Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

YouTube today expanded new chat and sharing features to all YouTube users around the world, making it easier to share and discuss videos right within the YouTube app for iOS devices.

The video sharing functionality was first launched earlier this year in Canada and for some users in North America, and it is now available for all users worldwide.

YouTube's new sharing and chat features allow YouTube users to select a video to share with friends and family and then chat about those shared videos with text, emoji, and more. Group messages discussing shared videos can include up to 30 people.

The sharing features are accessible through a new "Shared" tab in the YouTube app for iOS, which replaces Activity. Sharing a video can be done by adding friends via a text message or sending them a link through email or another social network.
Starting today, you can share videos with your friends and family directly on YouTube. Not only can you share and receive videos in the app, you can also chat about them right on YouTube, reply with another video, invite others to the conversation, and more. We think it'll make sharing easier, faster and more fun on your phone. And if you want to continue sharing videos through other apps, you can still do that too.
YouTube can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: YouTube Rolls Out New Sharing and Chat Features to All iOS Users

Ishayu

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2012
Denmark
So what, exactly, is the advantage of this over simply sending people an SMS or iMessage with a YouTube link, and then Messages inlines the video, and then you can chat about it?

Also, my family doesn't have YouTube accounts. Very few people actually do. Most YouTube views are anonymous.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
So what, exactly, is the advantage of this over simply sending people an SMS or iMessage with a YouTube link, and then Messages inlines the video, and then you can chat about it?

Also, my family doesn't have YouTube accounts. Very few people actually do. Most YouTube views are anonymous.
It's within the Youtube app. It's about every company's seemingly concentrated focus on keeping users engaged within an app. If your family doesn't have YT accounts, this probably isn't for you guys.

Allewsive

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2015
All I want from Youtube is PiP support.

Yah me too.

And I hate how much they are pushing the “Shared” tab. If you tap activity it goes to Shared first making you swipe over. Just a forced way of pushing their chat on us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.