Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Symondavis

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2018
Anyone know how to quickly navigate subscriptions? The old app was ace for this due to the large grid. This circle thing is so much slower to get through.

Or can I roll back the update?

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
And once again, Google shafts us with the fugly Material Design BS!!! If I wanted that garbage interface, I'd have gotten an Android smartphone or streamer box!!! FFS

And yet, when Apple designs it's apps for the Android platform, it's respectful enough to port their designs and use the platform's native UI/UX, and not force iOS UI/UX on Android. And most reputable app developers will make their apps use the UI/UX native to the target app platform.

Stop defending Google's arrogance, it's sickening.
Defending? I was just saying who made the app. The design is absolutely awful and doesn't belong on tvOS. It's like an app using a skeuomorphic icon on iOS 7. Doesn't look right.
[doublepost=1518078070][/doublepost]
Exactly. Its really out-of-date. Its cluttered, ugly, confusing and its so horribly optimised in terms of using the space on a large TV. When browsing for subscribed channels and videos you get limited to a view that shows you so few options that it becomes silly. On a 65-inch TV you can still only see about 4-5 channels and videos listed at once, while on the previous tvOS-app you could see about 3-4x the amount of channels and videos displayed at once. Browsing for content is just so bad on this YouTube.com/tv experience.

And the player and everything doesn't follow the UX-guidelines, not at all. And they seem to have removed the auto-switching display mode support? So the have actually removed essential tvOS 11.1 features in the new app? Why?
I really think the app should have been rejected for not following the HIG.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
that’s horrible

Agreed I HATE this UI redesign ... takes ALL the standard AppleTV navigational controls away. Nothing makes sense and to be honest I was hoping UI guidelines outlined by Apple would prevent such confusion. earlier last week there was another article on YouTube TV app being deployed and I had expressed concern if it would replace the standard app ... and was told "I think you misunderstand this particular app/service". I may have but my concern was well placed as we're not exeriencing.

YUCK Google, YUCK!
[doublepost=1518081272][/doublepost]
VP9 has been around longer than HEVC. Chromecast, Roku and Fire TV all support VP9, along with almost every 4K Smart TV. But sure, Google is being stubborn.

Google may/may not be 'stubborn' yet they are arragant forcing non google users to their UI assuming that they've registered to use their services. I personally only did so for a brief time to use Chrome, Gmail and the few Android phones I've tested under 30 days or less at any given time. I now only use a gmail account for Chrome bookmark/password synchronization. Once I migrate to FireFox (still disliking their browser layout) I maybe done with Google. Maybe.

Source: http://www.streamingmedia.com/Artic...s-x265-20-More-Efficient-than-VP9-113346.aspx

Netflix compared 5,000 clips from 500 titles in its library using the x264, x265, and libvpx codecs. x265's implementation of HEVC was the clear winner on quality and efficiency, but whether that matters in light of compatibility and licensing issues isn't so obvious.

Source (Contains many sources therein): https://www.quora.com/How-do-VP9-and-HEVC-h-265-compare

HEVC wins hands down in terms of pure performance (encoding efficiency & encoding time).
There are multiple papers concluding this
1. Performance comparison of H.265/MPEG-HEVC, VP9, and H.264/MPEG-AVC encoders
2. Page on m-hikari.com
3. Comparison of compression efficiency between HEVC/H.265 and VP9 based on subjective assessments
4. Coding efficiency comparison of new video coding standards: HEVC vs VP9 vs AVS2 video

The range of gains cited is usually in the 8-10% range. VP9, however is a royalty free standard. While HEVC needs to you pay the patent owners every time you buy an encoder or decoder.

So in the end - We have a free and pretty good standard in the form of VP9. But HEVC is definitely the more cutting edge (but costlier) alternative.

I just wish Instagram or some new service ... that can make monetization of original or migrated (from Youtube) content into a mobile friendly, platform agnostic web video service. Where if any ads are specific to the content being posted, viewed and shared by those that are of like interest so that ad-engagement is much more consumable. But ... change is hard.
[doublepost=1518081916][/doublepost]
While the vast majority of 4K content on YouTube is in VP9 which is not supported on Apple TV, the earliest 4K video was encoded in H.264 and that might play on the ATV4. I can watch it in 4K on macOS Safari, which also does not support VP9.

