Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
A couple semi-unrelated thoughts:

1. YouTube is already a pretty hard service to use when you have kids, as the ads are relatively random. Even if those are okay, you still get to see totally random “suggested” video previews at the end of a video that are quite often non as kid-friendly as what you just watched. Maybe you can work around this on the browser, but we can’t on our Smart TV app. We just have stopped using the service.

2. I heard an interesting discussion once on NOT watching music videos, as it hampers that song’s ability to associate it with unique memories of your own. The idea is our brains make a strong connection between what it sees and hears, especially with music. Music videos are usually so visually powerful that any “good-time memories” can’t really compete. As a consequence, it can remove much of the nostalgic value of the song itself.

robertcoogan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Joshua Tree, California
There is a way around this. It's a bit of a pain, but it works. Download playlists (I use Airy or Aimersoft). Then you can listen to what you've downloaded, ad-free. I delete the playlists later, usually after a couple of days to a week. By then I've decided what I'm going to buy from that list on iTunes or Amazon.

I have noticed that some of the ads are over 3 minutes long. That is what drove me to this "solution."

WordsmithMR

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2015
Murica
“There’s a lot more people in our funnel that we can frustrate…”

What an incredibly user-hostile thing to say, but it shouldn’t be surprising coming from an Alphabet/Google owned company.
Literally the same mindset that Apple and all tech companies are having these past few years. That's why it isn't suprising .

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
Then what are the complaints ?

Do people expect to enjoy the content the way they want it without paying ?
Yes, they 100% do, and that's the problem. I have had Youtube Red for about a year now. I watch a lot of tech Youtube content, and we use Google Play Music. I have had moments where I thought about cancelling, but it does help out the content producers quite a bit. $9/mo for something that provides me FAR more enjoyment than Netflix seems like a good deal to me, and the streaming music is an added benefit.

So many people in the world today want to consume content, with no benefit to the person creating it. You can tell by the number of people who mention "ADBLOCK!!11" as soon as these articles hit. We get it - you think Google doesn't deserve the money. Think of the people who make a living creating this content for you to consume.

(Not an attack on the person I quoted, I am pretty sure we are on the same side here :) )

Reactions: YaBoiD and burgman

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I wonder if this is just mainstream artists or would include kids music like Little Baby Bum and LooLoo Kids. If they start adding tons more ads to that then I’ll have to take some reactionary measures to reduce it. They certainly do plenty already for these and don’t need to do more.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Who uses YouTube as if it were the original MTV, anyway?! This is ludicrous. With this kind of idiotic thinking, Google may as well just have an ads-only service... see how that works out.
Lots of people younger than you.

ozute

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2012

YouTube will soon place more advertisements in between music videos for some users, in an attempt to "smoke out" anyone who treats YouTube like a free music video playlist service and convince them to pay for its upcoming subscription music service (via Bloomberg). YouTube's unnamed service is described as a "necessary counterweight" to Apple Music and Spotify, and was last rumored to be launching this month.

youtube_logo_2017.jpg

The news came from a recent SXSW interview with YouTube's global head of music, Lyor Cohen, who went so far as to say that the company is trying to "frustrate" free YouTube users so that they're subsequently "seduced" into paying for a monthly subscription. The new service will include exclusive videos, music playlists, and more, all aimed at "die-hard music fans."
Cohen said that YouTube is trying to "be good partners" with the music industry, while also hoping to silence any rumors about the company's alleged harm to the industry and its artists. Over the years, some people have criticized YouTube for copyright violations in videos and underpaying artists and record companies. According to Cohen, this "noise" will end once the subscription service debuts.

A date for that launch has still not been given, but "thousands" of Google employees are said to be testing it right now.

Article Link: YouTube Increasing Ads Between Music Videos So More Users Pay for Upcoming Streaming Service
[doublepost=1521643971][/doublepost]What a ridiculous stupid statement, to say that they will frustrate more users into subscription seduction. Seduction requires an attraction, not frustration! Goodbye YouTube.

Reactions: tonyr6 and Marekul

rjtyork

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
I’d really love some kind of ad blocker for Apple TV. Not only do I get ads before and during most of the stuff I watch, but the ads bug out and freeze up my Apple TV. I hate ads so much

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
So is this upcoming subscription service the same as YouTube Red or will this be an additional add-on on top of YouTube Red?

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Has someone done a study on how much on average a user spends on their cellular data plan on watching ads? And how much energy is lost being forced in watching ads.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Wait, what? Are you saying that during the play of a music video, the video pauses, an ad plays, and then the rest of the video resumes? I've never heard of that before.
Maybe they are talking about the "music videos" that are whole albums of music (or 8 hours of X). I've also never seen an ad in the middle of a music video.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
I’d really love some kind of ad blocker for Apple TV. Not only do I get ads before and during most of the stuff I watch, but the ads bug out and freeze up my Apple TV. I hate ads so much
What are you watching that gives you ads during it? I haven't seen ads in the middle of anything on YouTube but maybe it's because I only watch things < 20 minutes.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
YouTube is hoping to get more money out of people by pissing them off.

That’s not how this works, YouTube. When a company “frustrates” me, I usually respond by not giving them money until the issue is resolved.
[doublepost=1521648567][/doublepost]
If you’re really serious about it, there are some network-level solutions that you can implement which would handle that for YouTube and other sites once and for all. (That is, any attempted connections to ad networks would fail.)

Foggydog

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2014
Left Coast
YouTube as other made a HUGE mistake when they first started.... YouTube touted themselves as free and always would be. And everyone used it just like they advertised. But of course if it doesn’t make money they can’t stay in business. People have uploaded video from every country in the world and music.
And as most, I too have enjoyed watching videos for free for at least 11 years now. I wouldn’t be terribly upset about paying for a monthly service, but as soon as you start, every year the price goes up, and the service goes down.
As a trucker I paid 10.99 a month for serious satellite 11 years ago. But by 2016 they were charging 17.00 a month which totally sucked. So now I just flip from station to station across the country. I have really thought about Apple Music, but it’s internet based and not satellite so my data will go through the roof.

Reactions: tonyr6

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
What are you watching that gives you ads during it? I haven't seen ads in the middle of anything on YouTube but maybe it's because I only watch things < 20 minutes.

That could be depending on the content that you’re watching. But if you subscribe to any channels on YouTube that have a volume of subscribers and or a regular viewed channels on YouTube, there are frequently advertisements in the middle, usually for five seconds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.