Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
I'm boring. Vodka and Lemonade or coke. Vodka is great. I find it's quite easy on the stomach. Rarely get a hangover after heavy drinking with it.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
bursty said:
Whats the recipe? I like a good Bloody Mary every once in a while

Lau said:
Ooh, yeah, I'd like to know that too. I do enjoy a nice spicy savoury Bloody Mary on occasion.

Strangely enough, it is not too far off of what you'd find in the Mr. Boston's Guide. The difference is in the garnish and the spices. It doesn't sound that different, but it is very good and much better than anything I have ever had. I never liked them until I had one of these Bloody Marys.

Here goes -

• 1.5 oz Vodka
  • 3 oz V8 - regular, not spicy or picante (you can use it, but then cut back on Tabasco)
  • Dash of lemon juice - real stuff, please
  • 1/2 - 3/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 2-3 drops Tobasco Sauce - or more!
Shake with ice in shaker and strain into glass of ice. Very important! Don't just pour ingredients into a glass and stir. It will not taste the same.

Add -

• Pinch of kosher or sea salt
  • Fresh ground pepper to taste - I use enough to see it in the mix
  • Dash of oregano - not too much more for contrast than flavor
  • Fresh grated Parmesan cheese - as much as you like - again, I use a lot
Garnish -

One each thick slice hard salami, cocktail onions, and big a** olive on skewer or long toothpick.

Stir, enjoy, repeat - often!

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
First choice Gin and Tonic with a slice of lime. Second choice Bloody Mary. Third choice Vodka and Tonic. ...that's it plain and simple...

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
Well I'm a bit of a Guinness fan myself. At a night at the bar with friends we always start out with Irish Car Bomb's all around.

You put a 1/2 shot Bailey's Irish cream then a 1/2 shot Jameson Irish whiskey in a shot glass, then drop the shot glass into like a 3/4's pint of guinness and chug. Then I always follow with some Guinness black and tan (about Half Guinness with Bass Ale on the bottom half). Doesn't get better than that. :D

Of course Jagger Bombs are always good fun too. :)

L

Lau

emaja said:
...parmesan....
One each thick slice hard salami, cocktail onions, and big a** olive on skewer or long toothpick.

Stir, enjoy, repeat - often!

Ooh, that's like a meal - sounds good to me! Nice. I must say, up to the point of the oregano, I would say that's how I'd make a bloody mary, especially enough black pepper to crunch on. But I'm loving the cheese meat onion and olive addition...:) Like a bar snack and drink in one. All you need is some croutons and you could stay in the bar forever....:D

Melkor

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
vodka and red bull is good. I heard it's really bad for you though. meh.

JD and coke isn't too bad either, but I prefer it straight.

webcookie

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2006
Brava Centauri
- Cosmopolitan
- Margarita (excellent as a slush)
- Whiskey Sour
- Tequila Sunrise
- Screwdriver

RedBull & vodka is good to get drunk but nasty to taste. :\

Also, try mixing Captain Morgan's Passionfruit with Sprite or 7up; very yummy.

The first night I ever had a cosmo, I ended up drinking four. I didn't realize how drunk I was until I had to leave the bar. Getting to the car was an adventure (no, I didn't drive).

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Lau said:
Ooh, that's like a meal - sounds good to me! Nice. I must say, up to the point of the oregano, I would say that's how I'd make a bloody mary, especially enough black pepper to crunch on. But I'm loving the cheese meat onion and olive addition...:)

See what I mean about it being pretty standard until you get to the garnish? It is all in the details.

I like a bunch of pepper and cheese floating in and amongst the ice. Not sure if you have Ms. Dash in the UK, but sometimes we use that instead of the oregano. It adds a different, fuller flavor.

I am getting together with friends on Tuesday for "New Releases Tuesday" - new Donald Fagen CD - and Bloody Marys. We might try the croutons just for kicks.

Ooh. Forgot about the beer chaser. Although I usually like ales - mmmm, Bass - a nice Pilsner goes well with it.

