Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today announced that YouTube Music on the web and the YouTube Music app for iOS devices now offer podcasts in the United States. Users who watch podcasts through the main YouTube app can now continue listening to them through YouTube Music.

youtube-music-podcasts.jpg

Podcasts on YouTube Music are free, with no Premium subscription required. Podcasts are available on-demand, offline, and can be listened to in the background and while casting, with options to swap between audio and video versions.

Google says that the podcast listening experience on YouTube Music is designed to complement the video podcast experience that's available on YouTube. Podcasts will be available through the Home tab by tapping on the Podcasts section at the top of the screen.

There is an Explore feature for finding popular podcasts based on categories that include gaming, music, true crime, comedy, health and fitness, business, and society and culture, plus a search tab for locating specific content.

Podcasts in YouTube Music are rolling out to U.S. users starting today, but Google says support is being implemented "gradually" so it may take a few days for the podcasts to show up in the YouTube Music app and on the web. While podcasts are limited to the United States at the current time, Google has plans to bring access to other regions in the future.

Article Link: YouTube Music Gains Audio Podcasts on iOS and Web

myusernamedoesnotmatter

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2023
Why does Google always do these slow and cumbersome "gradual" updates? It took weeks for one of my devices to get picture in picture a week ago, which was a """feature""" I was really looking forward to.

Cheers to the Youtube Music subscribers, whoever they may be.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Probably to find your friends to share playlists with or something?

A playlist is nothing more than an attachment which should be as simple as a "share" and sent to the messages app. Google doesn't need access to the contact(s) unless the Google app were sending the list. I'll pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: klasma and levander

levander

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
There was a lot of talk that if in the YouTube app, you played a video, then put the app in the background and let the video keep playing (needed the $10/month YouTube Premium for this), that the video was no longer being downloaded. This was useful for like when you were in your car and didn’t want to use the data allowance in your mobile phone plan to download video you weren’t watching.

But this turned out to be ******** because YouTube doesn’t offer separate audio and video streams to download. If you were downloading the video, you were also downloading the video.

This article makes it sound like that feature is back again in the YouTube Music app. I hope it’s not ******** again.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Some of the apple apps may shock you with their privacy score card.

Yes and not happy about some of them either but my point is why would I want to allow Google to harvest more data than they already do by adding their apps to my devices.

Not happy that anyone collects user data for sale to the highest bidder but I trust Apple far more than Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Facebook, etc.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
Ah, YouTube Music, an app that exists so that no matter what problems you might have with Apple Music or Spotify or Tidal or whatever else, you can always rest secure knowing that your music service of choice is still much better than the hot mess that is the YouTube Music app. :p

ELman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
I use Apple Music and sometimes YouTube music since it's included with my YouTube Premium Subscription. I have found that YTM does a much better job of creating playlist and playing the stuff I enjoy much better than Apple Music.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
But this turned out to be ******** because YouTube doesn’t offer separate audio and video streams to download. If you were downloading the video, you were also downloading the video.
YouTube Music uses audio-only streams, so it must be possible at least in principle.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I use Apple Music and sometimes YouTube music since it's included with my YouTube Premium Subscription. I have found that YTM does a much better job of creating playlist and playing the stuff I enjoy much better than Apple Music.
One great thing about YouTube Music is that it includes all music content published by users on YouTube, and thus isn't limited to what the music labels choose to provide.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I really don't see the point in this app. All the music I like/discover is on the actual YouTube app.
You save mobile data due to audio-only streaming, you get search results specifically for songs and albums, you get a weekly "discovery" music playlist (plus other auto-generated playlists), and auto-play only selects music content. It a,so has a separate "current playlist" state from the regular YouTube app, which is useful.

Reactions: Mihailo88

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
One great thing about YouTube Music is that it includes all music content published by users on YouTube, and thus isn't limited to what the music labels choose to provide.

I love this about YT Music. There are a couple of live sets and other tracks that are only available through YouTube. It can be messy, but it's a really great feature and differentiator from other services.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.