Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google is updating its YouTube Kids app for iOS devices today to introduce profiles and a dynamic app design that changes based on a child's age.

With kid profiles, each child who uses the YouTube Kids app on an iOS device can have their own profile, which allows for the custom design feature. When entering a date of birth, the YouTube Kids app will adapt the look of the app to be age appropriate.

youtubekids-800x528.jpg

Younger children will see less text when using the app, while older children will see additional content on their home screens. Kids can also set their own secret passcodes for their profiles, which can be overridden by parents.

Along with kid profiles, YouTube Kids is gaining a new setup process with clearer parental controls that offer up more detailed information.

Today's new profile feature is available in Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Ghana, India, Jamaica, Japan, Kenya, Malaysia, Mexico, Nepal, New Zealand, Nigeria, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Uganda, United States, and Zimbabwe.

The YouTube Kids app is designed to give children a way to watch kid-appropriate YouTube content while filtering out mature content that's not suitable for younger audiences.

YouTube Kids can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: YouTube Kids App Gains New Look, Kid Profiles and Updated Parental Controls

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Nothing but play doh surprise and toy unwrapping videos ready to melt the little one's mind.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
As a parent to two children, I welcome multiple profiles. As it is, featured contents are definitely geared toward much younger kids.

The app is missing some major features, however:
  • Channel subscription
  • Favorites and history
  • Playlists

utsava

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2004
Why there is no YouTube Kids Apple TV app is beyond me... seems like such low hanging fruit.

Reactions: Stargher

ehrens

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2013
the 651
Age-dependent kid profiles are a welcome addition. Hopefully this will cut down on some of the fake surgery videos and other marginally inappropriate content my 4 year old gets to see.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
If only this app was available in more countries in Europe like the Netherlands. I would love to try it out, although then YouTube Red should also become available here because the ads in a kids app I don't like.

Although the ads thing is why I would stick to the current Kids account on Netflix and our Dutch (NPO Zappelin app) apps which don't have any ads.

"Use YouTube Kids with YouTube Red and let your kids learn and laugh with their favorite characters without paid ads. And with offline videos you’ll always have videos when you need them – whether you’re in the car or on grandma’s couch.

"YouTube Kids contains paid ads in order to offer the app for free. Your child may also see videos with commercial content from YouTube creators that are not paid ads. For more information, please check out our Parental Guide.
"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.