Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Awesome

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2008
Philippines
Just seconding other people's ideas here.

1. Real battery life of 5-6 hours. (Not the fantasy-land Apple numbers)
2. 4 gigs of memory
3. 128 or 256gig SSD

and 128 GB HD.

I say add a second flip door where the magsafe is with a FW400 port in it. That way when you're on the go you have a flawless looking machine with no visible ports, but plenty ready with a flip of a finger. As well, throw in matte screen, thinner bezel, and maybe 1440x900 on that. Not that I wouldn't buy one now if I had the money.

I like the extra flip door idea.

As of now, HP and Dell haven't ventured into the 1440x900 realm (regarding their 13.3 inchers). It would be a good idea if Apple led the way.

Take this, remove the FW400 (because to be honest, after owning this MBP since June, I haven't used Firewire once), and we have a winner!

Replace the FW400 with another USB. I haven't used FW my whole life!

stereo speakers wouldn't hurt.

Those wouldn't hurt at all ;)

If I only could have one additional item I think it would be an expresscard slot.

I would like to veto the superdrive as a built in.

The ExpressCard wouldn't fit, I think.

I second the veto! Computers are getting smaller and traditional optical media are not following!

ducatidoc

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2008
+1 on the veto.

if anyone from apple is listening (and i highly doubt that is the case) most of us get along just fine with out one.

now putting the drivers to borrow another computers drive on a usb flash drive and mailing it with the computer, that would be smart!!

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
We need a tablet Mac

This summer, I finally bit the bullet an bought (cough, sputter) and HP tablet--which is great _when_ it works properly (Vista sux). :mad: I would get rid of it in a heartbeat :) if there were a MacBook Air that did what it does:

* Reversible screen (use as conventional MBA or flip screen to use as tablet)
* Handwriting recognition (see below)

Key features for tablet is ability to:
- Import PDFs and text files, annotate them (handwritten annotation), highlight them (again by hand, not by using mouse)

- Take handwritten notes that can be kept as handwritten OR converted to text (would prefer ability to maintain handwritten notes as backup)

How hard can this be, Apple? :D

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland
REV MBA.2 (Shipping 10/15/08)

3G <--- ......a must...... heck it will be 2009 in 6 weeks (yup, Rev 2 at xmass time & 3G networks are almots built to 20% and growing...user picks the network of choice)

If Air gets updated on October 14th, you should throw that prediction of yours into all rumor sites' and blog's authors' faces :D.

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

mirffy said:
I know I'm not the first, but gosh Apple!

- Matte Screen
- thin bezel

Anything beyond that would be an added bonus.

Judging by the masses of people constantly whining about wanting either 3G or any other wireless phone inside a laptop: are you all sitting on money, or do you have insanely cheap mobile data plans??

The latter.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
FW400 isn't needed on the MacBook Air... even for backup or being on the road. The only thing the MBA really needs is a faster processor and more wireless capabilities.

I wouldn't mid 4GB of RAM, but jacking up the price isn't my thing. Just give me real battery life like others have said (up to 7 hours), and mobile broadband since many of us do know that there is a world outside of AT&T's ridiculous prices.

riz78612

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2007
13" widescreen LCD display,
Intel® Centrino® 2 processor technology
4GB RAM,
500GB hard drive (250GBx2) with Raid technology,
NVIDIA® graphics,
Blu-ray Disc™ optical drive, HD
DMI output,
Bluetooth®,
TV Tuner

CPU Section
Microprocessor Full Name Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T9600 with Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology
Microprocessor Manufacturer Intel®
Microprocessor Speed (GHz) 2.8
L2 Cache (KB) 6144 Advanced Smart Cache
Frontside Bus (MHz) 1066
Number of Cores 2

Memory
Memory Speed (MHz) 800
Memory Type DDR2 SDRAM (2x2048MB)
Max. Memory (MB) 4096
Max Memory Comment In the case of 4GB, a portion of the system memory over 3GB might not be available to the operating system
Memory Size (MB) 4096

Drives
Hard Drive Type Serial ATA / SSD Flash drive Ultra ATA/66
Hard Drive Capacity (GB) 628 (500GB HDD + 2x64GB SSD Raid 0 support)
Hard Drive Speed (rpm) 4200
Optical Drive Type Blu-ray Disc™ Drive: BD-R/-RE/-ROM/ DVD+-RW/+-R DL/RAM Drive (reader/writer)
Optical Drive Fitting Built-in

