Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google is rolling out a new "Explore" tab in its official YouTube mobile app after several months of experiments and testing.

youtube-explore-tab.jpg

The new tab replaces the "Trending" tab, and includes the same trending content but also links to destination pages of YouTube's existing video categories, including Gaming, Music, News, and more. As Google explains:
With Explore, you not only have access to Trending videos, but also to destination pages for some popular content categories like Gaming, Music, Fashion & Beauty, Learning and more - all from one place.
Below the category links is a carousel of videos from the latest "Creator on the Rise" or "Artist on the Rise." The carousel is updated daily, providing additional exposure for the platform's content creators.

Below that is the typical scrolling vertical list of trending videos, which can also be accessed from the top of the page using the Trending button, which is foremost in the new links. According to Google, Trending displays the same list of trending videos to all users, wherever they are in the world.

As it stands, there's no way to create custom destination pages or personalized category links, and the list of pre-made categories isn't particularly comprehensive, so hopefully that's something Google plans to add in time.

YouTube is a free download for iPhone and iPad. [Direct Link]

Article Link: YouTube Rolls Out New 'Explore' Tab to All Users on Mobile

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
Google still doesn't support Dark Mode, not even on search page.
Yup, it’s ridiculous. The MacRumors website is a prime example how a website should be with the automatic light/dark mode switching. Of course not every company has the capacity to build a proper dark mode theme. But a company such as Google, come on ?

xmr

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2020
Why is YouTube adding things like this instead of adding fundamental iOS features like automatic dark mode? :rolleyes:

Or even more fundamental things like supporting 4K video on iOS? It's crazy that it's not supported!!

Reactions: max2

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
Yup, it’s ridiculous. The MacRumors website is a prime example how a website should be with the automatic light/dark mode switching. Of course not every company has the capacity to build a proper dark mode theme. But a company such as Google, come on ?
Why should they do? Google does not love Apple.
[automerge]1584112243[/automerge]
Or even more fundamental things like supporting 4K video on iOS? It's crazy that it's not supported!!
[automerge]1584112472[/automerge]
Yep, just checked and I have the explore tab now.
Yep, great of you to share that with us! So what was your next step?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: td2243 and max2

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
But they do love the revenue all those iOS users bring them.
[automerge]1584117894[/automerge]
Not sure why a YouTube development is a news item on Mac Rumors
Because it's a new feature on a very widely used app on a very popular Apple device.
You chose to come to a site reporting every scrap of Apple-related info. This is some of that.

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
when will goog/utube roll back all the ads that ruin the experience that used to be a good old ad free utube

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
Yup, the ads in the app before a video starts to play get increasingly annoying. In the past, there was at most 1 ad that could be skipped soon and now I sometimes see 2 ads which on top aren't skippable. Plus the fact that vertical ads cover most of the screen sometimes. Plus the fact that e. g. at the end of a video when an ad plays and you are deeply scrolled down in the comments section it just jumps up. All in all the YouTube app isn't really enjoyable as it is right now in my opinion.

Unfortunately I don't think there's going to change anything in the future regarding this.

Reactions: DaveN

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
when will goog/utube roll back all the ads that ruin the experience that used to be a good old ad free utube
When? Never. Ad-free youtube was not-making-money youtube. I'm pretty sure they kinda like making money.

I'd be more tempted to pay the subscription for "ad free" youtube, except half the things I watch have sponsor commercials done by the individual youtubers, embedded in the videos, and those won't go away by paying money to youtube, so it'd be paying monthly to have some of the ads go away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.