As with VP8, to obtain a VP9 license the requestor must grant a reciprocal license to Google, the Primary Licensors, and all other VP9 licensees (including those who become licensees afterwards) under any patents the requestor or their affiliates may own or control that are necessary for implementing VP9. Furthermore, in order to retain the license, the requestor may not sue any other VP9 licensor or licensee for infringement of any necessary VP9 patent claims based upon that entity's making, using, selling or offering for sale a VP9 product within the field of the license.

It is those clauses that are why Apple will not license VP9 to allow 4K YouTube content to play on ATV, iOS Safari and macOS Safari.

I only understood that last sentence of the paragraph and before getting to your last sentence afterward I had immediately thought, fitting. As it only benefits Google, not the original content creator. We (google) can make money off of your ideal, intellectual creativity and ideas, but you cannot sue us if we make more than you do elsewhere and you cannot claim ownership of that created content, nor sue if it's perverly used against your knowledge or consent.

Muzzakus

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
Well this abomination ain’t ever going to get rolled back, at time of writing on App Store it’s the #2 App with the following rating...

161 *****
49 ****
110 ***
36 **
85 *

It’s a hit ladies and gentlemen, and here to stay.

These loose design standards, RIP AppleTV. Sad days.

Shnuggles

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2018
Yet you still can't add videos to your favorites with this new update. It'e like Google and Apple have developed brain damage. They're all a bunch of idiots.

Booch21

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
My smart TV has this layout and I hate it! I was quite fine with the old interface. At least I could find things. This is not an upgrade.

robbysibrahim

macrumors regular
May 13, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Agreed. I was excited and then I had to submit similar feedback:

This tvOS app, like iOS has departed from standard Apple SDK elements making it not feel like the rest of our apps.

1. Scroll inertia is non-existent. Moving throughout the UI is very stiff and doesn't match the rest of tvOS/iOS movement.
2. Single-row side scrolling is a bad idea in tvOS. If I have to rigidly scroll through my dozens of subscriptions or watch history in a single, alphabetical row, I will probably never visit The Verge for example. It's not fair to me or the Channels.
3. Getting back to the side navigation bar is difficult especially if I'm at the end of a list. It's as if I must scroll all the way back to the 'A's before I can escape the row.
4. The player control and timeline isn't tvOS standard either.

The entire app veers from Apple core design elements and feels out of place.
Please add multiple rows, inertial navigation (and even the thing where the the alphabet shows up on the right when scrolling very fast) and make it easy to get to the side bar.

The old one was extremely barebones but fairly speedy - you had to go to an iPhone/iPad/computer to do the simplest of things, like liking/disliking a video or jumping from a video to the creator's channel page. I would literally watch something on the TV and then go to my YouTube watch history in Safari on my MBP to "like" a video.

This version adds most of the needed controls (I'm still not seeing "add to a playlist", or, say, a long-press in the recommended feed for choices like "watch later" and "not interested"). It also feels a bit janky on scrolling, particularly the side scrolling to select from the row of buttons shown when "more options" is chosen under a playing video. They added full video details (creator, date, views - using way more space than needed) under thumbnails and made the thumbnails bigger (frankly, they were big enough before), but this means substantially fewer thumbnails fit on the screen at once (horizontally and vertically), and now there's not-quite-two rows of thumbnails, rather than many - it's a bit like looking at everything through a telescope: you can see one thing very clearly, but have to do a lot of constant scrolling around to see "the world around you" (imagine you were working on a spreadsheet but the app insisted on displaying only 2 rows and 3 columns). Hulu made this same mistake in their redesign - too far in the "viewable from 50ft away" direction, sacrificing field of view, giving the user tunnel vision. It doesn't help that the YouTube app jump scrolls to always keep the top row at the top - makes it feel janky, and you lose the smooth change from one topic/row to another, contributing more to the feeling of loss of context.

In addition, they use the top row of the screen for: a continuously displayed "YouTube" name/logo, and a search bar. But the search bar takes you to a different screen (more loss of context), so they could have just as easily put the YouTube logo (sans name) and the magnifying glass (to get to the separate search page) in the top left corner of the home screen, and used the full vertical height for thumbnails, at least getting a complete two rows in.

They also "helpfully" turned autoplay back on for me, but this can be disabled in the app's settings screen.

I'm glad to have the increased functionality, but there's substantial room for improvement.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Why exactly? Whats wrong with the Netflix-app? It seems to be doing exactly what its supposed to do and compared to every other streaming service app it doesn't seem to offer a UX-design and experience that is any worse than it competitors? A update could possibly make sit worse.. Just like this new YouTube-app update..