Multimedia
TV Tuner Board YES
Intel® High Definition Audio compatible YES
3D Surround Dolby Home Theatre®
Built-in Stereo Speakers YES
Built-in Subwoofer YES
Windows® Sound System Compatible YES
Sound Reality YES
DVB-T YES

Battery life- 24 hours

vendettabass

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2006
Wellington, New Zealand
1.6/1.86Ghz Montevina CPU's
4GB RAM
Intel X4500 or integrated NVIDIA chip (whichever is smaller & most power efficient)
64GB SSD stock, 128GB option
Smaller bezel / footprint

no more ports or features required

GreyHare

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2007
Austin, TX
I'd be happy with the drive changing to SATA so I don't have to worry about drive availability when I want to get something bigger.

While I'd like a Firewire port, the Air isn't about fast as much as it's about versatile and efficient, so USB should be fine. USB's pathetic sustained data transfer rates won't be a bother. I've got an MBP for speed.

One thing they could do that would be cute would be to trade out the side ports for an ExpressCard slot.

And what are these 3G data plans that are "better than AT&T?" Are they some business-only thing?

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland
From the most likely to the most unlikely:

new processors (but still 1.6/1.8GHz)
4GB RAM
new chipset (either Intel's or NVIDIA's)
better battery life
switch to SATA (would mean only SSD options - so unlikely)

1.6/1.86Ghz Montevina CPU's
4GB RAM
Intel X4500 or integrated NVIDIA chip (whichever is smaller & most power efficient)
64GB SSD stock, 128GB option
Smaller bezel / footprint

no more ports or features required

Montevina means there'll be X4500. NVIDIA chipset means no Montevina.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
  • 13" WSXGA+ Resolution
  • Built-in 3G with easy access SIM slot
  • 4GB RAM standard
  • 2.5" SSD support with SATA
  • FW800 + USB 2.0
  • Geforce low-end GPU with Purevideo HD
  • Trackpoint
  • Bigger mouse button
  • Removable battery
  • Choice between LV processor and standard processor

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
  • 13" WSXGA+ Resolution
  • 4GB RAM standard
  • FW800 + USB 2.0
  • Trackpoint
  • Bigger mouse button
  • Removable battery

where will you put the giant fan to cool your "standard processor"?

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland
  • 13" WSXGA+ Resolution
  • 4GB RAM standard
  • FW800 + USB 2.0
  • Trackpoint
  • Bigger mouse button
  • Removable battery

It doesn't sound like MacBook Air at all... ;)

Aron.G

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2008
Western Australia
What is your second generation Air wish list?

Here is mine. Apple are you listening?

Ten, Twelve, and Fifteen inch screen option
Silver or Black aluminum case option
Silver case with silver keys and Black case with black keys
Matte screen option
Thin bezel frame around screen
High Definition screen option
Blu-Ray disc option
Built in EVDO wireless
Stereo Speakers
FireWire
Change name to PowerBook Air

Gee's, you don't want much do you?
I don't think apple will do a complete overhaul on their macbook air to make you happy!

What i think, (here that, not what i want, what i think) Apple will have achieved on their 2nd Gen Macbook Air.
-120 GB Hard Drive
-13" and 15" Screen options, also matte option
-Thinner bezel around the edge of the screen
-2 USB ports and 1 firewire port
-2.0 GHz

(REMEMBER THAT THE MACBOOK AIR IS BUILT FOR THE WIRELESS WORLD, THAT'S HOW THEY WERE ABLE TO GET IT SO DAMM THIN, SO TRY TO UNDERSTAND IT DOSENT HAVE A DVD DRIVE FOR THAT VERY REASON!)

-Optional Blu-Ray DVD-Drive

What is PowerBook Air? That name is a decade old dude! Come on!
What's wrong with you?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
(REMEMBER THAT THE MACBOOK AIR IS BUILT FOR THE WIRELESS WORLD, THAT'S HOW THEY WERE ABLE TO GET IT SO DAMM THIN, SO TRY TO UNDERSTAND IT DOSENT HAVE A DVD DRIVE FOR THAT VERY REASON!)