DCapple

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
i like vodka + tonic...
although im a big fan also of vodka cause it dont give hang-overs!

cheers!! :)

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
depends.

Favorite Bar Drink:
Rye & Coke

Favorite at home drink:
Crown Royal & Ginger Ale

Favorite Shot:
Jager!...yeah I know it's not mixed but there's magic in them herbs

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
Yeah, Rye and Coke (DC) for me
like Rye & 7 for a change up
White Russians are good
Liquid Cocaine can pick you up - made a few different ways but Jagger and Goldschlager works

DCapple

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
How does that work?

what do you mean..:confused:
ok ill clarify...i have less hang-over with vodka unlike those drinks with rums..:) i dont know if this works with others..

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
I am not old enough to drink, and never would break the law...:eek:

However, if I theoretically were to have a favorite drink, it would be Whitebread Pale Ale.

If it was mixed it would be a Chocolate Martini (Vodka and Chocolate Liquor, sweet and easy to drink, not to mention it tastes like chocolate!)

And if it was not mixed it would be gin, straight up, no ice. makes you feel warm and toasty all the way down!

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
mac_head101 said:
How does that work?

Hangovers are caused by the impurities of the alcohol, so since darker liquors have more impurities, the lighter ones will tend to have fewer congeners (impurities).

Lots of water helps flush those toxins out and also helps prevent dehydration, as alcohol is also a diuretic. Your liver and kidneys need water to process the alcohol, so when you lose water, your body struggles to rid itself of toxins.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Usually I just drink beer, but some drinks are delicious:

Vodka (most often Absolut or Smirnoff) and Sprite (or any other lemon flavoured soda, really, I prefer Schweppes Lemon, but that's hard to get hold of :)()).

Tequila shots (with the whole salt + lemon boats thing).

Hmmm... I've not been drunk in ages (several years actually)... might be time for a binge come Friday... I got a litre of Tequila and a litre of yellow or orange Absolut (hope it's the yellow) somewhere... ;) :D

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
emaja said:
Hangovers are caused by the impurities of the alcohol, so since darker liquors have more impurities, the lighter ones will tend to have fewer congeners (impurities).

Lots of water helps flush those toxins out and also helps prevent dehydration, as alcohol is also a diuretic. Your liver and kidneys need water to process the alcohol, so when you lose water, your body struggles to rid itself of toxins.

Actually the primary cause of the hangover is dehydration. Alcohol is a diuretic, causing us to lose more fluid than normal via urine and sweat. The symptoms of a hangover are similar to someone who is dying of thirst. The type of alcohol has very little to do with it.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
I don't really have any other drinks to add but I saw you guys talking about hangovers I would like to proudly say that I have never had one :D.

I have no idea how or why (no, it's not because I don't drink :p) but it just never happens. No matter how much I drink. I remember a couple times being so smashed and being sure that I would finally get a hangover the next day. But, it just never came. I have no idea why I have this magical power, but I sure hope it doesn't go away.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Chundles said:
Actually the primary cause of the hangover is dehydration. Alcohol is a diuretic, causing us to lose more fluid than normal via urine and sweat. The symptoms of a hangover are similar to someone who is dying of thirst. The type of alcohol has very little to do with it.
That's right, but the mentioned impurities in coloured liquors do both increase the dehydration and add a bit of headache in itself (in my experience ;)). Staying clear of those is a good idea, if you're planning to get s***faced... ;)

But, the best way to avoid any unpleasantness is to order a plain soda when "last calls" are made, and drink (at least) half a litre of water before going to bed. That way you actually had one drink less than you'd have "normally", you don't get into bed with increasing while the alcohol level in your blood is still rising (which is a sure way to make the room start spinning, with all the troubles keeping those last drinks down that might cause) and last, but most important, you don't get as dehydrated as you would otherwise.

All in all, I've only had a real hangover once since I was about 18 or 19, and that was the time I broke all my rules: Drank brown liquor in addition to beer, vodka, tequila, and some gods might know what else and (probably) forgot all about drinking water... that was a hard afternoon the day after when I finally got out of bed... :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.