barcode for scanning at stores, AAA membership number and status, etc.).
How did you get your AAA card in there?

mjharwaz

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2017
Tucson, AZ
How did you get your AAA card in there?
Since I can’t currently get past the add vehicle part of the app, it’s hard to confirm, but I believe there is an option from the app when you view your ID card to click add to wallet. Either the usual wallet looking button or maybe a tap on an ellipse button to bring up the options… it’s been so long since I did it and it’s just carried over from phone to phone.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
it should not take unlocking your phone though. double click the power button to bring it up in wallet?
I just tested this. With my finger over the cameras, I was able to open the wallet and flip through cards. No need to Face ID for access to the wallet.

I'm undecided if this is an answer or a problem. ha.

PhysicsRunner

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2019
Alabama has had the ability to add the driver license to Apple Wallet for at least four years that I'm aware of. It's available at no extra cost to anyone who renews online. You get an email with the appropriate link that when opened in the mail app on the iPhone loads the DL right into the Wallet app. My understanding is that law enforcement is to accept this just like they would the hard copy, although I don't plan to test that.

sdreamer07

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2018
Give it about 15 years, California will finally adopt this, and call it the Real Digital ID... and then charge you 35$ to add it to your phone.

jbellanca

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007

You can already pull up your Wallet without unlocking the rest of your phone but double-tapping the wake button.

kasei

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I saw this coming in 2013 when I was working on digital proof of insurance for Farmers Insurance. And we had the same discussions when it came to proof of insurance and whether you needed to hand it to the police. It was a non issue. The police ask for all three with the hopes you won't drive off. In most states the police can run a query regarding insurance and registration on the computer in their cruiser. However drivers license is different scenario. You can call up Apple Wallet without unlocking your phone. So I don't see a need to hand your personal device over if you can clearly show who you are on the screen. However because this is so new I am sure there is going to be a lot of education needed on both sides of a traffic stop. It was the same when digital proof of insurance was rolled out.

Xak444

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2021
I saw this coming in 2013 when I was working on digital proof of insurance for Farmers Insurance. And we had the same discussions when it came to proof of insurance and whether you needed to hand it to the police. It was a non issue. The police ask for all three with the hopes you won't drive off. In most states the police can run a query regarding insurance and registration on the computer in their cruiser. However drivers license is different scenario. You can call up Apple Wallet without unlocking your phone. So I don't see a need to hand your personal device over if you can clearly show who you are on the screen. However because this is so new I am sure there is going to be a lot of education needed on both sides of a traffic stop. It was the same when digital proof of insurance was rolled out.
I’m still gonna carry my ID around for now. But I’d love to not have to.

zadumu

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2021
I don't ever see a situation where you'd have to physically hand your phone to the police.
1. The only information police actually need from your drivers license is the license number, the physical ID does little good because they're running it in their computer anyway.
2. Since states need to opt in to participate I imagine that the ultimate goal is to have everyone/everywhere who needs to see your license get it through electronic means. Since the adoption process will likely be glacial there will still be a need to carry around your physical license. This will be just like Apple Pay, its convenient when its available but you'll still have to carry around physical cards because it's not available everywhere.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I don't ever see a situation where you'd have to physically hand your phone to the police.
1. The only information police actually need from your drivers license is the license number, the physical ID does little good because they're running it in their computer anyway.
2. Since states need to opt in to participate I imagine that the ultimate goal is to have everyone/everywhere who needs to see your license get it through electronic means. Since the adoption process will likely be glacial there will still be a need to carry around your physical license. This will be just like Apple Pay, its convenient when its available but you'll still have to carry around physical cards because it's not available everywhere.
Since states like mine already has a Mobile ID app, they just scan the barcode, or the cops write down the numbers.

Ive used it everywhere already and have no need to carry my physical license. I still do anyway, literally because I can’t stand the empty slot in my wallet that’s designed for an ID.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

You don’t need to unlock your phone to get to Wallet, right?

That’s a legit question, I do t really use wallet for anything.

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
They can get you to give up your biometrics (face or fingerprint) though via a warrant, which it appears can be used to unlock your government ID. (Speaking about the USA)

Then you keep the hardcopy with you.

“The presentation of digital information from a mobile or digital driver’s license or identification card to an official of a Federal agency for an official purpose may not be construed to grant consent for such Federal agency to seize the electronic device on which the license or card is stored or to examine any other information contained on such device"

Also there are ways to keep your phone locked while just showing the ID

The way they presented it they didn't expect you to hand your phone over to anyone any more than you do now to pay with the wallet.

They clearly stated that the TSA is working on a NFC device just like any contactless card reader and wallet displays what it's sharing before it shares it.

It's on you if you hand your unlocked phone to cops before they carry reading devices.

Probably gonna include an option to show ID without logging in

I would suggest not putting it into your phone. You're absolutely right that unlocking your phone for a cop is a bad move, especially if you're the sort of person with a bit more melanin in your skin.

Also, like you said, they can't force you to give up your phone password, which is why it's a good idea to shut down your phone the moment a cop pulls you over - that way FaceID can't be used, which they ARE legally allowed to force you to do (when last I read, anyway).

Just like Apple Pay, double clicking the side button will just unlock the ID, and nothing else in the rest of the phone.

You don’t need to unlock your phone to get to Wallet, right?

That’s a legit question, I do t really use wallet for anything.
I understand that you can access wallet without unlocking your phone, but often times just looking at the phone automatically unlocks. Also, don't forget that at least in the US, we hand our ID to police to take back to vehicle. Do you really want to give your phone to the police for an unknown amount of time? I am actually pro-policing, but I think a cell-phone camera is a big form of protection for us common folk.

Reactions: applesque
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.