Because the current one is awful? More than half of the screen is wasted and unusable. It shows, what, 4½ titles on the screen at one time? I'd gladly take the old interface on the old Apple TVs instead of this. Hell, I would rather have a text list that shows more at one time.

It's not quite the same abortion as the Hulu app, though...

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I was pretty much fine with the facelift until I went to look at subscriptions and they all have gigantic icons and you only see 3-4 on the page and having to scroll through them alphabetically, individually to get to a specific channel you want to see. The old way was much much much quicker for someone with dozens of subscriptions.

It also seems the newer versions is suggesting more older content or channels I don't watch much anymore as opposed to the ones I do. Sometimes you don't want to necessarily unsubscribe a channel but I don't want their content top front and center everyday when I watch them twice a week vs someone you watch 5 times a week.

Reactions: robbysibrahim

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
My girlfriend just came home and started the Apple TV and all I could hear was "WHAT THE F****.. WHY IS THE YOUTUBE APP THE SAME AS THE TV APP?! ITS RUINED"......

And here I thought I disliked it, she had many more complaints than me and she's been using it for like 30 minutes. One huge issue for us is ads, we now have in-video ads. We never had those previously. A 20 min video with three ads during the video, compared to a 5 sec video before the video in the previous app and the ads get displayed in a box in the middle of the TV so its complete intrusive.

With YouTube RED going nowhere outside a very limited selection of countries this whole deal with ads will make her stop watching YouTube, she was that frank. She'll just start watching series on Netflix or Amazon Prime instead, she doesn't want random ads popping up during video, ads with uneven volume levels...

Navigation is horrible. Her list with 50 ish subscribed channels is simply inaccessible with how you see only three channels due to these insanely large circle icons only displaying three channels in a single row.. It has to be the worst UX-design choice I have ever seen. In order to get to the last channel on the list she had to swipe for over one minute, its inexcusable.

Whats even worse is how bad the remote works. If you click/tap it goes so incredibly slow, and if you swipe its like the old remotes where it keeps going even after you stop swiping. It kept on going for like 10-15 seconds AFTER she had stopped swiping. Seriously?

Navigating during playback requires many more clicks and scrubbing is way worse. There is no automatic frame-rate switching or dynamic range switching. She can only see a row of three videos, THREE whereas previously we could see a grid of twelve. This really hampers her capability to discover new videos as she can't bother with endlessly scrolling in order to actually view content and it just gets worse with how bad the remote works so you don't really want to scroll to begin with.

It doesn't really include that many new features either? We can't seem to find any way to access comments, there is no way to add videos to watch later, we have lost shuffle and whatnot.

insomniac86

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2015
Perth, Western Australia
The old one was extremely barebones but fairly speedy - you had to go to an iPhone/iPad/computer to do the simplest of things, like liking/disliking a video or jumping from a video to the creator's channel page. I would literally watch something on the TV and then go to my YouTube watch history in Safari on my MBP to "like" a video.

This version adds most of the needed controls (I'm still not seeing "add to a playlist", or, say, a long-press in the recommended feed for choices like "watch later" and "not interested"). It also feels a bit janky on scrolling, particularly the side scrolling to select from the row of buttons shown when "more options" is chosen under a playing video. They added full video details (creator, date, views - using way more space than needed) under thumbnails and made the thumbnails bigger (frankly, they were big enough before), but this means substantially fewer thumbnails fit on the screen at once (horizontally and vertically), and now there's not-quite-two rows of thumbnails, rather than many - it's a bit like looking at everything through a telescope: you can see one thing very clearly, but have to do a lot of constant scrolling around to see "the world around you" (imagine you were working on a spreadsheet but the app insisted on displaying only 2 rows and 3 columns). Hulu made this same mistake in their redesign - too far in the "viewable from 50ft away" direction, sacrificing field of view, giving the user tunnel vision. It doesn't help that the YouTube app jump scrolls to always keep the top row at the top - makes it feel janky, and you lose the smooth change from one topic/row to another, contributing more to the feeling of loss of context.

In addition, they use the top row of the screen for: a continuously displayed "YouTube" name/logo, and a search bar. But the search bar takes you to a different screen (more loss of context), so they could have just as easily put the YouTube logo (sans name) and the magnifying glass (to get to the separate search page) in the top left corner of the home screen, and used the full vertical height for thumbnails, at least getting a complete two rows in.

They also "helpfully" turned autoplay back on for me, but this can be disabled in the app's settings screen.

