Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

galstaph

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2002
The Great White North Eh
Lemme See this is what i'm Pulling right now:

Raw Speed: 2012245.23 bits per second

Communications: 2 megabits per second

Storage: 245.6 kilobytes per second

1MB file download: 4.2 seconds

Rating:

Compared to all connection types worldwide, yours is fantastic

Hehe Good ol' Canadian Cable companies...

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by saabmp3
HAHA, I can beat you all (at work that is :) ) 4 (yeah, get that!) bridged cable modems. We can do it cause RCN needs to get approval in the town gov to get contracts, and I work for the town gov. 4 cable modems can typically pull speeds around 5-7 but I'll get a spec page tomorrow for a test.

BEN

How is 5-7Mbps more than 8Mbps? Although I am on a T3...:D :D

Wait a minute... I should be getting 45Mbps!!! Must be because of at least 1000 computers hooked up to the line.

MacMaster

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
PacBell lies!

Here's my speed:

Attachments

• netscape 6  1.jpg
    netscape 6 1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 151

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
baaaaaaaahhhhhh i only have 28.8 but i'm at my relatives on 56k

i cant wait till i get a high speed conn cuz i've been on 28.8 for so long n i cant stand it anymore

Zenith

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2001
Norway
I have a 2 Mb ADSL connection with 768 kbps upload. It's a great connection, but tomorrow I'll move to another city and I have to use 56k for a couple of weeks before I can get an ADSL connection again... :( And I can't get any higher speed than 640 kbps because it's too expensive... And my dad isn't paying.. :p

We have a super broadband offer here in Norway. In Oslo you can get a 10 Mb connection for just 30 $ a month! I don't live in Oslo and the best thing i can get is a 8 Mb DSL connection for about 200 $ a month..! Even the lousy ( :p ) 640 kbps connection I'm about to order will cost me around 40 $ a month...

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
wow man , that damn fast

in Asutralia, its 1.5mb down and only 128k up for $89AUS and that includes a whooping 3gig of file transfer this includes uploads also, so consider yourself lucky

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
At home I still use Dialup after BT disconnecting me from DSL about 6 months back (because of a line failure) At work we have (in London) a 132mb leased line to the net, which accomidates each sites 8x 2mb Pipes to the net, all of these are leased line.

Ensign

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
Even though I can pull real-time full-screen video @ 24fps at work down the intranet service (T3 - or faster), I'm currently stuck on 56K at home - until I can talk my wife into letting me install ADSL. It's not much more expensive for the 512K line (£25/month), but it's only £35/month for 1Mb with BlueYonder Cable (using an Ethernet Modem). I'm thinking about it - ultimately, I'd want to use AirPort, and the BT service providers don't give out Ethernet Modems (only crap USB ones).

Interestingly, I was talking to a BT technician a while back. Now that ISDN's fallen off the face of the earth (and COSTS the earth, too!), he told me that there's still tons of bandwidth that can be used with copper technology. Currently, the fastest non-cable private home service in the U.K. is 512K. This guy said that the technology existed to offer up to 8MB/Sec. down existing copper wires.

Now THAT'S fast...

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by kiwi_the_iwik
It's not much more expensive for the 512K line (£25/month), but it's only £35/month for 1Mb with BlueYonder Cable (using an Ethernet Modem). I'm thinking about it - ultimately, I'd want to use AirPort, and the BT service providers don't give out Ethernet Modems (only crap USB ones).
Go for it, get BY 1Mb Cable, I could not recommend it more!
I'd say it's the best connection available to the home user in the UK at the moment, and the fact that the cable modem connects via a regular LAN patch cable (RJ-45) means that you can plug it into cable routers to share the connection easily....which you can't do so easily with BT's USB ADSL modem.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
impressive stats all around. the worst part about this whole thing is i have a DSL modem and an ethernet router sitting right in front of me and i can't do anything until my roommate gets back with his password and info so we can set me up. 3 more days in the slowlane;) BTW, i will be able to split the DSL line thru the router, right?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I am on 1Mb cable, yet when I test my speed at speed411.com it says I am at over 4000kpbs, and with the downloadable exe for PC tested it says 2003kpbs? WTF?? :confused:
I don't think either of the above are possible and so there for the readings they give on your connection speed seem to be total crap.

