Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In recent days, some Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD users have been receiving a "something went wrong" error message when attempting to load videos using the YouTube app on tvOS. The issue does not appear to be widespread, and it seems to arise only when a user is signed into their YouTube account on the Apple TV.

youtube-tvos-app.jpg

YouTube has confirmed on Twitter that it is investigating the issue and working on a fix, but in the meantime, some users in the Apple Support Communities have found success with a workaround that involves deleting and reinstalling the YouTube app on the Apple TV and then signing in with the "using my phone" option.

YouTube has not provided a timeframe for when the issue will be resolved.

Article Link: YouTube Investigating Issue With 'Something Went Wrong' Error in Apple TV App

ph001bi

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
London
I always get this error on my Mac. I now use Opera to access Youtube. I've given up waiting for an update. The problem is clearly on Apple's side and has been going on for months.

Reactions: SqlInjection

Blu-ray1972

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2013
Odd. I was signed in and using my YouTube app quite a bit this weekend and never had an issue.

iBluetooth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2016
Why does Google insist on creating their own user interface for the Youtube app. The old app was much better and followed Apple's guidelines. This, one is horrible for scrolling through long list of my subscriptions and no way to select individual videos from playlists.

AmazeSE

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2017
The YouTube app does not work properly both on my iPhone and iPad. Sometimes the videos in the home screen does not load and suddenly while watching videos it would say that I am offline. But there is a temporary easy fix. Turning off and turning on WiFi fixes it. But this happens ever single day. Any ideas why this happens?

iFan

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007
I have this issue on my Mac in Safari - switch to Chrome and the issue goes away. Been happening for a few months now.

hagar

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
The YouTube app does not work properly both on my iPhone and iPad. Sometimes the videos in the home screen does not load and suddenly while watching videos it would say that I am offline. But there is a temporary easy fix. Turning off and turning on WiFi fixes it. But this happens ever single day. Any ideas why this happens?
You can also consider deleting the app. I access YT directly in Safari. By adding a shortcut to the homepage, I barely notice the difference And I now have Picture in Picture and zero ads.

mjs916

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento, CA
I’m assuming that by turning WiFi off and on again you mean on the device, not at the router?

I’d try checking the software of the devices for updates, check for app updates and if those are up to date or the problem exists across multiple updates, unplug your router and modem for 30 secs for good measure to clear the DNS cache.

You could even start with the router reboot if you want since two separate devices seem to have the same issue.

Reactions: AmazeSE

mjs916

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento, CA
You can also consider deleting the app. I access YT directly in Safari. By adding a shortcut to the homepage, I barely notice the difference And I now have Picture in Picture and zero ads.
How are you managing to get PIP and no ads?
Even in the browser my PIP closes when I try to go to another screen.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
In recent days, some Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD users have been receiving a "something went wrong" error message when attempting to load videos using the YouTube app on tvOS.
Just imagine if companies still provided descriptive error messages which would indicate whether this was an error on the user’s end, the system’s, or the service’s.

Reactions: Blowback and mjs916

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
How are you managing to get PIP and no ads?
Even in the browser my PIP closes when I try to go to another screen.
That’s...on purpose. When you navigate away from a page that is playing a video in picture-in-picture, the video will go away. Tabs exempt, of course.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Yeah, I've seen this a few times.

Maybe – and I know this is crazy talk – they could properly update the Apple TV app and give it feature parity with pretty much any other YouTube app on any other platform. Even the app on my LG TV is a lot better than the one on the Apple TV.

Reactions: Deliro and mjs916

mjs916

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento, CA
Just imagine if companies still provided descriptive error messages which would indicate whether this was an error on the user’s end, the system’s, or the service’s.
There doesn’t seem to be a brave soul among any of these major companies willing to provide descriptive errors or change logs. HIGHLY annoying and frustrating.

mjs916

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento, CA
That’s...on purpose. When you navigate away from a page that is playing a video in picture-in-picture, the video will go away. Tabs exempt, of course.
I should clarify I meant to my iPhone’s Home Screen. PIP is supposed to allow me to say, write a text message while still allowing video to run. YouTube seems to specifically block this function unless you pay them. I cancelled my trial and the functionality went away but it works on other sites.

Reactions: jonblatho

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I always get this error on my Mac. I now use Opera to access Youtube. I've given up waiting for an update. The problem is clearly on Apple's side and has been going on for months.

It's not on Apples side. That's not how things work. All Apple devices worked just fine, only Apple TV and it wasn't after some update, it just stopped working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.