I'm glad to have the increased functionality, but there's substantial room for improvement.

Great comment, so much logic and fairness.

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
How come this is even allowed on the store? It's not really a app, its a wrapper for YouTube.com/TV. According to people its the exact same thing that's being used on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Roku, Amazon Fire, WebOS, Tizen, Android TV etc.. And those don't get updated directly, updates are deliver by Google updating the HTML5-webpage that is YouTube.com/TV.

So its basically a wrapper for their YouTube TV HTML-app. I'm certain that Apple don't allow wrappers to be disguised as apps on the iOS and macOS AppStore's. I'm not entire sure on the guidelines for tvOS, but I find it hard to believe that Apple's guidelines are that different for tvOS?

Apple has been striking hard on this for iOS lately where they don't even allow reuse of commonly available UX-packages. They want apps to be unique and for developers to not be lazy. Well, where are you now Apple? It can't get much lazier than this.

Its 100% the HTML-app without any modifications or optimisation for tvOS. The Siri Remote even have to emulate clicks instead of actually supporting the tvOS swiping and acceleration.

allenmf

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2018
STEM engineers?

You know, those people that buy smartphones based on the speed of the processor alone. They're STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) types. And likely have a proclivity for computer engineering. Thus "STEM engineers." They've little to no mind for design or functionality. Just 1s and 0s.

Sanlitun

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
So you can only left swipe to go through subscriptions in alphabetical order? If you want to go to that last in the list you have to swipe through them all?

There are so many design issues with this app it is now almost unusable with the Apple remote.

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2016
I’m leaving my review here:

“What the hell? Seriously, who designed this? Who validated the UX of this app? If you are developing an app for millions, make sure whoever designs it actually lives and breathes the platform that it’s targeting. Learn to leverage the platforms capabilities.. and for god sake, use it first to understand what feels natural to the user! I’m pretty sure I’ll just airplay to my Apple TV, from now on, just to prevent me from using the Apple TV app... crap.”

It’s that bad.

Edit: as an iOS designer and developer I try to refrain myself from leaving such harsh, non-constructive reviews, but again, this app is absolute crap.

Oh, and I just uninstalled the app...

Last edited:

Muzzakus

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
Us talking here is not going to do much good. Can anybody outline the process of making an official complaint to Apple and google on this? Because I will follow it to a tee.

This has absolutely destroyed YouTube on the atv and subsequently devalued atv itself as a platform for allowing this on there. Surely this will open the floodgates to lazy android ports down the line.
[doublepost=1518133339][/doublepost]
I’m leaving my review here:

“What the hell? Seriously, who designed this? Who validated the UX of this app? If you are developing an app for millions, make sure whoever designs it actually lives and breathes the platform that it’s targeting. Learn to leverage the platforms capabilities.. and for god sake, use it first to understand what feels natural to the user! I’m pretty sure I’ll just airplay to my Apple TV, from now on, just to prevent me from using the Apple TV app... crap.”

It’s that bad.

Edit: as an iOS designer and developer I try to refrain myself from leaving such harsh, non-constructive reviews, but again, this app is absolute crap.

Oh, and I just uninstalled the app...

How do you write a review for a TV app?
[doublepost=1518133556][/doublepost]
So you can only left swipe to go through subscriptions in alphabetical order? If you want to go to that last in the list you have to swipe through them all?

There are so many design issues with this app it is now almost unusable with the Apple remote.

And even funnier, you get to the end of the list, click into your channel, back out and boom you’re at the beginning of the scroll list. Lol, it’s so bad it’s laughable.

[doublepost=1518136232][/doublepost]

UPDATE:

Official feedback form....

https://www.youtube.com/appletv/feedback

Please take the time to report incongruous UI, lack of inertia scroll, difficult navigation, difficult access to subscriber channels with single horizontal scroll.

Official Product forum...post your comments

https://productforums.google.com/fo...tegory$3Asmart-tvs|sort:relevance|spell:false

Last edited:

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
This was long overdue. When I saw the new YT logo when I fired up my ATV last night, I knew they had finally brought the YT that has been available on nearly every other device for a while now. It makes the ATV4 more complete now. I would still use the PS4 for YT for the better experience. Now I don’t have to fire up a much more energy hungry device when I’m not playing games.

