Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dustin_

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2021
Banderas Bay, Mexico
this is awesome! we were already subscribed to youtube premium, but now that i can directly integrate youtube music w homepods i went ahead & dropped our apple one sub. saving ~$12/USD/mo. thanks apple! ☺️

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I've been YT Premium for years now, so this is great news. I'm extremely close to canceling my Spotify account. I'll probably need to manually duplicate my playlists to Apple Music which will be a PITA.
Absolutely. I got rid of Spotify years ago. YT Premium is fantastic.

PascalOS

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2023
It didn’t work on my HomePods. I added successfully YouTube Music to Home App and gave required permissions.

When I speak „Play something on YouTube Music” Siri says “now playing my super mix on YouTube Music” but nothing is playing…

Do you have similar problem on your HomePods?

Reboot of everything didn’t resolve the problem.

abracadaver

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2021
Set up worked for me, although I had to force close and re-open the Youtube Music app to get the option to make it available in the Home app. What other services are supported? Is it still just Pandora, Deezer, and Tune In, along with YT now?

bejib66000

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2022
Huh... didn't know you can get just YouTube Music, but makes sense. More people get YouTube Premium, while wishing they could leave off YT Music and save the $$. Did know one person who actually got YouTube Premium only for YT Music! One nice feature he mentioned was you can upload your own music on there and access it anywhere!
I enjoy it for integrated video clips; it's like having your personal MTV on your phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: ackmondual

iaian7

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2010
Rochester Hills, MI
I’ve been waiting for this a long time! Unfortunately I can’t get past an instant app crash every time I try to tap on “connect with HomePod” in the app. Everything (iOS, HomeKit platform, HomePod Minis, and the YTM app) is fully up to date, and rebooting the phone and waiting overnight hasn’t solved it. 🤷‍♂️

iaian7

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2010
Rochester Hills, MI
🤷‍♂️
Thanks to further research, I have an update: appears to be a YouTube account identity issue. Switching to the (same account) gmail identity allowed me to set up HomePod support as expected. I was then able to switch back to my YouTube identity (with multiple years of playlists and favourites!) and while it initially gave me a failure error, attempting again finally seemed to work, and it even lists my YouTube identity in HomeKit settings. Except that when I ask “Siri, play some music” and the HomePod responds “ok, playing your YouTube music super mix” it plays random tracks that have no relation to my listening preferences. Seems to still be playing from my never-used gmail identity. 😩

israndy

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2008
I go into Settings on my iPhone and I don't see an option for Connected apps....

Spent the morning on the horn with Google Support, it went as expected. I'm in the US, anyone gotten the instructions in the article to work?

macvinc6

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
I go into Settings on my iPhone and I don't see an option for Connected apps....

Spent the morning on the horn with Google Support, it went as expected. I'm in the US, anyone gotten the instructions in the article to wor

Spent the morning on the horn with Google Support, it went as expected. I'm in the US, anyone gotten the instructions in the article to work?
Force close the YouTube Music App, then it will appear.

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Can't see the 'Default' option and only have Apple Music in that area (going by the article's instructions). Anyone else have this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.