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Originally posted by verbose101
I am on 1Mb cable, yet when I test my speed at speed411.com it says I am at over 4000kpbs, and with the downloadable exe for PC tested it says 2003kpbs? WTF?? :confused:
I don't think either of the above are possible and so there for the readings they give on your connection speed seem to be total crap.

that's because you're reloading the page. It's pulling the info out of your hd's cache. duh :D

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by topicolo

that's because you're reloading the page. It's pulling the info out of your hd's cache. duh :D
What a crap test then, if that is the case. It still does not explain why the exe is returning a speed twice that of what I know it really is. :rolleyes:
Plus one minite it says maybe only 174kbps then the next 2000kpbs+ (the exe I mean), there is not network activity difference when I run the test (no one accessing the web, downloading etc) so why the hell would it return such different results? Just seems a bit off to me.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
We have three T1 lines here at work (shared between ~250 people) and I have a 1.7Mbps DSL connection at home. That's 1.7Mbps downstream with a 384kbps upstream. Not bad, considering how I have seen it burst at up to 2Mbps before (downstream).

I have Earthlink at home (been with them since mid-1997) and have only had a few problems with them over the years. I'll check the connection uptime when I get home (since I use the Airport base station to keep me connected 24/7) but I have seen it in the hundreds of hours before.

Once you go high speed, it's very painful to go back down to dial-up. I know I couldn't do it now... Hell, even my mother is on a high speed connection (courtesy of a router and ~50' ethernet cord) but she is at ~650kbps (that's what my sister and bro-in-law signed up for a couple of years ago). I pay ~$10 more, and get over 2x the speed they do. :D

Sepulchre

macrumors member
May 27, 2002
UK

Who are you with? I am with Blueonder for my 1Mb cable connection, they only released in the the last couple of weeks so indeed is is VERY new!

Bleuyonder also :D

Well worth the extra 10 quid to upgrade from the 512k in my opinion.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by Sepulchre

Bleuyonder also :D

Well worth the extra 10 quid to upgrade from the 512k in my opinion.
For sure, it feels much faster and download speeds (from decent websites) are greatly improved, now I want 1.5Mb from Blueyonder, but I have a feeling that's a little way off yet, but hey, 1024k is pretty decent :D ....for now at least ;)

Sepulchre

macrumors member
May 27, 2002
UK

For sure, it feels much faster and download speeds (from decent websites) are greatly improved, now I want 1.5Mb from Blueyonder, but I have a feeling that's a little way off yet, but hey, 1024k is pretty decent :D ....for now at least ;)

I still want the 10mb connection they have in Italy for €60. But hey 1mb is better than 56k :D Do you think Blueyonder will drop the prices soon? Or maybe increase the speed? from what I can tell the upgrade from 512 to 1024 went pretty smooth for them so maybe another speed bump isnt so far away.

MacMaster

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Now I'm confused

This is mine from speed411.com:

Attachments

• internet explorer  2.jpg
    internet explorer 2.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 122

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by Sepulchre

I still want the 10mb connection they have in Italy for €60. But hey 1mb is better than 56k :D Do you think Blueyonder will drop the prices soon?
Yeah, that 10Mb Italian would be nice!
I can't see the price dropping, I think £25 for 512 and £35 for 1024 is very fair and competitive here in the UK.
So far as speed increases I think it'll be a while, mainly because it was at 512k for about 2 years or more before finally the 1024 line has come along.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Hmmm...isn't that just too fast? Do you have time to brew coffee or make lunch or go out to lunch? No!!!

A 300 bits per second connection is speedy enough for anyone. I can remember when my buddy had a BBS (bulletin board system) on his Atari 800 with two 180KB diskette drives and a 300 bps connection. :D

I'm stuck with 56K for right now and it's not so bad in comparison. BellSouth announced DSL service in my neighbourhood outside Orlando, FL but I don't have a job right now, so...what can I sacrifice to get the extra speed?

:::makes a sign "Will work for speed":::

Oops, that doesn't sound quite right. :D

Sepulchre

macrumors member
May 27, 2002
UK

Yeah, that 10Mb Italian would be nice!
I can't see the price dropping, I think £25 for 512 and £35 for 1024 is very fair and competitive here in the UK.
So far as speed increases I think it'll be a while, mainly because it was at 512k for about 2 years or more before finally the 1024 line has come along.

True. But do you remember the problems Blueyonder had early on with their 512k service, I lost my connection every couple of days.

I'm in Scotland, where they tested the 1mb connection, and it pretty much went nationwide as soon as the trial ended. Pretty impressive stuff!

They seem to be on top of all the early problems now (wait for the shouts of no they are not!:D ). Which makes me wonder if they will keep moving up in speed.

But maybe i'm just being greedy :p

aznatari

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2002
NJ
I use RCN 2-way cable modem and it certainly kicks 56k's ass. It goes like 25x faster than 56k and goes up to 400k per second. Its awesome! For like 20 bucks more a month, its considerabily better to go with anything other than dialup. And yes.....you probably are the last one that actually uses dialup.lol.

atari

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.