It was such a pain using the outdated crap that the previous version was. Extremely limited results, more difficult to get to all of a channel’s videos, etc. I understand others’ frustrations with the lack of 4K but my 1080p set is still great and I could care less about 4K until my current TV dies. Until broadcasts are native 4K and TVs with ATSC 3.0 tuners are available in the U.S., it just isn’t necessary. I’m certainly not going to waste money buying lots of UHD Blu Rays the way I did when Blu Ray first launched.

Reactions: saudade

saudade

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2015
I love the new app. Looks gre8 on my 65 ‘ televisión. Yes, i have one and its SONY. my famale dont get how 2 use the new application lol she said its too confusing and that’s hard 2 find a channel u already subscribed before. I only play hiphop flicks so i don’t care problem is i wanna c 4k but why won’t work?? I have a 65 pulgadas tv SONY that i bought s friend from my barrio days ago. Funny thing is i bought it without the remote control cause its lost i mean i don’t know where my friend found this tv but it pretty new and big n only costed me 200 bucks. So i use it with el appletv all the time. New yt app is okay 2 me. Nice work apple

Last edited:

mpdjhb

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2018

The YouTube app for the Apple TV received a complete design overhaul today, introducing a new interface that's similar in design to the YouTube app for iOS, YouTube on the desktop, and the YouTube app for other television platforms.

appletvyoutuberevamp-800x498.jpg

Rather than a single navigation bar at the top that links to sections like Search, Home, and Subscriptions, there's a new universal search bar that's easier to access along with dedicated categories like Recommended, Entertainment, Food, Music, Gaming, Technology, Comedy, and more, which makes it easier to find new content relevant to your interests.

youtuberecommendedinterface-800x469.jpg

A navigation bar on the left side of the screen provides access to your subscriptions, library, and viewing history, and there's a new, more detailed settings section.

youtubeappletvsidebar-800x469.jpg

While today's update lists 4K videos as "4K" in the video app, it does not appear that YouTube is supporting 4K content on the Apple TV at this time. When viewing details about a video, maximum available resolution is still listed as 1920 x 1080.

youtubeappletvplaybackstats-800x469.jpg

Today's revamped YouTube Apple TV app comes just a few days after YouTube officially introduced its separate YouTube TV app for the Apple TV, allowing YouTube TV subscribers to access live content.

The new YouTube app for Apple TV is available now, and it can be installed by going to the YouTube app in the App Store and choosing "update" if it does not update automatically.

Article Link: YouTube App for Apple TV Receives Major Redesign

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
This was long overdue. When I saw the new YT logo when I fired up my ATV last night, I knew they had finally brought the YT that has been available on nearly every other device for a while now. It makes the ATV4 more complete now. I would still use the PS4 for YT for the better experience. Now I don’t have to fire up a much more energy hungry device when I’m not playing games.

It was such a pain using the outdated crap that the previous version was. Extremely limited results, more difficult to get to all of a channel’s videos, etc. I understand others’ frustrations with the lack of 4K but my 1080p set is still great and I could care less about 4K until my current TV dies. Until broadcasts are native 4K and TVs with ATSC 3.0 tuners are available in the U.S., it just isn’t necessary. I’m certainly not going to waste money buying lots of UHD Blu Rays the way I did when Blu Ray first launched.

I love the new app. Looks gre8 on my 65 ‘ televisión. Yes, i have one and its SONY. my famale dont get how 2 use the new application lol she said its too confusing and that’s hard 2 find a channel u already subscribed before. I only play hiphop flicks so i don’t care problem is i wanna c 4k but why won’t work?? I have a 65 pulgadas tv SONY that i bought s friend from my barrio days ago. Funny thing is i bought it without the remote control cause its lost i mean i don’t know where my friend found this tv but it pretty new and big n only costed me 200 bucks. So i use it with el appletv all the time. New yt app is okay 2 me. Nice work apple

Other than the UX being way overblown so you have so few videos, subscribed channels and whatnot displayed at once and it not following any kind of tvOS guidelines or logic its not the biggest problem. Icons, thumbnails and everything is just so stupidly large for no apparent reason. It feels so cluttered. The lack of 4K isn't really the problem here, but considering Google changed to their own video-player its somewhat awkward for them to not included embedded support for VP9 and they even mislead users by marking videos as 4K? Just goes to show that its a wrapper for YouTube.com/TV without any kind of optimisation towards the platform at all.

The problem is the fact that the app is not a native tvOS-app anymore. Its just a wrapper for Google's YouTube HTML-app. Its no longer a local app running on the Apple TV, you can verify this by going into settings and you can see that the app now features its very own version number being maintained and updated through the HTML-app and not the app itself. Its the exact same as on Sony PlayStation, Microsoft Xbox, LG WebOS etc..

