Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

youtube_social_circle_red-200x200.png
YouTube is working on a new feature called "Shorts" that will replicate the short videos shared on popular social networking app TikTok, reports The Information.

YouTube's Shorts will exist within the current YouTube mobile app and will see YouTube offering a feed of brief videos posted by YouTube users that will be able to take advantage of YouTube's catalog of licensed music.

Chinese-owned social media app TikTok has soared in popularity in recent months, and it has been downloaded more than a billion times. It lets users create short music videos or short looping videos that other TikTok users can watch, and it has easy-to-use editing tools for syncing music to short video clips.

Thus far, no other social networking app has been able to replicate TikTok's success with a similar feature, though there have been some attempts. Facebook has been testing a short video feature called "Lasso" in select countries like Brazil, and has prototyped a similar feature in Instagram.

It's not clear when YouTube might debut the new short video, but it is expected to come out "by the end of the year."

Article Link: YouTube to Launch New 'Shorts' Feature to Rival TikTok

Last edited:

Princejb134

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
just another plot for google to dominate the video industry. This is the same as when instagram put the short clips video like snapchat and snapchat little by little went away

Reactions: kyleh22

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
just another plot for google to dominate the video industry. This is the same as when instagram put the short clips video like snapchat and snapchat little by little went away
Also because A) the whole snapchat idea of disappearing pictures only appeals to a small subset of uses and users, B) Snapchat's UI is a horrible un-intuitive mess.

Reactions: konqerror

goobot

macrumors 604
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
This will be just another of googles failed attempts to try and do everything. I’m sure in a year they will relaunch it under different brand again when this fails.

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
Now, “shorts” already mean something in the video production and film industries, and because now youtube is google’s music streaming service, as well as google’s video rental store, as well as google’s netflix, having a tiktok clone thrown in there with the name shorts of course make perfect sense and zero confusion. I think, what might happen is not that they take over tiktok but might very well ruin YouTube, the parts that work at least.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Will this and the China angle mean that Tiktok will now take it in the shorts?

Mrjoedot

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2012
Asean market
Please murder that app already like how ig ruined vine
[automerge]1585789375[/automerge]
Why would Youtube, the best thing that happened to video consumption since camcorders compete with TikTok?
The trending Market of short videos. Post-millennials especially Asians, do not like long videos. It’s weird but that’s where the money is as well

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

Woochoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Why would Youtube, the best thing that happened to video consumption since camcorders compete with TikTok?

Because that's what kids (and not so kids) want now, and sadly for humanity TikTok is being really successful in that sense so YT/Google want a slice of the pie.

On a side note: before deleting Facebook years ago I took a look at my first comments and pics from 2008 or so, and I could only cringe. I can't imagine what will the actual kids feel in some years when they see themselves doing all that playback ****. This will be fun to watch in some years.

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Also because A) the whole snapchat idea of disappearing pictures only appeals to a small subset of uses and users, B) Snapchat's UI is a horrible un-intuitive mess.

I agree with part B. Snapchat has to be the worst UI in a social media app, just terrible.

I wish YouTube would stick to its segment, I don’t want to see TikTok-style videos, I want tutorials, documentaries, etc. It is already very annoying that they are doing the “stories” like Instagram and Snapchat, and even worst, that they suggest them to me as if I wanted to see that.

Reactions: sideshowuniqueuser
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.