Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
This thread is for PowerPC Macs you’ve either been given for free; found for free; rescued (again, for free) from an electronics recycler; or best yet, a dumpster-dive find. (I’ve also started a parallel thread on the Early Intel Macs forum for found Macs of the Intel variety).

Over the years, several PowerPC Macs have shown up in my life for the price of free. Some came from barter, but many more were either abandoned or just handed to me to do what I could from them. If you live in a bigger city, have a lot of relatives, or old friends, you’ve probably had one or three land at your doorstep.

So that’s what this thread will be all about. Like the one over on the Early Intel Macs forum, this thread can be a sort of a companion for the ongoing “eBay bargains — what’s your latest conquest?” thread.

I’m looking forward to reading some fun stories and learning how you might have repurposed them! :D

itanium_hunter

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2022
I was given a Quad G5 with 8GB ram by a workshop about 2 weeks ago. It had the usual problems - overtemp and checkstop. I pulled the LCS and put in 1x DC 2.0Ghz until i get the time to refurb the Quad cooling. It's happily sitting under my desk with 10.5 installed.

Doq

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
The Lab DX
When I picked up the A1139, the seller included a minorly beat up Titanium (A1001, Littorio). Said he didn't wanna see it end up as e-waste so he threw it in as bonus. And now I have a physical proof that the Garamond PBG4 wordmark appeared on 1280x854 Ti displays.

The Companion (A1046, Enterprise) was purchased for me by a friend when we went to a university surplus shop in college, and I saw it and went "*gasp* powerbook!! :D"
To this day I never paid her back for it, so technically it's free?

And of course I was sent the Twelve (A1104, Surcouf) from @z970 all that time ago. Still a neat little server terminal to this day.

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
When I picked up the A1139, the seller included a minorly beat up Titanium (A1001, Littorio). Said he didn't wanna see it end up as e-waste so he threw it in as bonus. And now I have a physical proof that the Garamond PBG4 wordmark appeared on 1280x854 Ti displays.

Oh heck, I could have let you know about that. Even the first iPod, released eight months later, used Apple Garamond. The switchover began to happen, more or less, after the time of Macworld 2002.

Reactions: Doq and Amethyst1

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
I have been pretty lucky with a very specific dumpster for e-waste at my workplace over the years. My two best finds are probably my 400 MHz Blue & White Power Mac G3 (specifically a Mac Server G3 400) and a bit later I also found a 23" Apple Cinema Display HD (the aluminum model) that was left for dead. Both still work great more than a decade later. Here's a photo of the G3.

IMG_0044.JPG

Doq

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
The Lab DX
Oh heck, I could have let you know about that. Even the first iPod, released eight months later, used Apple Garamond. The switchover began to happen, more or less, after the time of Macworld 2002.
Well I was always under the impression and the assumption that all Ti's with the 1152x768 display (pre-DVI) had the Apple Garamond wordmark and that all Ti's with the 1280x854 display (DVI and later) had the Myriad wordmark. Probably only the first part of this is true, now I've realised.

Reactions: B S Magnet

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
Well I was always under the impression and the assumption that all Ti's with the 1152x768 display (pre-DVI) had the Apple Garamond wordmark and that all Ti's with the 1280x854 display (DVI and later) had the Myriad wordmark. Probably only the first part of this is true, now I've realised.

What would be interesting to find out is whether the switch happened mid-release within a Ti PB revision — namely, as the manufacturer used Garamond-printed bezels and switched to Myriad once the former ran out.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I have been pretty lucky with a very specific dumpster for e-waste at my workplace over the years. My two best finds are probably my 400 MHz Blue & White Power Mac G3 (specifically a Mac Server G3 400) and a bit later I also found a 23" Apple Cinema Display HD (the aluminum model) that was left for dead. Both still work great more than a decade later. Here's a photo of the G3.

View attachment 2147729
What is THAT?! It looks like a Blue and White G3, but it's actually blue?!

(All the ones I've seen have gone greenish over the years...)

Reactions: eyoungren

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
@eyoungren gave me a PM 6500

I may forget some in this, but one dear(and since passed) professor in graduate school passed most of her and her husbands old Macs down to me over several years. From memory:

Mac Plus w/HD20
A 128K-converted to a Plus w/HD20
PM 8500
B&W G3, still with a lot of the stickers present
PowerBook 180
PowerBook 5400C

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
What is THAT?! It looks like a Blue and White G3, but it's actually blue?!

(All the ones I've seen have gone greenish over the years...)
It does look pretty good, though up close there are signs of the plastic aging with fine cracks around the screws where the handles and feet mount to the case. The rubber surfaces on the feet are also deteriorating. But other than that it looks great and works well. I'm unfortunately planning to get rid of it due to a lack of space. My retro-mac needs will have to be fulfilled by my PowerBook G4 instead.

Reactions: B S Magnet
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.