This is such a lazy approach, and something Apple doesn't allow on the AppStore for iOS and macOS so I'm wondering if they are even within the rules of tvOS or if the update is simply breaking the rules?

Sure I can live with the UX-change and everything. But the problem with "one-web-app-fits-all" like this is that you get ZERO platform specific optimisation. Which is clearly demonstrated by this new app as we no longer have support for the Siri Remote, its just emulating clicks and not actually supporting the Siri Remote's touchpad and it behaves, feel and navigates horribly in comparison with the previous version that actually integrated with tvOS specific API's.

Same goes for the video-player, its now using Google's own YouTube HTML-player instead of the native tvOS-player. What does this mean? No more intuitive swipe scrubbing, no more support for automatic frame rate and dynamic range switcing etc which we had previously. We have lost ALL tvOS specific features and they won't come back.

It even breaks Apple rules for ads, as its now just a window for YouTube.com/TV Google is capable of displaying ads in whatever way they see fit. So instead of being limited to the one ad before playback like they are on tvOS they have now filled videos with ads before playback, during playback and everything and its the worst kind of ads, its the most intrusive kind which pop-ups out of nowhere right in the middle of the screen with uneven audio levels so some ads have way higher volume levels compared to the video.. Its horrible and something Apple has never allowed developers to do before.

How does such a inferior experience make the Apple TV more complete? Sure the previous version was really lacklustre and lacked a lot of YouTube features. But at least it was somewhat optimised for the platform and behaved like one would expect a tvOS-app to work. This is just hot garbage in comparison.

And what features did it really bring? We still don't have access to comments, we still lack the capability of adding videos to playlists and watch-later. The only thing we got besides loosing shuffle, loosing automatic frame rate and dynamic range switching, loosing any kind of Siri Remote integration etc.. Is the capability of like/dislike and see and click embedded links in videos. That's pretty much it.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
You know, those people that buy smartphones based on the speed of the processor alone. They're STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) types. And likely have a proclivity for computer engineering. Thus "STEM engineers." They've little to no mind for design or functionality. Just 1s and 0s.
Pretty broad brush you got there.

blacker-s

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2011
This version adds most of the needed controls...

They added full video details (creator, date, views - using way more space than needed) under thumbnails and made the thumbnails bigger (frankly, they were big enough before), but this means substantially fewer thumbnails fit on the screen at once (horizontally and vertically), and now there's not-quite-two rows of thumbnails, rather than many - it's a bit like looking at everything through a telescope: you can see one thing very clearly, but have to do a lot of constant scrolling around to see "the world around you" (imagine you were working on a spreadsheet but the app insisted on displaying only 2 rows and 3 columns).

Agreed. And the control of the touch pad on the remote, is way too sensitive in this app. Too much one way and you’re flipping to the next video or scrolling through the current video. You’ve got to learn a new way of controlling the touch pad. You cant rest your thumb on it, because a micro movement will activate some new control.

Secondly, the video details?!? WTF. The larger thumbnails surrounded by huges swathes of grey?
They’ve duplicated the subscription channel name in the details even though it’s listed above the thumbnails in the row. Plus the text is incredibly small and grey on grey - sitting across the room watching my TV I’m having to guess what the videos are about. Ok exaggeration but they are not at all clear. Pass the telescope when you’ve finished Carl. They list whether videos are HD and yet have geeks switch this could be linked to. The also have a switch which improves contrast that only changes the background from grey to black. Nothing else changes. Still teeny tiny text grey on grey. Video details actually needed: Title, length, viewed, liked. that’s it. Everything else can be in geek button. Old app had text for the videos scrolling within a fixed title box under video thumbnail, why not do this?

Finally, scrolling around looking. Jesus?!? Whose idea was it to put all your subscriptions into one long row. If you have more than say 10 subscriptions you’re going to spend a huge amount of time swiping right to get to any of the letters for subscriptions in the XYZ range. And RSI on my thumb is huge. The Apple remote touchpad allows for accelerated swiping. Not in this app. There is no force feedback at all, the quickest scroll speed is the slowest, so it’s not as if you could get to xyz by one big swipe. No, Google prefers a million slow swipes. And God forbid if you change view and leave subscriptions then come back in, because you’re right back at abc...

This app maybe an update, but it is a retrograde step in so many ways... tut tut.

Reactions: coopmike
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.