Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

YouTube today announced the launch of a new syncing feature that allows an iOS or Android device to connect to a TV that has the YouTube app, allowing the connected device to be used for commenting, liking videos, and more.

youtube-tv-smartphone-integration.jpg

According to YouTube, people were already using the mobile app to engage with YouTube videos watched on TV sets, and the company decided to take advantage of that to improve the YouTube experience on the TV.

When watching YouTube on TV, users can open up the mobile YouTube app and then tap on "Connect" to sync the device to the TV. Using the feature requires being logged in to the same YouTube account on both the TV and the device that it is connecting to.

After connecting, the YouTube video being watched on the TV can be interacted with on the device, offering access to comments, likes, video descriptions, sharing tools, and channel membership options like donations. This adds to already available functionality that previously let the mobile YouTube app be used for playing, pausing, rewinding, and fast forwarding on the TV.

Brynn Evans, YouTube on TV head of design, told The Verge that remotes offer a poor experience for interaction with content on the TV. "The remote's clunky, every remote's different, there's a million different buttons. They're all bad," she said.

The feature is rolling out starting today, and TVs or set-top boxes must be updated to the latest version of the YouTube app.

Article Link: YouTube on TVs Now Supports iPhone Syncing for Easier Access to Commenting, Liking and More

Reactions: Saipher

T Coma

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2015
Flyover Country, USA

After connecting, the YouTube video being watched on the TV can be interacted with on the device, offering access to comments, likes, video descriptions, sharing tools, and channel membership options like donations. This adds to already available functionality that previously let the mobile YouTube app be used for playing, pausing, rewinding, and fast forwarding on the TV.

Brynn Evans, YouTube on TV head of design, told The Verge that remotes offer a poor experience for interaction with content on the TV. "The remote's clunky, every remote's different, there's a million different buttons. They're all bad," she said.

TIL something.

Very true that the TV remote is not a good input device for youtube. I have multiple FireTVs in our home tavern mainly for a sports/dive bar ambiance, playing almost only live or classic sports and/or music video compilations in the background. Often we'll want to search something up to play for guests and the TV remote is always a challenge, especially considering how long the user has been, ahem, enjoying the rest of the ambiance. Fringe case, perhaps, but being able to control the TVs easily from the app is a plus in most situations vs. a TV remote. As long as the app will work for searching, this will be a boon to the bar.

Reactions: MareLuce

tkaravou

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2020
yah, rather than whine about ads... I paid for the membership and it's worth every penny to me.

I watch almost as much youtube as other streams. money well spent.

This addition will be great to like and get the description notes from the current video. going to update ASAP.
It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't force YouTube Music on you. Remove the $10 for YT Music and I'm in

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't force YouTube Music on you. Remove the $10 for YT Music and I'm in

I think i am a family plan. around $16?

But yes. i do not use the music at all.

The family plan is great since I have 4 other relatives using youtube ad - free now AND THE LOVE ME EVEN MORE!

:)

kiensoy

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2008
yah, rather than whine about ads... I paid for the membership and it's worth every penny to me.

This addition will be great to like and get the description notes from the current video. going to update ASAP.
I also have premium and I agree it’s worth it. I cannot see myself going back to watching ads. The included YouTube Music is pretty good too. They even have a nice Apple Watch app. I might even cancel Spotify.

MrRom92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2021
I genuinely don’t understand how this differs from how the YouTube apps for TV and iOS have already functioned together, for several years by this point. What am I missing here?

Reactions: ikir

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I feel like I've had this for awhile. But improvement is always welcomed.

If you use YouTube frequently, I can't recommend Youtube Premium enough. I haven't watched ads in years, on any device.

Honestly, out of ALL my subscriptions (Netflix, Hulu, HBOMax, Amazon Prime, Youtube TV, etc etc), the last one to go would be Youtube Premium. I get the MOST value out of it, by far.
Same here. I absolutely loathe the fact that I have to pay to remove ads on a platform that used to have none, but I have to admit, “they got me.” And it’s by far the most value I’ve gotten from a streaming service yet. Jumping from video to video without a single ad is a game changer. I watch more YouTube than any other service by a mile.

(Obligatory disclaimer: Yes, I know ad blockers on the computer bypass the ads, but I primarily watch on TV through the official app and that option isn’t available)

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
This is a welcome change because I find myself opening up the app on my phone to read comments or comment on a video I’m watching on my TV. I’d imagine this will require a couple of less taps than the current way of viewing comments, which requires: opening up the app, going to my history, tapping the video that I’m watching, and then tapping the pause button my phone.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA

The main downside would seem to be that this gives them even more reason not to improve the Apple TV version of the YouTube app. Baby steps.

segundo

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2003
TIL something.

Very true that the TV remote is not a good input device for youtube. I have multiple FireTVs in our home tavern mainly for a sports/dive bar ambiance, playing almost only live or classic sports and/or music video compilations in the background. Often we'll want to search something up to play for guests and the TV remote is always a challenge, especially considering how long the user has been, ahem, enjoying the rest of the ambiance. Fringe case, perhaps, but being able to control the TVs easily from the app is a plus in most situations vs. a TV remote. As long as the app will work for searching, this will be a boon to the bar.

You learned something? I feel like I just learned something. A "home tavern" as you described it sounds brilliant.

Please tell me more!

Is this like a basement you've mounted TVs in with their associated FireTV sticks? Have something set up for music too? Do you watch sports there? Have a beer or wine fridge? Have friends over a decent amount?

x7wolverines7x

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2022
Ann Arbor, Michigan

YouTube today announced the launch of a new syncing feature that allows an iOS or Android device to connect to a TV that has the YouTube app, allowing the connected device to be used for commenting, liking videos, and more.

youtube-tv-smartphone-integration.jpg

According to YouTube, people were already using the mobile app to engage with YouTube videos watched on TV sets, and the company decided to take advantage of that to improve the YouTube experience on the TV.

When watching YouTube on TV, users can open up the mobile YouTube app and then tap on "Connect" to sync the device to the TV. Using the feature requires being logged in to the same YouTube account on both the TV and the device that it is connecting to.

The feature is rolling out starting today, and TVs or set-top boxes must be updated to the latest version of the YouTube app.

Article Link: YouTube on TVs Now Supports iPhone Syncing for Easier Access to Commenting, Liking and More
Picture and picture is now gone for iOS YouTube and YouTube tv.

T Coma

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2015
Flyover Country, USA
You learned something? I feel like I just learned something. A "home tavern" as you described it sounds brilliant.

Please tell me more!

Is this like a basement you've mounted TVs in with their associated FireTV sticks? Have something set up for music too? Do you watch sports there? Have a beer or wine fridge? Have friends over a decent amount?
yes, all of the above

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.