Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hangkous

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2011
iOS 14 introduced native Picture in Picture capability to the iPhone for the first time, however, apps have to explicitly support the feature. YouTube's native app has never supported Picture in Picture (..). There have been reports that YouTube has been testing this feature, but there have been no announcements.

It works for me in the YouTube app and the website since a few days (Dutch iPhone 11 Pro). I don't have a subscription.

Tapoma

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2020
YouTube provides nearly unlimited entertainment. You think they give this out for free? Ads are the only thing that’s keeping the website running. Those servers storing those videos aren’t cheap to maintain. It’s also how creators get paid as well, the creators can choose how many ads show up in a video.

They have a paid subscription if you don’t want to see ads, what’s there to complain about again?
The issue with YouTube Premium is the cost. It is not providing sufficient value for money for us as customers. £11.99 per month to remove ads is completely excessive, and they have purposely degraded the free experience (in app) in order to annoy customers into subscribing.

If Google let us pay to remove ads in the app and have background playback at a reasonable price I’d pay for it because I use the YouTube app a lot. But they bundle it with a music streaming service I have no interest in, and YouTube originals which I also have no interest in.

ctg7w6

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
YouTube provides nearly unlimited entertainment. You think they give this out for free? Ads are the only thing that’s keeping the website running. Those servers storing those videos aren’t cheap to maintain. It’s also how creators get paid as well, the creators can choose how many ads show up in a video.

They have a paid subscription if you don’t want to see ads, what’s there to complain about again?

oh look, a company shill. It used to be that if someone said something like this they probably worked at the company. But nowadays we have consumers who white knight companies, they take what the company gives them and they ask for pretty please more.

my complaint is that I pay for the premium service and I do not get the features that other people receive through their premium subscription.

Reactions: matrix07

ruimpinho

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2011
Make it available in the App! If necessary, disable it when the PiP window is hidden to the side. Come on Google!

Okasian

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2017
oh this is nice- how about what everybody wants 4K on ATV

Has Apple still not permitted VP9 to run on ATV? I know they didn’t for years so it’s understandable that Google would take their sweet ass time.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
PIP should be enabled for EVERY (video) app. This should be a default OS setting which cannot be overridden by any app. Just like you can have PIP in windows, it should be an option in Andorid and iOS, there is no good reason why it shouldnt work.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012

So now we should feel bad about Google not making enough money with YouTube? Oh poor them

Lazyass0

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2020
There is also or a bug or a feature in iOS/iPadOS 14 when you airplay only music from youtube the picture goes black and Youtube app doesn't prevent device auto lock screen ... even if you are in full screen mode ... before 14 there was picture and it prevented from locking screen automatically !

jackychi

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2020
Enabling in Safari works perfect for me as that is how I view YouTube in my iPhone. I have an adblocker that completely removes all ads embedded to the videos.

Same on my iPad. Uninstalled the app some time ago. I wanted to help the "creators" but having to watch a 10:01+ minute video, which is filled with +4 minutes of crap and in video ads.
On top of that you get ads every ~3 minutes. I understand that people work for the videos and need the revenue but there is a fine line between wanting to earn and greed. Since 90% of youtubers go for greed, nobody will get revenue from me.

Reactions: BulkSlash

Snapperjw

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
Come on it is clear that YouTube are playing some sort of game here with Apple. At one point during the Beta it was all working nicely ( 4K resolution on iPad, external monitor showing fullscreen, etc ) but once ios14 officially came out we went back a step.

YouTube give with one hand but takeaway with the other

Reactions: eagleglen

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
YouTube Premium costs $11.99 per month in the U.S., but if you subscribe through the YouTube app for iOS you will end up paying $15.99 due to the 30% App Store commission.

How does Google get away with this by the way? I thought Apple does not allow this? I remember Spotify and even Netflix (?) did that and Apple was up their A.

Its redic that not even premium users get PiP in the App yet, only background seems to work.

Reactions: BulkSlash

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA

That's exactly why I was more than happy to pay for Red (now premium) because I feel it is wrong about using an ad blocker to take money away from the creators. Doing it this way I feel everyone wins. I don't have to see ads, and the creators still get revenue from Red / Premium views (that is unless things have changed that I am not aware of.)

As far as PIP, it's not a feature I usually use for any service. I rarely watch videos on my iOS devices directly as well. I typically will use the device as a remote, and cast to a compatible device. Either a Chromecast, or cast enabled device.
I've used AirPlay a few times, but usually use cast because it's compatible with more devices and apps. (At least in my use case)

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Enabling in Safari works perfect for me as that is how I view YouTube in my iPhone. I have an adblocker that completely removes all ads embedded to the videos.

You have an iOS adblocker that removes YT ads in iOS Safari? Which one is it?

Lazyass0

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2020
They’ve blocked background airplay on the app too. And I’m a premium subscriber. Well, I was.

Not just background, they have blocked also prevent of lock screen when airplay in foreground or they did black screen when airplay only audio and because of that black screen iphone/ipad locks the screen automaticaly which is prevented when playing some video on screen ... !!! (definitely there is code in YT app that do black screen instead of video when airplay only audio)

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Well that was appreciated. Thanks Google for doing the right thing.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I am one of those who finally succumbed to YouTube premium, at least in trial. The ads on YouTube have become really aggressive. Decided to just go premium and with it, youtube music, and I stopped my spotify premium.

I don't usually bother with PiP (I can just do split screen instead on my Android). But being able to easily listen to things while screen off is useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.