Same reason why there won't be a second USB port or any FW ports.

Skip the 15" screen option. You are seriously smoking crack if you think that will happen.

Aron.G

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2008
Western Australia
Why? Describe in full detail why that is? Another USB port wouldn't take up much more space! 1 USB port is like 1/5 the size, even less then a DVD drive! And with technology these days, why wouldn't Apple be able to do that?

And i really don't think a bigger screen adds 1" thickness to a notebook? Macbook Pro??? Exactly the same thickness at 2.59 cm for the 15" and 17"

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
Why? Describe in full detail why that is? Another USB port wouldn't take up much more space! 1 USB port is like 1/5 the size, even less then a DVD drive! And with technology these days, why wouldn't Apple be able to do that?

And i really don't think a bigger screen adds 1" thickness to a notebook? Macbook Pro??? Exactly the same thickness at 2.59 cm for the 15" and 17"

They most likely won't add a USB or Firewire because it's much easier to keep the same case and just change out the processor and logic board within.

There won't be a 15" or 17" version because Apple clearly has decided that 13.3" is the form factor for the Air.

There won't be a 2.0GHz chip because that chip doesn't exist. The next chips in the Air will be 45nm and will most likely be the 1.6GHz SL9300 and the 1.86GHz SL9400 processors which use less power (increasing battery life) and create less heat (decreasing core shutdowns).

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

They most likely won't add a USB or Firewire because it's much easier to keep the same case and just change out the processor and logic board within.

There won't be a 15" or 17" version because Apple clearly has decided that 13.3" is the form factor for the Air.

There won't be a 2.0GHz chip because that chip doesn't exist. The next chips in the Air will be 45nm and will most likely be the 1.6GHz SL9300 and the 1.86GHz SL9400 processors which use less power (increasing battery life) and create less heat (decreasing core shutdowns).

Not to mention that the entire concept of the Air is to be Apple's version of the ultra-portable 3lbs. or less notebook. Making it 15" and 17" would be a horrible idea. Not to mention that Apple needs to make the 17" a little thicker but that's another story.

The extra USB and ports goes along the same route, it's supposed to be a WIRELESS book. The one USB is there just in case, and so you can use a super drive, for those other "just in case" moments.

And like Glitch44 says, expect just a more economical processor bump. And improvements in industrial design making the book more stable.... since it is a Rev A product, the Rev B should be a lot more stable.

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland
Not to mention that the entire concept of the Air is to be Apple's version of the ultra-portable 3lbs. or less notebook. Making it 15" and 17" would be a horrible idea. Not to mention that Apple needs to make the 17" a little thicker but that's another story.

I disagree. If it was physically possible to make 15" Air without increasing weight, I think it wouldn't be horrible at all. I'd likely it very much. And 17" MBP would be better of thicker because of heat dissipation issues, yes? So if Air's specs stayed the same as in 13", it should be less of a problem in 15" shell, shouldn't it?

Anyway, it isn't coming, and I'd be happy with 13" if they just updated the thing. No invites... however, some other news:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/07/eu-directive-aims-to-make-all-batteries-removable-even-that-bat/

I wish them luck with it. Though even if they win, it'd likely take five years or so (EU pace :)).

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

You're right. I wouldn't mind a thin 15" MBA book either. I really meant on the pro terms I guess. Being as Apple has brain washed me into thinking that a 15" notebook automatically means a professional machine.

I say the 15" or at least 17" (which everyone expects to be large anyway) could use another .1" on the thickness for more stuff under the hood. It actually doesn't have much heat issues, just the normal temp increase that I get with any book PC or Mac.

The 15" could use that extra thickness for its own heat issues though.

dvince2

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2007
Canada
What is your second generation Air wish list?

Here is mine. Apple are you listening?

Ten, Twelve, and Fifteen inch screen option
Silver or Black aluminum case option
Silver case with silver keys and Black case with black keys
Matte screen option
Thin bezel frame around screen
High Definition screen option
Blu-Ray disc option
Built in EVDO wireless
Stereo Speakers
FireWire
Change name to PowerBook Air

Good Lord! The MBP would be put to shame by that "Ultraportable"

Personally, I'd rather see a smaller footprint and slightly thicker, than more thin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.