Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
As I've gotten older and more involved with other aspects of my life, the prospect of spending any more time than absolutely necessary to maintain my computers really pains me. Many times I feel like I work more for my Windows machines than they do working for me. With Mac OS X, it's almost always the exact opposite.

This is exactly how I feel about the issue. I learned a lot about computers from trying to make windows 98 work properly. XP was much better, but the tweaking, the reinstalling every 6 months, etc. These are not things I want to do anymore.
I don't mind windows. I think there are some nice things about Vista, but it's just not my time to mess around with these things.
Still, OP, good read.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
This is exactly how I feel about the issue. I learned a lot about computers from trying to make windows 98 work properly. XP was much better, but the tweaking, the reinstalling every 6 months, etc. These are not things I want to do anymore.
I don't mind windows. I think there are some nice things about Vista, but it's just not my time to mess around with these things.
Still, OP, good read.

Thanks!

I wanted to touch on this point briefly because it is one of the most important factors and it has been brought up a few times.

I am a single, 22 year old who works IT, lives in an apartment, and hangs out with many computer-minded people. For me, tweaking and playing around with an OS is totally an option.

However, I understand that the demographic of this board spans from young to old. If I had a wife, kids, a house, etc., I would probably prefer a Mac, just because I get similar (note: not identical) performance and functionality with less messing around.

So this is, IMO, the best representation of this "debate" (for lack of a better word) - it's all about personal preference, your daily life, and your eagerness to tweak something that is largely unimportant in the long run. The fact that your position in life has a large bearing on what OS you prefer is a really interesting point that I had not considered during the formulation of this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.