Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Yeah, YT is completely unusable on a phone, I almost never bother with it. On the desktop, with ad block, however, it's wonderful.

Someone else made a similar comment on this thread, and when I asked them to elaborate they didn't respond. So would you mind elaborating how the YouTube iOS app is "completely unusable"? I find that strong statement quite puzzling after having used the app just fine for years.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Still waiting for PIP to rollout to my yt premium account. It was working for a long time during their 'test phase' and then one day google decided to stop it working ..... now have to wait for them to arbitrarily re-allow it server side on my account and still paying 20 euros a month for a premium yt family plan ...

mikethemartian

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2017
Melbourne, FL
I really don’t understand the logic of their advertising algorithm. I don’t mind watching a short ad before a video I want to see but I’ll be watching a 10 to 15 minute video and suddenly an ad with a 1 hour run time starts.

KevinN206

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2009
Every time I use the YouTube app I'm stunned by it's contempt for the user. You'd be hard-pressed to design a worse video player.
Can you explain what's so bad about the design such that it's the "worse video player"? I use it both on Android and iOS, and it works no worse than any other video players. What other video players that are better?

Reactions: usagora

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
Someone else made a similar comment on this thread, and when I asked them to elaborate they didn't respond. So would you mind elaborating how the YouTube iOS app is "completely unusable"? I find that strong statement quite puzzling after having used the app just fine for years.
Firstly, the ads annoy me. Maybe I'm too used to the ad-free version. Secondly, I find the user interface clunky. Thirdly, it is insanely annoying that you can't put a song on YT, and then have it continue to play in the background.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Firstly, the ads annoy me. Maybe I'm too used to the ad-free version. Secondly, I find the user interface clunky. Thirdly, it is insanely annoying that you can't put a song on YT, and then have it continue to play in the background.

Well, that's precisely what YT Premium gets you (among other things): no ads and background play (whether music or any other video) and why I subscribe to it. Not sure in what ways you find the interface "clunky", but I certainly have no issues using the app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.