Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Any companies that wants to shove autoplay video should at least compensate our wireless phone bill.

Reactions: tonyr6

whyamihere

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
'nati
Guess it's just me, but I never deliberately open the YouTube app. Only time it ever opens is if I click a YT link from someone or via Safari... in which case it opens the app automatically to the video I want to watch (rather than auto-playing videos I don't care about).

Reactions: tonyr6

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
This is why I run google sites in Safari on my phone where I can control them better. Except Google Maps, and even that I only use when I have to.
[doublepost=1507744863][/doublepost]Also, Autoplay is the bane of a lot of current Apple TV apps. I hope Apple cracks down on that next.

graderguy

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2017
I hate Dennismillerville, KS

YouTube-2.9-for-iOS-app-icon-small.jpg
Google is reportedly testing a new feature for the YouTube app in which featured videos on the home screen start to play without the user's permission.

According to AndroidCentral, some users are seeing the first video featured in the Home section automatically play as soon as they open the YouTube app, with subtitles replacing the muted audio.

The video starts from the beginning and plays all the way through if the user allows it, while scrolling further down the Home section causes subsequent videos to also autoplay as they appear on the screen.

While the default behavior is obviously intended to give users a preview of the contents of featured videos, the experimental feature is likely to be seen by some as a distraction, bad news for mobile data limits, or a drain on battery life.

Fortunately, it looks like the autoplay feature can be turned off in Account -> Settings -> General, where a new "Play as you browse" toggle has been added. Toggling the feature also brings up an additional option to only allow autoplay when connected to WiFi, which should go some way to assuage concerns about the feature eating up data allowances.

It's not clear if or when the autoplay feature will be rolled out to all mobile users, but we'll keep an eye out for it in future updates to the official YouTube iOS app.

Article Link: YouTube Testing Autoplaying Videos in Mobile App Home Screen
[doublepost=1507749620][/doublepost]

YouTube-2.9-for-iOS-app-icon-small.jpg
Google is reportedly testing a new feature for the YouTube app in which featured videos on the home screen start to play without the user's permission.

According to AndroidCentral, some users are seeing the first video featured in the Home section automatically play as soon as they open the YouTube app, with subtitles replacing the muted audio.

The video starts from the beginning and plays all the way through if the user allows it, while scrolling further down the Home section causes subsequent videos to also autoplay as they appear on the screen.

While the default behavior is obviously intended to give users a preview of the contents of featured videos, the experimental feature is likely to be seen by some as a distraction, bad news for mobile data limits, or a drain on battery life.

Fortunately, it looks like the autoplay feature can be turned off in Account -> Settings -> General, where a new "Play as you browse" toggle has been added. Toggling the feature also brings up an additional option to only allow autoplay when connected to WiFi, which should go some way to assuage concerns about the feature eating up data allowances.

It's not clear if or when the autoplay feature will be rolled out to all mobile users, but we'll keep an eye out for it in future updates to the official YouTube iOS app.

Article Link: YouTube Testing Autoplaying Videos in Mobile App Home Screen

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
They need to disable the auto-playing of the next random video after a video a watch. There’s no control for this. Annoying in the extreme.
I have autoplay turned off (somewhere in the settings), because that drives me to throw things.

Actually, it may simply be the "Autoplay" switch next to "Up next".
[doublepost=1507754773][/doublepost]
Is there anyone that likes autoplay videos with audio?
I'm halfway convinced the main purpose of autoplay is to collect all that sweet ad revenue from ad plays for 8 hours if someone falls asleep watching YouTube.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.