Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spiddyman007

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2017
Remember when we complained about os fragmentation...now it’s fragmentation of the music industry. Everybody wants in on it. Competition is good, but there’s so many out there now each with their own attempt at an eco system.
That’s what they said about iTunes and the vcr back in the 80s. But what record companies don’t understand is that those services make the United States as a whole more interested in music.

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
Tidal here. No way I´m treating my Kefs with compressed lossy sound.

I understand wanting to avoid compression wherever possible, but blind tests really do prove that there is almost absolutely no difference between a 320 kbps mp3 and a FLAC. The difference between 160 kbps is even very hard to tell as well. In the long list of factors influencing audio quality, file size compression is fairly close to the bottom in terms of how much it affects quality. Of course, it can be a huge factor if it's something like 96kbps or lower, but above that you have to be fairly discerning, and above 320 kbps it's really just a placebo.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Late to the table, YouTube is.

In any case, streaming music services are not the most profitable segment of the music industry. I suppose YouTube can do what they like, but I won't be subscribing.
Which spells trouble for Spotify. Youtube (Google) wouldn't care about the music streaming part not making money, as they are making money from ads. Apple is also similar, as their main profits come from hardware sales. Spotify, on the other hand, will be pushed more and more into a corner.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I wonder what they might try to do about all the free music already available on YouTube.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
I wonder what they might try to do about all the free music already available on YouTube.

What they already keep doing? Incomplete offering, national restrictions, in screen advertisments, low quality, no standardized formats, [free to enter more]....

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
Google nooooooo! Just make one thing and stick with it.

Not their forte. They rarely seem to stick with the additional services they offer.

I'm confused, how does Youtube's Music service fit in with Google Play Music?

Uhhhh isn’t YouTube Red bundled with Google Play Music...?

So Google is going to have... 2 different streaming services? Cool? I guess?

I don't believe so. As has been rumored for months, I think this is a rebranding thing where Google Play Music (never a good name) and Youtube Red will be merged into a new service, hence the remix name. It would make sense since you already get both when you pay for one of the two.

I wonder what that means to grandfathered GPM plans though? I guess we will know in a few months.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I woke up, saw this story and thread and thought I was looking at a very old article. Why is this being touted as something "new" for google? I've been enjoying Google Play Music since it launched. I find it superior to Apple Music and others (completely subjective). I loved when I was then grandfathered into YouTube Red and don't have to deal with Ads on YouTube. I wonder why there needs to be renegotiations and this is being touted as a new space they are entering. So odd.

Reactions: itguy06

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I hope they ditch the crappy MP3 currently Play Music uses. It sounds the worst of all the services and many tracks play like a scratched up CD.
[doublepost=1512740453][/doublepost]
I understand wanting to avoid compression wherever possible, but blind tests really do prove that there is almost absolutely no difference between a 320 kbps mp3 and a FLAC. The difference between 160 kbps is even very hard to tell as well. In the long list of factors influencing audio quality, file size compression is fairly close to the bottom in terms of how much it affects quality. Of course, it can be a huge factor if it's something like 96kbps or lower, but above that you have to be fairly discerning, and above 320 kbps it's really just a placebo.
Then you are deaf. I can easily tell the difference. I guess you can't even tell the difference between 720p and 1080p and it does not matter if you are 5ft away. I just got a 4K 43" TV and I can easily tell the difference between 1080p and 4K. 1080p looks great but 4K blows it away sitting far away on my so called small screen where you say it does not matter.

Play Music sounds bad. I hope YouTube music uses AAC or there V9 codec something better than MP3.

Last edited:

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
Oh yay. Another Google monstrosity that I'll be flogged by advertisements about whenever I visit YT.

Ever GD time I open youtube app: GET RED.

Reactions: WWPD

everythingapplerainbow

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2017
1. Google never care about 3rd world countries.
2. you might never have a real PC or Mac app for that
3. get ready for "machine learning" playlist, guys

WWPD

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2015
Ten Forward
I'm holding off for Microsoft Music, with the exclusive Steve Ballmer "Developers" Remix.
steve-ballmer_costume-thumb-450x272-16846.jpg

itguy06

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2006
I hope they ditch the crappy MP3 currently Play Music uses. It sounds the worst of all the services and many tracks play like a scratched up CD.

I use GPM. Turn up the quality to High and it sounds great, even on decent headphones. I've not heard any scratchy CD's or low bitrate artifacts on High.

Then you are deaf. I can easily tell the difference.

Doubtful if blind and randomized on consumer grade stuff.

I guess you can't even tell the difference between 720p and 1080p and it does not matter if you are 5ft away. I just got a 4K 43" TV and I can easily tell the difference between 1080p and 4K. 1080p looks great but 4K blows it away sitting far away on my so called small screen where you say it does not matter.

You're seeing the increased color information and color space of 4k vs the increased resolution, especially on small sets at a distance away. That's why you "easily" see the difference. The resolution most likely will not be noticed.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Late to the table, YouTube is.

In any case, streaming music services are not the most profitable segment of the music industry. I suppose YouTube can do what they like, but I won't be subscribing.

They've had YouTube music for awhile now and Google already has Google Play Music. Between those two services, I'm not really sure what Google/Alphabet is thinking. Too much fragmentation!

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
[doublepost=1512740453][/doublepost]
Then you are deaf. I can easily tell the difference. I guess you can't even tell the difference between 720p and 1080p and it does not matter if you are 5ft away. I just got a 4K 43" TV and I can easily tell the difference between 1080p and 4K. 1080p looks great but 4K blows it away sitting far away on my so called small screen where you say it does not matter.

Play Music sounds bad. I hope YouTube music uses AAC or there V9 codec something better than MP3.

Believe me, I sit 4 feet from my 40" 4K TV for a reason. There is a clear difference. But video resolution is not analogous to music compression. I have some pretty great headphones: the Audio Technica ATH M50x, and when I take this test I just can't hear any major distinctions between the various compression rates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.