Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

YouTube for iOS and Android is being updated with a new homepage starting today, replacing the small thumbnails that offered up recommended videos with a single in-line content stream that serves up ranked recommended videos based on an improved algorithm.

youtuberedesign.jpg
Whether you want to watch hilarious sketch comedy, your favorite vlogger, new let's plays, or music videos, you should be able to see new videos you love every time you visit YouTube--right on your homepage. Starting today, when you open the YouTube app on your iPhone or Android phone, you'll experience a redesigned Home, with a clean and simple format that invites you to discover and enjoy.
With the single stream, video previews on the home screen are larger and easier to scroll through to find interesting content, much like the trending videos displayed in the Trending tab. The new algorithm, which is based on deep neural network technology, is able to refresh videos on a more frequent basis so content displayed is kept up to date and it's able to present content that's more relevant to each user's tastes.

According to YouTube, people who have tested the new system spend more time watching fresh videos and content from their Subscriptions.

YouTube can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: YouTube for iOS Gains Revamped Homepage With Better Recommendations

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
If they would finally get rid of that HUUUUGE top bar, I'd be happy. I mean, it's really

97v24x.jpg

Really, this seems like an issue with most Android apps: they're not optimized to take advantage of the bigger displays. That's a shame. And I haven't talked about lack of some core features that are missing. Like Picture-in-Picture on the iPad, or the ability to play audio when moving away from the app...

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Since I don't have an account, I am presented with damn ugly and stupid videos from "famous" Youtubers from here. Question, how the hell does it know my location? I don't remember being asked.
The site can make some educated guesses about your location based on your IP.

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

Innise

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
I'm guessing the lack of PiP is a business decision from Google.

They don't want you watching a youtube video while in another app. They want to keep you in the app, looking for related videos and therefor triggering more ads.

MattXDA

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2014
UK
My app has looked like this for months unless I'm missing something. Could someone post what theirs looks like before this update?

Reactions: Mad Mac Maniac

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
The site can make some educated guesses about your location based on your IP.
I thought so, and there's no way to change that even though my settings are set to Worldwide content. I hate this.

infiniteentropy

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
Tough to use this app at length without PiP. So annoying. YouTube, we want to do other stuff while watching your videos. Personally, I just went with another app that allows such behavior and the YouTube app remains uninstalled.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
I thought so, and there's no way to change that even though my settings are set to Worldwide content. I hate this.

Google is doing the exact same thing when automatically directing you to .com/.de/.fr or whatever, maye you just never realized it.

And what drives me nuts is, more and more sites are jumping on board.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Tough to use this app at length without PiP. So annoying. YouTube, we want to do other stuff while watching your videos. Personally, I just went with another app that allows such behavior and the YouTube app remains uninstalled.

Just use the website set to desktop. You'll get an annoying message telling you to switch to mobile, but at least you'll get PiP.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
I use DuckDuckGo for my searches, YouTube is the only Google service I have to use, but yes, that redirecting sucks.

DuckDuckGo is one of my choices. But whenever searching something not so easy to find or really important stuff what so ever, I still cross check the results on Google. Yet the results are better over there, but DuckDuckGo for sure is improving.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
for as popular as youtube is and big and powerful google is, why can't they get a user experience for this thing right. the "new and improved" is still clunky and as ugly as the previous. pie in the sky and will never happen, but really wish apple had acquired youtube back in the day.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
Still using Material layout. Come on Google, use iOS styling on iOS. Just like Apple uses Android styling on Android.

ike1707

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
I finally deleted my YouTube app months ago. Never liked it, and I don't need an app to use YouTube. I actually much prefer that I don't have to leave my browser everytime I want to watch an unembedded youtube video.

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
Why can't they implement background playback and picture-in-picture? That's two essential features the app has been lacking for way too long now. Picture-in-picture is a rather "new" feature in iOS, but the lack of background playback is getting beyond stupid at this point.

I'm listening to ASMR videos when I go to bed and I either have to have the video playing draining my battery and lighting up my bedroom or simply use another app like ProTube. Or I could force Safari to playback using YouTube.com but that's just silly. Why can't a company like Google implement such basic and essential features to such an important app???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.