Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The YouTube iOS app today was updated to version 12.38, bringing a swipe-to-remove gesture for videos in playlists, as well as introducing support for iMessage. After updating the app you should see YouTube appear as a new icon in your Messages app drawer, and after tapping on it you can scroll to view your recently-watched videos, search YouTube for a specific video, and tap to send it to a friend.

imessage-youtube-app.jpg

After sharing the video, YouTube links work the same as they did before, with the ability to watch the videos directly within Messages without having to leave the app, but there is a new player for content sent through the Messages app. You can tap on a video and it will open up into a full-screen player with playback controls, a watch later button, recommended videos, and an "open app" button to jump directly to YouTube.

Prior to today's update, to share a YouTube video in Messages you had to find it in the YouTube app, tap the share button, choose Messages, and then type in a contact. You could also copy the video link and paste it into the text message field within Messages.

Check out our guide on iOS 11's Messages app drawer redesign if you aren't familiar with navigating the updated section of Apple's texting app.

Article Link: YouTube iOS App Updated With iMessage Support for Easily Sharing Videos

earthTOmitchel

Contributing Editor
Staff member
Mar 6, 2015
Louisiana
This is nice, wish more people used iMessage and less WhatsApp.
It's cool and super useful, but I'm actually finding the new player a step back from the one you get when you just copy/paste a YT link into Messages. There are more options for YouTube stuff, but it's not as clean looking.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
I must be the only person who turned off all of the iMessage features. Stickers, App Extensions and Emoji. I just need a plain text communication medium that is short-hand to email.

I'd like to disable the auto-preview of shared links as well but I can't figure out how.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I must be the only person who turned off all of the iMessage features. Stickers, App Extensions and Emoji. I just need a plain text communication medium that is short-hand to email.

I'd like to disable the auto-preview of shared links as well but I can't figure out how.
You got a point there... iMessage is suddenly flooded with extensions from apps I had downloaded in the past.
Some may be useful or not, I just don't have the time to try each one of them.

Also, the YouTube app lacks many of the features originally introduced, features that now you'll need to pay for by getting a YouTube Red subscription.
I'll stick with third-party players instead.

Codpeace

macrumors regular
May 13, 2011
NYC
So this is good — something I’ll definitely use. IF I’m not overwhelmed with YouTube ads. I’ll often use a browser just to avoid them.

I must be the only person who turned off all of the iMessage features. ... I'd like to disable the auto-preview of shared links as well but I can't figure out how.

I hear you! But, oddly for me, I like a lot of what’s been done with Messages. I just use the heck out of it. Your last comment about auto-preview I totally agree with. I hate that (mostly; it is somewhat reassuring to see the link is actually working). There is something you can click to stop it but it might just be in macOS. Maybe someone here can give a quick primer on how to disable it...?

Nothlit

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
Have they fixed the problem with the audio being slightly (but noticeably) out of sync with the video when using AirPods with the YouTube app? This was not a problem until sometime in July or August when all of a sudden it became a constant problem. It does not happen in Netflix, Hulu, Safari, or any other video playing app I've tried - just YouTube. I tried resetting my AirPods, and even went so far as to reset my iPad, none of which helped.

dominiongamma

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2014
Phoenix. AZ
Have they fixed the problem with the audio being slightly (but noticeably) out of sync with the video when using AirPods with the YouTube app? This was not a problem until sometime in July or August when all of a sudden it became a constant problem. It does not happen in Netflix, Hulu, Safari, or any other video playing app I've tried - just YouTube. I tried resetting my AirPods, and even went so far as to reset my iPad, none of which helped.
Never had an issue with YouTube or AirPods. Works perfectly for me

SoundJudgment

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2017
If Apple would get off their high-horse and simply allow Google's VP9 Codec usage natively in iOS and Safari... there would be less complications in YouTube support.

Reactions: Glassed Silver

Nothlit

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
Never had an issue with YouTube or AirPods. Works perfectly for me

It can be hard to notice with just spoken voices, but anything percussive (hammers, drums, knocking, doors slamming, etc.) you can tell. The audio is late. There are also lots of helpful sync test (click track) videos on YouTube. I have played several of them in the app and also in Safari. In the app, sync is off by 100-200 milliseconds. In Safari on the YouTube web site, exact same video, sync is fine. Clearly the issue is with the YouTube app.

Reactions: bob122989

bob122989

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2007
Hopefully this update fixes the glitchy video playback introduced after I installed iOS 11 on my 6s. It happens at the beginning of a video and causes the sound to go out of sync. Restarting the video from the menu fixes it. So annoying.

thebeans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2009

The YouTube iOS app today was updated to version 12.38, bringing a swipe-to-remove gesture for videos in playlists, as well as introducing support for iMessage. After updating the app you should see YouTube appear as a new icon in your Messages app drawer, and after tapping on it you can scroll to view your recently-watched videos, search YouTube for a specific video, and tap to send it to a friend.

imessage-youtube-app.jpg

After sharing the video, YouTube links work the same as they did before, with the ability to watch the videos directly within Messages without having to leave the app, but there is a new player for content sent through the Messages app. You can tap on a video and it will open up into a full-screen player with playback controls, a watch later button, recommended videos, and an "open app" button to jump directly to YouTube.

Prior to today's update, to share a YouTube video in Messages you had to find it in the YouTube app, tap the share button, choose Messages, and then type in a contact. You could also copy the video link and paste it into the text message field within Messages.

Check out our guide on iOS 11's Messages app drawer redesign if you aren't familiar with navigating the updated section of Apple's texting app.

Article Link: YouTube iOS App Updated With iMessage Support for Easily Sharing Videos
Is YouTube still a thing???

mfvisuals

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
SacTown, CA
So they're adding these features, but still forcing a paywall for trivial features such as being able to play the audio from videos in the background when switching to other apps. I understand that a lot of people use that feature to listen to music through the app. However, for those of us who like to listen to news shows and be able to switch to other apps while listening, this is incredibly annoying.

Reactions: Nothlit

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
2 features I’d like to see, or maybe just need to look up how to use, are:

1. Sort by language. I only understand English
  2. Give us add to queue feature like how it is on Chromecast or fire stick. Not watch later.
  3. PIP on phones. Will probably never happen but I’d probably the only reason I’d ever stop jail break a phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.