Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

YouTube today announced that its live-streaming service, YouTube TV, is now launching as a dedicated app for smart TVs, streaming devices, and gaming systems. The company also confirmed that an Apple TV app for YouTube TV will launch "in the coming weeks."

youtube-tv-app-2.jpg

Today, YouTube TV will be available on Android TV devices and smart TVs, as well as the Xbox One, Xbox One S, and upcoming Xbox One X.
So today we're excited to unveil the new YouTube TV app built for TV devices. In the next few days, you'll be able to stream live TV through the new YouTube TV app on Android TV devices including NVIDIA SHIELD and TVs with Android TV built-in, such as Sony, as well as on the Xbox One family of devices (Xbox One, Xbox One S, and soon Xbox One X).

In the coming weeks we'll be launching the new app on Smart TVs, such as LG, Samsung, Sony, along with Apple TV.
The new YouTube TV app is similar to the app on mobile, with Home, Live, and Library tabs for viewing content. New features include a dark background, Live guide to look at upcoming shows, and the ability to navigate the app while keeping video running in the background.

youtube-tv-app-1.jpg

YouTube TV originally debuted in early April and continued expanding throughout the spring, and was initially available only for iOS and Android mobile devices, as well as on the web. YouTube TV allows viewers to live stream and watch shows on ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, CW, Disney, ESPN, FX, USA, and dozens of other major cable channels, alongside standard YouTube video content.

Article Link: YouTube TV Announces New Smart TV App With Apple TV Support Coming Soon

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
YouTube TV is advertising the hell out of the World Series, that's for sure. For now, I'm sticking with DIRECTV Now. Hard to beat the initial $35/month offer for 100+ live channels. They have got to get the cloud DVR going, though. The service has been out just shy of a year, and they're one of the only (perhaps the only, now) live TV streaming services that doesn't offer cloud DVR capability.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
Is this coming soon before or after the Amazon Prime coming soon?

Yes, I know that Amazon is the apparent hold up.

FtrV8

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
YouTube TV is advertising the hell out of the World Series, that's for sure. For now, I'm sticking with DIRECTV Now. Hard to beat the initial $35/month offer for 100+ live channels. They have got to get the cloud DVR going, though. The service has been out just shy of a year, and they're one of the only (perhaps the only, now) live TV streaming services that doesn't offer cloud DVR capability.

Was on Hulu and YouTube TV, but after reading your post trying out DirectTV Now. Love it so far!

Yes DVR is much needed.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Was on Hulu and YouTube TV, but after reading your post trying out DirectTV Now. Love it so far!

Yes DVR is much needed.

Good deal! Note that they're no longer offering the 100+ live channels for $35/month. That was a great deal while it was available. I think the 100+ channel package is now $60/month, which is still not bad compared to what our "traditional" DIRECTV bill used to be (something like $120/month for two TVs with no premium channels).

TheHammer

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2017
Will probably still be buggy and recommend me videos ive already watched and disliked

FtrV8

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Good deal! Note that they're no longer offering the 100+ live channels for $35/month. That was a great deal while it was available. I think the 100+ channel package is now $60/month, which is still not bad compared to what our "traditional" DIRECTV bill used to be (something like $120/month for two TVs with no premium channels).

Yes, been looking to cord cut and it’s time. Was spending $212 with Comcast and that was just insane.

Reactions: centauratlas

Chaka Jon

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Palm Springs

Yep, I agreee. Can’t beat the $35/month intro (grandfathered) plan of DIRECTV NOW. And I’ve tried them all recently to compare (except Sling, which is next); Hulu TV, YouTube TV, and XFINITY Stream (just canceled the trial today).

Worst UI goes to Hulu. I don’t know what they did to their original app, but as far as the Live TV, I can could never figure out what was on and when. Barely useable, and a complete mess. Read the reviews.

I thought YouTube TV was the best looking overall, but again, I found finding anything beyond what was currently on live, was cumbersome and time consuming. Also, not available on most steaming TV devices. So it was hard to tell. (I signed up for the trial the first day it went live - Bay Area, and more recently I did another trial under a different email account, to see if improvements had been made in the 4-5 months since I first tried it. I didn’t notice any improvements, and my initial thoughts on it remained).

Both DIRECTV NOW and XFINITY Stream, take a more traditional TV Guide Grid approach, much like what I previously had with Comcast TV (Finally cut that cord for $175/month). Maybe they took this approach because they both come from a background of more tradional services. Neither are perfect and X Stream is still in Beta with no Apple TV app yet (iOS yes). I believe they are currently only on Roku, so I recently bought one to test the XFINITY app. Service was good. But again, doesn’t even come close to what I get from DIRECTV NOW.

And that’s where I’m staying for now.

* ETA: DVR recording isn’t a deal breaker for me with DTV NOW. The two set-top DVR boxes I had for Comcast Cable TV were used maybe once or twice for recording in the 15 years I had them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.